Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,952   Online: 807

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    There's a humility in that kind of discipline which seems to have been lost.
    It's always dangerous to unilaterally presume to know exactly what it is that other people should be thinking and doing. And it's even more dangerous to express that presumption directly to those people...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Motor winders were invented to help people waste film as rapidly as possible, and to put static marks on the film in the desert. Ironically, we need them now more than ever, to boost film sales. But it's all becoming past history, because instead of wasting money on lots of film,
    photographers have decided to spend all that money wearing out digi cameras one after another, taking thousands of even more redundant
    shots. But out here in the wild West, choreography is best practiced when someone shouts "dance", and they start shooting AT you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Take for example someone who wants to do still life images with a lot of whimsical play on multiple focus planes, why on earth would they use 35mm or even medium format when they could get [it] right to work with 4x5 and have more control?
    You seem to be saying that it's necessary to stick to the convention of shooting still lives on LF - which I don't agree with. Many of Eggleston's pictures are technically still lives for example, just not formally concerned and not on big negatives, yet still seek to find the symbolic in the familiar. Yes, movements on a view camera offer more control of visual effects, but there's still the problem of content to deal with.*

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    And the last line..? You think you would be right minded to tell an amateur painter to not use a large canvas......seriously?
    I do think to use a large canvas/negative that early on is brash. If a painter/photographer has so much to say that their work is bursting out of the frame, then maybe it's time to work bigger.

* The bigger the neg, the more description in the image and the easier it becomes to make banal pictures. Isn't the whole practice of photographic art about learning how to get around the medium's descriptive nature? It's a steep learning curve to use LF early on, yes technically, but more importantly for perceptual reasons. It takes a real power of observation to turn all that information into a strong statement. The bigger the field of view, the easier it is to take details for granted - each step up in format then should naturally come with an expansion of our observational skills? The vision of an infant isn't as strong as an adult. You have to learn to see, and isn't it best to educate ourselves in stages?
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have no problem with small formats. Use them often myself. So lets just forget every technical and alleged artistic argument out there, cut to the chase, and state that I shoot 8x10 because I want to. I enjoy it. Got an argument against that?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    batwister

no one is suggesting that you or anyone else for that matter should use
    a large format camera. what i find sort of humorous is that you have decided
    that most people shouldn't use a large format camera, "because you say so"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Batwister, sure, you can easily shoot still life's with any format, I see great ones from an iPhone. I get the feeling you are more into the debate than making images and if so more power to you. I understand vision my friend, I am a successful photographer who is well on my way to becoming a successful fine art printer.

I'll let the other cats play with you in the sandbox, I'm smelling too many bombs in the kitty litter...;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I have no problem with small formats. Use them often myself. So lets just forget every technical and alleged artistic argument out there, cut to the chase, and state that I shoot 8x10 because I want to. I enjoy it. Got an argument against that?
    Of course not, but it cuts things a little short.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My father has related to me on numerous occasions that when he entered RIT's photography program in the early 1970s that every student was told to put their 35mm cameras away for the first year and that they were to build their own 4x5 cameras. From scratch.

The progression he said, was inverse. Instead of slowly becoming more and more concise through format progression, they were forced to contend with the issues of large format first and foremost, and then had to bend each subsequent format to their will afterwards.

He ceased using large format almost entirely after that first year...very occasionally using a crown graphic...but 99.9% of his work was in 35mm and various medium formats from that point forward.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Of course it cuts things short. It is meant to.

Shooter
    Large Format
    ... the title is FILM a DYING art ..! ok we are people (someone is a real artist , someone is a real photographer , someone is only a younger dreamer without any experience but only great passion like me ) that are still using film ! PAX VOBIS...

Butwister ... what do you think ? i use 35mm film camera !... sometimes when i shoot in the street.... in the railway station ,... and i use an old pentax with a 50mm , and an old canon with a 35 zeiss distagon from contax sistem !

Sometimes i use the 120 film in the back of my LF ... 6x9 cm format and so it's not a problem of how big is the negative!
    In october i'll watch a gallery of an italian mountain photographer, and he use all format , but for the recent works he decided to use only a small 6x6 rolleiflex !

It's always about personal feelings... only a little part it's tecnical a problem.

......that's all!

I love increase distortion and perspective of my mountains .. becouse a photo isn't the reality...... and my 4x5 is good friend in this field!

and i love to focus on ground glass , and move the focus plan without the limitation of the other camera ... God save the Queen ...?! of course .... but i'm italian and so God bless Scheimpflug ... and save the FILM!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin