Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,637   Online: 896

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will the whole movie world really stop using film in 2015? I find that impossible to believe. There must be an endless number of movie studios world wide and now that Fuji is out of the business, only Kodak makes film for all these studios. Surely a large percentage will be using film after 2015.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Will the whole movie world really stop using film in 2015? I find that impossible to believe. There must be an endless number of movie studios world wide and now that Fuji is out of the business, only Kodak makes film for all these studios. Surely a large percentage will be using film after 2015.
    If they're willing to pay for the costs, perhaps that's not an unreasonable prospect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/bu...=1&oref=slogin

Although from an energy standpoint, digital in itself is becoming quite the drain, now consuming about 5% of the US energy. Data centers, transferring of data, storage, backup, etc etc etc - and it will only get worse.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Someone wondered where the UK pension-plans products would be made. When the deal went through (as widely discussed here I think) it was stated that the film materials would be made by Kodak at Rochester as before, and so the UK pension-plan has a supply-contract with the 'unbankrupt' Kodak. They cannot make anything themselves, in some spare garage with a dozen Kodak-pensioners round a table
    Last edited by MartinP; 08-21-2013 at 08:41 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Noted "film materials" in Rochester. RA4 could be done in Harrow, UK, if the volume was small enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    ...the UK pension-plan...cannot make anything themselves...
    That is incorrect. When the deal is consummated, around September 1, the new film marketing/distribution company will not only purchase film from Kodak in Rochester to re-sell, it will also own the Harrow plant that still makes color paper. It could theoretically decide (if and when the still undisclosed terms of the agreement allow) to begin making film at Harrow as well. What those films would be like, and how closely they would resemble current Kodak films, if at all, is not knowable at this time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    If they're willing to pay for the costs...
    Storage costs of $208,569 versus $486 for one motion picture for one year!? A million plus dollars for every five years? Good lord. I had no idea. That's insane.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Where does that date 2015 come from? Did I overlook something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    how does that expected drop in the demand for film products overall play into the viability of the films we all love to buy and use if they still need to coat it a mile at a time?
    I wonder if they can coat narrower masters on the same equipment...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Where does that date 2015 come from? Did I overlook something?
    my understanding is the majior US studioes will no longer distubute films to the theaters in 2014, but I dont know if no one will shoot in 35mm.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    That is incorrect. When the deal is consummated, around September 1, the new film marketing/distribution company will not only purchase film from Kodak in Rochester to re-sell, it will also own the Harrow plant that still makes color paper. It could theoretically decide (if and when the still undisclosed terms of the agreement allow) to begin making film at Harrow as well. What those films would be like, and how closely they would resemble current Kodak films, if at all, is not knowable at this time.
    In that way, KPP will control Harrow and their manufacturing lines (Chromogenic Paper). So they should have full control of manufacturing & distribution of Paper. As of film, it should be possible to adapt the Harrow coater but IIRC on a past discussion about it PE deemed it a hard endeavor.
    I guess they could adapt the films to a modified Harrow coater but it would need the retooling of the machine plus the extensive reformulation for each product. Writing about this, Kodak did coat film in the past in the UK, was it Harrow?

I too got 2015 on my mind because of the MP contract between the studios and Kodak. After that, who knows.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Didn't they make film at Harrow as well at one time in the not-so-distant past? It was my understanding that they did. In my freezer are several boxes of Portra 160VC that clearly say "Made in Great Britain." The Pension Plan might do very well to explore bringing back that capability once things are up and running.

Personally, I am more comfortable with a UK based operation rationally looking at the business case of film production at Harrow (or elsewhere outside of Rochester) and developing a business plan to move forward.* UK businesses seem to far more comfortable taking sensible risks** and making the necessary investments to pull off the plan than US companies and their Wall Street mandated profit non-sense. That's been my experience anyway.

* Maybe they'd even consider specialty product runs, not unlike Ilford's ULF runs. Maybe we could see E6 products again (or maybe even Koda... Nah, I ain't going there! )

**as opposed to stupid risks, so I'm talking about things that could reasonably be expected to pan out
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin