Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,272   Online: 916

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars VII

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Thank you for the correction don't know why I made this mistake maybe thinking to much about tanks.
    Well, the tanks are Abrams as well. (hubby started as a tanker D Co., 3/77th Armor, early 1990s)

And I echo the thought about the writing, but I definitely look forward to seeing them as the cgi was getting more and more annoying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It has been announced that Disney is filming the new Star Wars series using Kodak 35mm film. In doing so, they hope to recapture the "ambiance" of the original films. They apparently will not be shooting any original in-camera work digitally. Thus they are abandoning the look of the last 3 films (I - III).

PE
    What specifically do they mean by "ambiance"?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    What specifically do they mean by "ambiance"?
    A few years ago there was a network TV crime or FBI show (I never watched). Can't remember the name of it. It had a thin pale, blonde lead actress whose hair was always a mess, which is about all I can describe the program with. But I think it was shot in digital and it always had a blueish, cold, contrasty look--just awful. No saturation. I think it's gone off the air now maybe, but THAT is as good an examble of bad of "ambiance" as I can point out. Just a terrible program, largely because of the digital shooting (and the blonde who needed a brush).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know, I assume good post production can make digital look fine. I guess my point is if digital is done to look like film, I doubt anyone in the theater can tell the difference. In other words, this is just the evil Disney marketing machine trying to appeal to people who liked the original three movies. They'll still be using CGI to do all the effects, ships etc. anyway, right? It's not like anyone is going to build physical models like they did for the original series, are they?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Never seen Star Wars. Just never was a fan.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I've mentioned before Abrams is a big fan of model and yes there will be some CGI but to a lesser extent than other Sci-Fi Movies. Miniature models are still superior to cgi and the cost are almost the same. Due to the overuse of digital manipulation at the DI Stage film looks almost like digital and not vice versa (Transformers 2 is a good example). Unmanipulated film looks very different to say the RED look (Video) or Arri Alexa look (better than Video) and even a half blind monkey can spot the difference. The question is wether the moviegoers care or not.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Well, the tanks are Abrams as well. (hubby started as a tanker D Co., 3/77th Armor, early 1990s)

And I echo the thought about the writing, but I definitely look forward to seeing them as the cgi was getting more and more annoying.
    Sorry about the tank and name of the director

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish I knew what "ambiance" meant in this context. And, "The Empire Strikes Back" used many models instead of CGI.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure if I'm interested in the new Star Wars. The first three certainly were good. When the fourth (Episode 1) came out I was very disappointed. Not only were the computer graphics less realistic than models and puppets, but the cinematography seemed lacking, and the story line was very poorly executed. I didn't even watch the next ones all the way through when they hit TV - just the odd 15-minutes when channel surfing.

Although I can overlook cgi and digital to a point (a story like Star Wars does require the typical suspension of disbelief as it is), the writing and plot are what turned me off.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That ought to be good for a few million feet of film. Good for Kodak!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin