Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,661   Online: 1161

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak is un-bankrupt.

BBC, ABC US, Forbes
    Well, at least Kodak the name has approval to come out of Chapter 11 protection, and Kodak the name is just going to retire as a printing company.
    Kodak the film and chemicals company (for those who didn't know) is now owned by its UK pension fund, I don't know if anyone knows how long htat's going to last until the kill off the last of Portra and TMax (I hope not, I love TMax).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We all knew this day was coming.
    Sad, though, as most of the US based retirees appear to have been thrown under the bus.

From HuffPost: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3786675.html
    On Tuesday, Judge Allan Gropper approved the company's plan to emerge from court oversight, paving the way for it to recreate itself as a new – and much smaller – company focused on commercial and packaging printing.
    In making his ruling, Gropper noted that his approval of the plan will result in the loss of retirement and health care benefits for many former workers, while many of the company's investors will recoup just pennies on the dollar.
    Marc

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Kodak the film and chemicals company (for those who didn't know) is now owned by its UK pension fund, I don't know if anyone knows how long htat's going to last until the kill off the last of Portra and TMax (I hope not, I love TMax).
    Within the photographic field only the consumer business went to KPP.

The industrial photographic business, or rather what is left of it after several split-offs/or seeming cancelling, stayed with Kodak.
    The future of that is still unclear.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Portra, TMax, and Ektar, are very popular products. Every time I buy it even in 8x10 it seems to represent a new emulsion batch, which tells
    me it's being frequently run. RA4 paper is also doing well. So these film and paper products should be able to earn their keep for a long time,
    especially since they no longer have to subsidize unrelated ventures within an oversize megacorp geared to market speculation rather than
    basic sustained profit. If an asteroid hits us, or an ebola epidemic, ... who knows....but a game plan is in place, the product is being made,
    and no need to panic. The dust is settling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Phoenix rises!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope PE didn't get bit too hard. Good luck Kodak(s).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    So these film and paper products should be able to earn their keep for a long time,
    especially since they no longer have to subsidize unrelated ventures within an oversize megacorp geared to market speculation rather than
    basic sustained profit.
    My feelings exactly. Presumably Kodak sells a lot more film than Ilford, probably rather a lot more, and Ilford can make it work. Efke, Impossible Project, Foma, maybe Ferrania too. If Kodak can cut away the BS and run as a private entity without caring what The Street thinks, then this may be the best thing to have happened to film for a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    My feelings exactly. Presumably Kodak sells a lot more film than Ilford, probably rather a lot more, and Ilford can make it work. Efke, Impossible Project, Foma, maybe Ferrania too. If Kodak can cut away the BS and run as a private entity without caring what The Street thinks, then this may be the best thing to have happened to film for a long time.

There will be shares in the new company no? If yes, then the Street will very much demand profits from the new Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The system of private capital markets that we have today is probably the greatest impediment to the creation of sustainably profitable companies that could possibly exist. Had one started out with a goal of designing the worst possible model, one could have done no worse than sketching Wall Street across one's lunch napkin.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-20-2013 at 10:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Incorrect terminology...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why did the UK pensioners have a claim against Kodak but none from elsewhere? It seems strange that only those in the UK got relief from Kodak in bankruptcy while the others were left out to dry.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin