Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,891   Online: 1070

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Even with film lots of bad things can happen between the time you take a picture and the time you have prints in your hand.
    To avoid things like this from happening I usually bring two cameras to events. I shoot half with one camera and the other half with the backup. I actually mix and match. Just because it's not likely that two cameras, rolls of film, processing, etc gets cocked up for both. Redundancy.

Maybe that's a bit paranoid, but it is a sort of insurance.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a sensitive topic for me and I thought I will share what I think even if many people have already said something very similar and I agree completely with them. I cannot have a strong opinion whether film will eventually dye as a product or not, I can only definitely hope not. But when I started photography I used a digital camera for a long time and become involved into it. In some point I decided to try film. I have never used my digital camera again since I saw the results of my first roll, which was even badly underexposed and the look of film was such an unbelievable discovery for me. The analog response to light is so human and natural I am now heartly passionate about photography. The only question I keep asking myself is how in the world people liked and bought digital cameras when they were invented if the only thing they knew was film? But market and economy, convenience, immediate achievement always pop up as reasonable reasons. It may be true, but they are not reasonable for me. In the end I see it as a matter of value. For me the quality and feel of an image is of great value and it just doesn' t make sense to compromise on it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Don't forget the price of ink and good quality inkjet paper! Huge cost. Either way, photography is expensive when done right. Period. ...
    My old signature line:

Photography is not for the faint of wallet.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

I switched to film, more or less, because I wanted to slow down and think more about the shots. But all told, I don't really think film is all that slower. People totally underestimate the time they spend in front of a computer. Obviously you can't beat digital for a quick snapshot, and some people are just going to do great work no matter what format.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yeah ... and they said painting would go extinct once someone figured out how to take photographs in color. That was over a hundred years ago, and there are probably more art stores around selling canvas and pigment than ever. The only reason I sit on my butt fooling with a computer at all is that I'm paid to do it... but it's not something I actually enjoy...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the only thing that will die any time soon, is you and me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not quite dying, I would say. Earlier this year me and a few friends formalized our photographic activities by forming Silverfotografiska sällskapet (The Silver Photographic Society in English) and our output has increased along with the money we spend on film and paper (money well spent). Last Saturday we met with two digital photographers who wanted to join and get back to analogue photography.
    Photographywise things are looking good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's excellent. Maybe some day, if I retire to Sweden, I can join you. Keep the art alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    Not quite dying, I would say. Earlier this year me and a few friends formalized our photographic activities by forming Silverfotografiska sällskapet (The Silver Photographic Society in English) and our output has increased along with the money we spend on film and paper (money well spent). Last Saturday we met with two digital photographers who wanted to join and get back to analogue photography.
    Photographywise things are looking good.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Even with film lots of bad things can happen between the time you take a picture and the time you have prints in your hand.
    True. But what are the odds you'd instantly lose 500 (or more) images in one failure event? That's quite a few rolls of film to misplace or mis-process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're welcome any day Thomas

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin