Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,315   Online: 1210

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    don't k now if you've seen this one as well.

http://www.laweekly.com/2012-04-12/f...tal-Hollywood/
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Didn't they make film at Harrow as well at one time in the not-so-distant past? It was my understanding that they did. In my freezer are several boxes of Portra 160VC that clearly say "Made in Great Britain." The Pension Plan might do very well to explore bringing back that capability once things are up and running.

Personally, I am more comfortable with a UK based operation rationally looking at the business case of film production at Harrow (or elsewhere outside of Rochester) and developing a business plan to move forward.* UK businesses seem to far more comfortable taking sensible risks** and making the necessary investments to pull off the plan than US companies and their Wall Street mandated profit non-sense. That's been my experience anyway.
    What? Portra 160 made in britain? That seems great, and perhaps they could produce again if they didn't get rid of special machinery and people. But it could be like Ferrania; Needing a readaptation process. As of chemistry, they do colour paper so...
    I was thinking they made film in the UK but eons ago, glad to hear it wasn't that long ago.

Blanksy, that's what I've seen around for a while. I quite disagree with those politics, especially because small theaters will find themselves out of the business. Aside of this, pure digital projection seems like a glorified youtube.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know why you guys keep going on and on about film being made in Harrow. Just because KPP owns the operation does not necessarily mean anyone would think it were a good idea to move everything there. There is zero reason to do that and zero reason (aside from corporate legality games) to not just continue with what they're doing by contracting everything from the Kodak that is making the film now. Moving it all to the UK would be a stupid move of the highest order.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Didn't they make film at Harrow as well at one time in the not-so-distant past? It was my understanding that they did. In my freezer are several boxes of Portra 160VC that clearly say "Made in Great Britain." The Pension Plan might do very well to explore bringing back that capability once things are up and running.
    Film was certainly made in Harrow, I'd guess up to 7-8 years ago. Master rolls were shipped about 150 miles up the M1 Motorway to be cut and packed at the factory at Annesley, near Nottingham (Robin Hood country ). There was a large modern Kodak finished factory there (all now gone), and I have several Ektachome boxes "Finished and packed at Annesley, Nottingham, England". It was quite usual to spot several Kodak trucks whenever travelling on the motorway.

(I'm wondering if, even if film coating resumed at Harrow, there is any finishing equipment left there, as the Nottingham finishing plant was in operation something like 15-20 years...not got the dates to hand, but I know they're on the web somewhere).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Film was certainly made in Harrow, I'd guess up to 7-8 years ago. Master rolls were shipped about 150 miles up the M1 Motorway to be cut and packed at the factory at Annesley, near Nottingham (Robin Hood country ). There was a large modern Kodak finished factory there (all now gone), and I have several Ektachome boxes "Finished and packed at Annesley, Nottingham, England". It was quite usual to spot several Kodak trucks whenever travelling on the motorway.

(I'm wondering if, even if film coating resumed at Harrow, there is any finishing equipment left there, as the Nottingham finishing plant was in operation something like 15-20 years...not got the dates to hand, but I know they're on the web somewhere).
    If not, I'm sure Simon's crew at Ilford Photo in Mobberly would be happy to finish Kodak film. I'm sure they still have the equipment, since they do it in B&W and finishing color I can't imagine would be too terribly different from B&W.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Interesting fact as of film being made in Harrow until ~2006. Now, possibility of making film products again would depend as if they got rid of the specific machinery for it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I don't know why you guys keep going on and on about film being made in Harrow. Just because KPP owns the operation does not necessarily mean anyone would think it were a good idea to move everything there. There is zero reason to do that and zero reason (aside from corporate legality games) to not just continue with what they're doing by contracting everything from the Kodak that is making the film now. Moving it all to the UK would be a stupid move of the highest order.
    Completely agree. As of now, if Rochester is sustainable; nothing should change.
    But concerning (doomsday) thoughts about building 38 being too big and if MP demand dwindles deeming building 38 unsustainable (elaborating further on an apocalyptic situation) shutting down... The KPP wouldn't have its main source of still film.

Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    If not, I'm sure Simon's crew at Ilford Photo in Mobberly would be happy to finish Kodak film. I'm sure they still have the equipment, since they do it in B&W and finishing color I can't imagine would be too terribly different from B&W.
    Indeed, finishing is a different stage of the product and could be outsourced. If not, in mainland EU there are more options too.
    You just reminded me of the "Made in USA, finished in Mexico" of Kodak film. From Rochester to wherever in Mexico there is a long way...

And let's see when KPP wakes up and says something about the film & paper they now control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post

And let's see when KPP wakes up and says something about the film & paper they now control.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin