Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,243   Online: 1131

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    LF is overkill for the modest ambition of most hobbyists, yet so many take the plunge, with the excuse that - "for this much I could get this instead, which is better than this" - which is investment talk. It doesn't say anything for your reasoning to actually make pictures with the thing. There's entitlement and ego at play too - we believe we deserve the absolute best we can get, even though our talent as image makers might not warrant large format presentation.

The reality is, digital cameras offer more than enough punch for the photographic ability of everyone on this forum. Very few here are artists, so I never buy the colour rendition/tonality argument. I shoot film because I'm stubborn and partly believe that it inherently makes my pictures better. That might make people uncomfortable, but probably because it's just as true for themselves.

you wouldn't tell a painter his/her canvas is too big for her painting.

Or even as time has proven otherwise, why paint, when you can take a photo. I especially think the second part of your comments are way out of line, "Very few here are artists... "

I don't know how old you are, but as a younger person, i myself know the phrase, "if you have nothing nice to say, best not say anything."
    Reading through weston's daybooks, he himself realized his betterment over the years, and threw away many of his earlier prints. Should he not have used LF then? Lets not let tools for an image of who we are or what we think of people, not to mention their work. If i can use it as a hammer, it a good enough camera for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Sorry, Sal ...
    No need to apologize; I was just curious.

...It's my Ebony 4x5 that has the titanium hardware...
    I find the titanium on my Ebony cameras to mostly be a good thing. One place where it's not is the base plate. Too much flex when a quick-release rail is attached. Aluminum fixed that:

...I did change quite a bit of the minor hardware on my Phillips - a distinct improvement, after a few things broke from stress. I showed the modifications to Dick and he liked them, but had already begun his his model II design anyway...
    My 8x10 is a Compact II from 1998. The only modification I made to it (after discussion with Dick) was replacing the nylon turnbutton machine screw with a stainless steel version. When heavy lenses were mounted, the nylon flexed, resulting in unintended tilt. That problem no longer exists with the stainless screw.

Dick apparently found this change worthwhile, since my 4x5 later arrived with a stainless steel turnbutton screw as original equipment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm sorry , it was my fault.... i don't speak very well english and writing( in english ....) it is a bit tedious!!!
    Digital's art has done an enormous evolution in the last few years: Salgado use digital medium format but his works are on classic silver papers.
    Or for example i can shoot Film , on large or medium format or 35mm , than scan and printing a digital negative for contact printing. ( this is important for the classic alternavive photography ... Vandyke , Ciano, CArbon ......... tri color carbon ...)

For me is a bit different : there are other reasons ! I have few money... i'm young and i love nature landscapes and architecture (i'm an architect ...)
    In Italy is not like in usa , LARGE FORMAT is very rare .... my dream was a 8x10 or a 5x7 ... but cost too much for my pockets!

With LF (even in 4x5) you can focus with other tricks than lens aperture ... you can distort or correct the "prospettiva" , you can change the image plan... it's another thing!

....... only for this i use film ! and the problem is even in the format ! the deep of field of a 150(or 180) , the normal for 4x5,is not the deep of field of the 300 in 8x10 or the 50 in 35mm....

And i believe that there is another reason : a philosophical one!
    I don't know ... it's difficult even in italian (big problem )
    At the moment i'm not a photographer , not a real artist .... not a fomous one: nobody known what i am .... and this is perfect for me ! i have my project for some book in the future( one day ....) . My work is ten hours in front of the pc with stupid useful 3d program !

But i love to SLOW my life ( if mean something in english ... ) No phone , only for emergency, no time, no one ... silence ... only the river of my dreams, and the knocking of my heart! there isn't the fantastic shoot? the perfect one ?......it's not a problem i study , i play , i dream the perfect condition ... and i return !........ LF is waiting not shooting ... ! hours of waiting ...

Post scriptum: it's a bit embarassing ... i have learnt these things from you!
    Last edited by Aldo M.; 09-27-2013 at 05:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    LF is overkill for the modest ambition of most hobbyists, yet so many take the plunge, with the excuse that - "for this much I could get this instead, which is better than this" - which is investment talk.
    Large format is a tool like any other in photography. If you want to control perspective / plane of focus, correct verticals, photograph a mirror without seeing your own reflection, etc, etc then large format is the correct tool. If you find viewing an image on a ground glass enables you to better compose in comparison to squinting through a tiny viewfinder then large format is the tool for you.

With over 60,000 members of this forum, I personally find it rather arrogant to suggest that only a handful consider themselves to be artists, serious photographers or whatever else they want to use to define what they do.

In terms of the long-term survival of analogue photography, the solution is very clear: the more people who use analogue materials (in whatever format, for whatever reasons, whether 'pure' or hybrid) the more products the manufacturers can sell and the more likely they will stay in business.

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Wear the shoes that fit you. I'm a bit of a format schizophrenic, and like switching things up from time to time, though I must admit my very
    favorite format is 8x10, which is also the most useful in the darkroom, since I can make high quality prints relatively large if I need to. So there are some real logistical pros and cons to our choices. But none of it matters if you don't somehow synchronize with your gear to the point that all the techie aspects become instinctive, or relegated to the subconsious, and you can enjoy interacting with the potential image itself. The end result, when you finally mount and frame a print, is really only the tip of the iceberg. What is more important is your life experience. If you regard the experience of photography as bagging just another commercial or cute commodity, I pity you. For me, the hunt is just as important as the kill. There will always be more and more photographs accumulating out there, no matter what the technology. But your personal experience and memories of what you saw and attempted to capture and communicate are your own, and nobody can take that from you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What I'm getting at is the thrift culture of analog photography has led to 'format gluttony' in my opinion. Even the best artists in the medium generally moved their way up to large format, because they didn't feel they were 'ready' - I've read this numerous times. There's a humility in that kind of discipline which seems to have been lost. And about the 'would I tell a painter not to use a huge canvas' - yes, if they were an amateur. A small shit is easier to deal with

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    What I'm getting at is the thrift culture of analog photography has led to 'format gluttony' in my opinion. Even the best artists in the medium generally moved their way up to large format, because they didn't feel they were 'ready' - I've read this numerous times. There's a humility in that kind of discipline which seems to have been lost. And about the 'would I tell a painter not to use a huge canvas' - yes, if they were an amateur. A small shit is easier to deal with
    And many would disagree as they clearly have, it's not a ladder of gear that you *have* to use smaller formats first. Take for example someone who wants to do still life images with a lot of whimsical play on multiple focus planes, why on earth would they use 35mm or even medium format when they could get right to work with 4x5 and have more control? Hell it is not out of the question for me to loupe the focus screen on my Hasselblad, it and all cameras are tools to those who deploy and employ them as such.

And the last line..? You think you would be right minded to tell an amateur painter to not use a large canvas......seriously?

Are you ok man? Because your thinking is really narrow in view lately and seems to be increasingly disjointed...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 09-27-2013 at 01:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I just find it interesting how small format machine-gunners seem to down a duck a lot less often than a large format sniper. But then when the
    dude with large format discipline gets ahold of a small camera again, his shots become a lot more disciplined and efficient. It's got nuthin' to
    do with a "huge canvas", Batwister. People can enlarge cellphone shots to the size of a billboard, if they wish; and large format practitioners
    often make contact prints which haven't been enlarged at all. In the latter category, I personally find an 8x10 contact print somewhat more
    satifying than squinting at a contact the size of a postage stamp.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I just find it interesting how small format machine-gunners seem to down a duck a lot less often than a large format sniper.
    When the man with a 45 meets a man with a rifle........................

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seeing a skilled photographer use a motor driven 35mm camera to their advantage is like watching a good chef make a perfect jullienne.

Seeing a skilled photographer use a view camera makes you unaware of how complex the process can be.

Seeing a skilled photographer use a Hasselblad hand held with a waist-level viewfinder, weaving and following a subject, is like watching a choreographed dance.

It's not the size of the neg, it's whether or not you've got one at all.

...if you don't have it, then you don't have it.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin