Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,122   Online: 928

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    Saw this from the beginning and never signed up for a Facebook account. People look at me in a weird way when I tell them I don't have one, but they definitely go "hmmmmm" when I tell them why. I believe the term is sheeple. I prefer not to give some entity something of myself without real compensation. Do you really want anyone knowing everything about you?

I believe there is a real market for a private Facebook. Most people pay more than $80 bucks for their phone. Why not a couple bucks a month for something like Facebook that will not sell you out to the highest bidder? Until that happens, email on a private server that you control (i.e. not gmail) is the way to go.
    Correct. There are also droolers and knuckledraggers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With the quality of images that I see on people's facebook pages (when I look over the shoulder of people who do have a facebook account) I really wonder what commercial interests facebook could possibly have with such a pile of garbage ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Depending on privacy settings, what's on Facebook is hidden from search engines. It is its own servant and master, not Google's.
    i hope they have that working now ..
    one of the reasons i left facebook 3 +/- years ago
    was that the site would auto-reset my privacy settings
    to index everything i say and do to google, and let everyone see everything
    ( so i had no privacy whatsoever ) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    I was on Facebook back when you needed an .edu email to sign-up. I stopped using Facebook earlier than most as well - I saw the privacy issues coming.
    Facebook would periodically add "new" features that were nothing more than a split of an existing single feature. In doing so, privacy settings were reset to the lowest privacy. I grew weary of having to reset my privacy settings so often.

At that point I started to leave. I still have my account, but rarely use it. I removed all my photos, and deleted most posts (and found deleting them only hides them - you have to go a step further to actually "delete," and that isn't a true delete either).

... exactly ...
    i went back because a gallery i had my work at suggested i have a "fan page"
    or whatever it is called, so i did that ( didn't work ) and had to get a personal page
    in order to do that, so i did that too ... but 3 personalpages, and 3 fan pages appeared ... all woven together ...
    and my 3year old list of "friends" or whatever they were called appeared too ..
    it took me about 30seconds, but i did the "hard delete" ( not really) of 1 page, and all 6 vanished ...
    it is funny though ( in a pathetic kind of way ) when you delete / remove your account they send you
    emails saying " your friend so and so really misses you, don't you miss him/her" about 4 times a day for a few weeks.
    Last edited by jnanian; 09-09-2013 at 10:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoever is surprised by Facebook's privacy policies needs to do a reality check. Facebook does not exist to make you happy or to allow you to reach out to potential customers. It is a business, and you are nothing more than a pawn for them to accomplish their goals. They're a publicly traded company for crying out loud. Their commitments rank like this: 1. Stockholder. 2. Themselves. 3. Employees. 4. Sponsors and creditors. 5. The environment they exist in.... etc etc ad nauseum. Last on the list: you.

Make no mistake about it, they are there to make money off of your membership.

Sure there are some benefits. For me it's about keeping in touch with friends that are so far away I cannot visit them in person, or reaching many people with a similar interest. That is a benefit to me.
    It's up to each and every one of us to figure out whether it's worth it or not.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Whoever is surprised by Facebook's privacy policies needs to do a reality check. (snip)
    And that's putting it mildly +100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    They're a publicly traded company for crying out loud. Their commitments rank like this: 1. Stockholder. 2. Themselves. 3. Employees. 4. Sponsors and creditors. 5. The environment they exist in.... etc etc ad nauseum. Last on the list: you.
    Agree except employees are actually last, right after customers. Although they sometimes flip-flip positions they're both in the bilge as far as any publicly traded company is concerned.

Shooter
    35mm
    In my opinion, anybody who is still on facebook, especially in light of recent events not withstanding the OP, is simply an idiot. The nuances beyond that hold little interest for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Recently retired after the last 20 yrs as computer programmer, mostly on internet-related products. I was initially excited about the internet, but its another "free service" in which others (gov't & business) are "collecting" on that service.
    Requested deletion of my Facebook account, and hope to spend more time away from the computer.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ... ...
    it is funny though ( in a pathetic kind of way ) when you delete / remove your account they send you
    emails saying " your friend so and so really misses you, don't you miss him/her" about 4 times a day for a few weeks.
    Reminds me of an excellent and very funny book I read in the 60s which if I recall correctly was two stories in one book. It was called ""Miss Lonely Hearts and A Cool Million" in which the innocent teenager keeps getting reminders from his "friend" who sells body-building equipment that the friend is bitterly disappointed that he hasn't bought the equipment and keeps giving the teenager one last chance to do at ever reducing prices but is getting more annoyed each time he makes the next offer without response

Anyone else recall the book. I am sure it was written by a U.S. author. Worth seeking out if you have the chance

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's self explanatory that Facebook doesn't "own" media which is uploaded to that service and they certainly cannot sell it.

Why?

Because ANYONE can upload ANYTHING to facebook (and they do!).
    If I copy all the photos from APUG and upload them to my Facebook-account, then, according to you guys and that link, Facebook can make money of YOUR work even though you are in no way affiliated with the site or have given your premission for it?

Give me a break....

But hey, let them do it, if that (not likely) is the case, after a while, we can all form a mass-sue action against them and earn trillions because of copyright infringements.

Then we can form another court case, where all the other nations around the world ALSO start suing Facebook for breaking copyright laws in an international scale.

Facebook, at least at the last cross-road, wanted to have their backs free, so behind that change, lay a need to specify that they can copy material, for the purpose of backups and clustering.

They DO sell the information ABOUT the users, indeed, Facebook-users are all a part of "The product", but media, video, sound, photos, are just about always copied from other sources. Besides, they are protected by intellectual property laws in just about any civilized country.

And what is the legal status of changing the terms of usage as they feel like anyway? The usage terms you agree to when you sign up, is suddenly replaced by "we were only kidding, these are the new rules"
    ??

Imagine what would happen if youtube suddenly said that all the material on there was their property and that they could sell it as they saw fit...not very likely.
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 09-12-2013 at 09:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin