Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,178   Online: 1256

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Star Wars VII

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I wish I knew what "ambiance" meant in this context. And, "The Empire Strikes Back" used many models instead of CGI.

PE
    The models were fantastic. In fact, the most realistic looking space sequences I've ever seen are still in 2001: a space odyssey. I've never seen CGI come close, and that film was made in the mid 60s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A friend who makes models for movies told me once that they use modified hand crank silent movie era cameras to film the models some times?

Shooter
    35mm
    Suppose all the film used for these movies was translated into 36exp rolls. Can anyone give an estimate of how much film will be used?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember in my young days, a long long time ago in a country far away I used to take a torch switch off the lights in our house and close the curtains. Battling away with the torch slicing my foes in two. Seeing each of the old movies about 30 times (I actually counted believe me). Knowing the lines by heart.
    Then came along episode1.
    My what crap. Then Epidisode 2. even worse. Episode3 I didn't bother to watch.
    Since then Star Wars has died for me and I never ever saw the old movies either since then.
    A loss certainly.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Suppose all the film used for these movies was translated into 36exp rolls. Can anyone give an estimate of how much film will be used?
    For the Hobbit trilogy, they estimated that if they had shot all of the principal photography on film instead of the digital, they would have used 24 million feet - so about 4 million rolls of 36-exposure 35mm film. This does not include reshoots, pick-ups or additional scenes not shot during the primary shooting schedule. If you are interested, there is a series of video blogs on YouTube that Peter Jackson is doing where they discuss such things, as well as all geeky things LOTR related.

So, for a single movie, about 1.3 million rolls (8 million feet) and if they make a trilogy as they intend, even more than what the Hobbit did because all three of the the Hobbit films were shot at the same time, so there was an economy that shooting three separate movies would not have. Course, they are shooting at 48 frames a second as opposed to the normal 24 fps and it is in 3-D, so my calculations might be off. I have no way of calculating the real scale.
    Last edited by Kevin Kehler; 08-28-2013 at 10:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just another reason for me to avoid the garbage heap of the Internet: PE takes the time to provide a post in which there is some positive news about film and then it quickly turns into a "Laxative" thread when lots of jerks show up and pick it apart....amazing.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 08-28-2013 at 10:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A few years ago there was a network TV crime or FBI show (I never watched). Can't remember the name of it.... But I think it was shot in digital and it always had a blueish, cold, contrasty look--just awful. No saturation.
    "Cold Case" is the program I think you mean. It's still on as reruns. You are right about the look although IDK if it was shot as digital. Whether digital or not, I think the look was intended to help communicate the cold, gritty atmosphere of Philidelphia, many areas of which I would describe as "cold."
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Models for SFX (CGI is more properly used for Computerized SFX) are shot one frame at a time on special cameras that can precisely align each frame so that they don't produce jitter when projected as a motion picture. Lucas produced a film about this, we had a seminar at EK about it, and several magazines at that time had lengthy articles about this. Sorry that you guys missed this. One mag was American Cinematographer.

BTW, if the model is moving rapidly, then single frame is impractical and so the moving ships were shot in real time, but the large animals on Hoth were shot single frame.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    "Cold Case" is the program I think you mean. It's still on as reruns. You are right about the look although IDK if it was shot as digital. Whether digital or not, I think the look was intended to help communicate the cold, gritty atmosphere of Philidelphia, many areas of which I would describe as "cold."
    IMDB says it was film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368479/...ef_=tt_dt_spec

Duncan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin