Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,724   Online: 777

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Beware Facebook's New Terms of Service

I just received the following alert from ASMP regarding Facebook's "new and improved" (AKA insidious and treacherous) user agreement. Of course, it is new and improved - in a way that benefits Facebook but not photographers.

Take a look at the following web page for a cut to the chase type discussion on Facebook's user agreement: http://asmp.org/fb-tos#.Uioq-caThWk

This is the email I received:
    The new Facebook Terms of Use have been modified to allow the company to sell virtually anything that is uploaded to the service, including all your photos, your identity and your data. Facebook has also explicitly removed the privacy protection from the commercialization rights.

This means that any photos uploaded to Facebook may be sold, distributed or otherwise commercialized with no compensation to the photographer. These new terms of service go into effect today [9-6-2013].

If you wish to provide feedback to the company, you can contact them at
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/faceb...53167395945301
    ASMP will continue to work to modify the terms of use to be more favorable
    to photographers.

Here's the most important language:

"You give us permission to use your name, and profile picture, content, and information in connection with commercial, sponsored, or related content (such as a brand you like) served or enhanced by us. This means, for example, that you permit a business or other entity to pay us to display your name and/or profile picture with your content or information, without any compensation to you. If you have selected a specific audience for your content or information, we will respect your choice when we use it."

Visit http://asmp.org/fb-tos#.Uioq-caThWk for a Q&A on this subject.
    Moral of the story: If you post your photographs on Facebook, expect them to be distributed, marketed, sold and exploited in a manner that brings maximum revenue to Facebook - and no revenue to you.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate to say it, but: duh. Facebook gives zero damn about you or any of it's members. You're a product.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I hate to say it, but: duh. Facebook gives zero damn about you or any of it's members. You're a product.
    Ayup. Can't remember who wrote the essay on this (a lot of people have made the point), but if you are not paying a service fee to the company, then you are the product...

FB is simply selling its social graph to advertisers as an alternative to Google's approach to indexing the internet. Rather than a top-down approach, they provide a context-sensitive, filtered indexing of the web. I'm sure I'm not telling anyone anything that they don't already know.
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonder if the new terms also cover distribution by the NSA to other governments around the world?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heh, regardless of what they say in public, I absolutely guarantee you the NSA has a full fed pipe direct from Facebook.

Do NOT trust these companies AT ALL.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Saw this from the beginning and never signed up for a Facebook account. People look at me in a weird way when I tell them I don't have one, but they definitely go "hmmmmm" when I tell them why. I believe the term is sheeple. I prefer not to give some entity something of myself without real compensation. Do you really want anyone knowing everything about you?

I believe there is a real market for a private Facebook. Most people pay more than $80 bucks for their phone. Why not a couple bucks a month for something like Facebook that will not sell you out to the highest bidder? Until that happens, email on a private server that you control (i.e. not gmail) is the way to go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, when I Google myself, FB doesn't come up, not do my blogs or website. But my posts on APUG sometimes show up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on privacy settings, what's on Facebook is hidden from search engines. It is its own servant and master, not Google's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was on Facebook back when you needed an .edu email to sign-up. I stopped using Facebook earlier than most as well - I saw the privacy issues coming.
    Facebook would periodically add "new" features that were nothing more than a split of an existing single feature. In doing so, privacy settings were reset to the lowest privacy. I grew weary of having to reset my privacy settings so often.

At that point I started to leave. I still have my account, but rarely use it. I removed all my photos, and deleted most posts (and found deleting them only hides them - you have to go a step further to actually "delete," and that isn't a true delete either).
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Heh, regardless of what they say in public, I absolutely guarantee you the NSA has a full fed pipe direct from Facebook.

Do NOT trust these companies AT ALL.
    Well I sure as hell dont trust the NSA, also known as No Such Agency to those on the inside.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin