Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,637   Online: 703

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm not a professional photographer , and i haven't a lot of money to spend in the new wonderful digital monster. With some money i bought a used 4x5 with only an old 150 sironar in good condition. A box of fp4 , some rodinal and other chemical stuff and i can do all i want.
    I love the "slow shooting" like "slow food" in Italy, even in the extreme cold in the Alps winter (no batteries can resist to -30C°). In the future ? NO FILM? i don't believe this ....and i love contemplating nature and architecture! in a ground glass...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo M. View Post
    I'm not a professional photographer , and i haven't a lot of money to spend in the new wonderful digital monster. With some money i bought a used 4x5 with only an old 150 sironar in good condition. A box of fp4 , some rodinal and other chemical stuff and i can do all i want.
    I love the "slow shooting" like "slow food" in Italy, even in the extreme cold in the Alps winter (no batteries can resist to -30C°). In the future ? NO FILM? i don't believe this ....and i love contemplating nature and architecture! in a ground glass...
    LF is overkill for the modest ambition of most hobbyists, yet so many take the plunge, with the excuse that - "for this much I could get this instead, which is better than this" - which is investment talk. It doesn't say anything for your reasoning to actually make pictures with the thing. There's entitlement and ego at play too - we believe we deserve the absolute best we can get, even though our talent as image makers might not warrant large format presentation.

The reality is, digital cameras offer more than enough punch for the photographic ability of everyone on this forum. Very few here are artists, so I never buy the colour rendition/tonality argument. I shoot film because I'm stubborn and partly believe that it inherently makes my pictures better. That might make people uncomfortable, but probably because it's just as true for themselves.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why is it overkill? View camera aren't only about more square inches of film per shot, but about a whole different way of looking at things.
    They slow you down, make you think, improve consciousness of the borders and composition, esp when it's upside-down. The equipment itself
    makes you feel like a photographer, whether you have the native instinct for imaging or not, not like just another cellphone machine-gunner.
    One starts understanding that results are often unrelated to mere technological convenience. And the rig might not cost any more than some
    stupid Smartphone that won't be considered cool a year from the time of purchase. People buy old cars or classic motorcycles and spend tens of thousand of dollars fixing them up. You don't have to be professional race car driver to do that! People will spend thousand of dollars
    on an antique piece of furniture just because they want to. What's the difference? .... Of course, when someone asks why I still use an
    "antique" big camera like my 8x10, I politely inform that that antiques aren't make out of epoxy composites and have titanium, aircraft aluminum, and delrin fittings. It merely looks antique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    LF is overkill for the modest ambition of most hobbyists, yet so many take the plunge, with the excuse that - "for this much I could get this instead, which is better than this" - which is investment talk. It doesn't say anything for your reasoning to actually make pictures with the thing. There's entitlement and ego at play too - we believe we deserve the absolute best we can get, even though our talent as image makers might not warrant large format presentation.

The reality is, digital cameras offer more than enough punch for the photographic ability of everyone on this forum. Very few here are artists, so I never buy the colour rendition/tonality argument. I shoot film because I'm stubborn and partly believe that it inherently makes my pictures better. That might make people uncomfortable, but probably because it's just as true for themselves.
    That's a pretty elitist point-of-view. You're over-thinking things again, I fear...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with you, Drew. It's also about choice, and being satisfied with our efforts. If we don't use the tools that we love, then what's the point of using them at all?

To me it's all about expression, to communicate something to others, about what I felt and saw. My chosen tools are not large format, (I tried that for a few years and didn't like it), but I take personal pride in the prints that I make, and because I spend so much time and effort trying to make that one thing perfect, it feels good to keep them, to show them, and sometimes sell or give them away.

I don't think large format is overkill, as long as you love working with it. That satisfaction trumps everything else, in my mind.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ...big camera like my 8x10, I politely inform that that antiques aren't make out of epoxy composites and have titanium, aircraft aluminum, and delrin fittings...
    Which part(s) are titanium? I wasn't aware that Dick had used any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know this has been posted before, but Kodak think there's money to be made in film.

http://petapixel.com/2013/09/26/koda...-selling-film/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post

The person you quoted gave a positive and personal citation of why he uses what he does, it's an expression of a part of who this person is as is any process that any of us chooses to engage in for what ever reason.

Personally, I use film because of the results I get and I get the results I do because of the journey I make with this craft in it's entirety. There are days I enjoy using digital quite a bit and then there are other days...not so much. But there is never a day I do not fully enjoy the challenge of shooting a great image in black and white with the final print in mind, it is a process that makes me think, feel and see so utterly differently that this inner self enlightenment spills off into other areas of my life. It's not uncommon for my wife to say, "I can tell you shot some film today" because of how I look, what I say and how I make her feel.

If you love what you do, then you are rich beyond any Wall Street ticker chart, anyone's assessment of your net worth. If you love what journey you are traveling on in which to arrive at what you did, then it will show as better than your alternatives and no one can say you could do better.

It's personal, it has nothing to do with what your opinions are as to if digital offers enough punch for anyone's ability as a photographer. I think it is safe to say that in 2013 with the information revolution being still very much in a formative state, the reason anyone chooses film over digital, large format over medium is most likely personal rather than technical....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 09-26-2013 at 03:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I don't think large format is overkill, as long as you love working with it. That satisfaction trumps everything else, in my mind.
    thanks thomas
    i couldn't agree more ...

i had an art history teacher in college, his name was ivan galantic: he was truly a genius.
    once he said in a lecture the difference between humans and animals is that animals seek comfort
    and humans seek discomfort. sometimes it is the way we got there, not where we ended up.

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sorry, Sal ... It's my Ebony 4x5 that has the titanium hardware, and people confuse that camera with being "old fashioned" too. But I did change quite a bit of the minor hardware on my Phillips - a distinct improvement, after a few things broke from stress. I showed the modifications to Dick and he liked them, but had already begun his his model II design anyway. I had one of his very first 8x10's, and still use it all the time. Guess I was suffering from a moment of machinist's "after image". I posted just after measuring for some key stock to modify a
    piece of machinery here at work, and was thinking about too many alloys in my head at the same time, I guess. Hard to say. I have odds n'
    ends of titanium on all kinds of things. There's almost nothing I don't modify except lenses per se.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin