Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,692   Online: 738

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK... I admit it... I giggled...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aldo, you're thinking is sound, different tools for different purposes (as has been iterated ad nauseam in countless threads here...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    OK... I admit it... I giggled...
    Me too...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    My father has related to me on numerous occasions that when he entered RIT's photography program in the early 1970s that every student was told to put their 35mm cameras away for the first year and that they were to build their own 4x5 cameras. From scratch.

The progression he said, was inverse. Instead of slowly becoming more and more concise through format progression, they were forced to contend with the issues of large format first and foremost, and then had to bend each subsequent format to their will afterwards.

He ceased using large format almost entirely after that first year...very occasionally using a crown graphic...but 99.9% of his work was in 35mm and various medium formats from that point forward.
    I'm sort of like your dad, only it took me a couple of years to get into LF.
    When I finally got there, I was excited. After a few years of trying, convincing myself it was the ultimate, I just couldn't go on. Not that the prints were not nice. I just wasn't taking the pictures I wanted to take, because I couldn't. So why struggle with something you don't even enjoy?!
    So I got back to Hasselblad and 35mm again, and with the first roll I was very happy again.

There is no 'best format'. Only what we enjoy to work with. I'd much rather be limited by format than my brain.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It isn't the Art, or the medium that is in danger.

It is the industry and the marketplace that grew up around film that is in danger.

And with it, the easy accessibility that we film users miss the most.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo M. View Post
    I'm sorry , it was my fault.... i don't speak very well english and writing( in english ....) it is a bit tedious!!!
    You were perfectly clear, so not at all your fault.

And this below is beautiful in any language. Poetry transcends...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo M. View Post
    Digital's art has done an enormous evolution in the last few years: Salgado use digital medium format but his works are on classic silver papers.
    Or for example i can shoot Film , on large or medium format or 35mm , than scan and printing a digital negative for contact printing. ( this is important for the classic alternavive photography ... Vandyke , Ciano, CArbon ......... tri color carbon ...)

For me is a bit different : there are other reasons ! I have few money... i'm young and i love nature landscapes and architecture (i'm an architect ...)
    In Italy is not like in usa , LARGE FORMAT is very rare .... my dream was a 8x10 or a 5x7 ... but cost too much for my pockets!

With LF (even in 4x5) you can focus with other tricks than lens aperture ... you can distort or correct the "prospettiva" , you can change the image plan... it's another thing!

....... only for this i use film ! and the problem is even in the format ! the deep of field of a 150(or 180) , the normal for 4x5,is not the deep of field of the 300 in 8x10 or the 50 in 35mm....

And i believe that there is another reason : a philosophical one!
    I don't know ... it's difficult even in italian (big problem )
    At the moment i'm not a photographer , not a real artist .... not a famous one: nobody known what i am .... and this is perfect for me ! i have my project for some book in the future( one day ....) . My work is ten hours in front of the pc with stupid useful 3d program !

But i love to SLOW my life ( if mean something in english ... ) No phone , only for emergency, no time, no one ... silence ... only the river of my dreams, and the knocking of my heart! there isn't the fantastic shoot? the perfect one ?......it's not a problem i study , i play , i dream the perfect condition ... and i return !........ LF is waiting not shooting ... ! hours of waiting ...

Post scriptum: it's a bit embarrassing ... i have learnt these things from you!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Molli , but i know my horrible english style so i have to improve ...

if you want pure poetry (and i am not an artist or a poet, but i read something)this is ultimate(???) for me and inspire my vision of photography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFx6jyOZc0o

This part was taken from Decameron, a film of Pasolini ( one of the best italian artist and poetry of afterwar) ; this was the rappresentation of a student of Giotto... (it was Pasolini himself in this role) that dream the "work".

It's in italian but the last words:
    " Perchè realizzare un'opera, quando è così bello sognarla soltanto? "
    sound like this : "Why create a work, when it is so nice to only dream about?"

I think that beauty does not belong to me! (and this can create some misunderstanding ... it's sound strange even in italian )

FILM is one of the most important invention of the history of the world ... a second writing , more near to the primitive language of the first humans .

If you think that is off topic , don't worry , cancel it , ok it' night for me tomorrow morning i'm taking some photos ( or only dreaming )
    Last edited by Aldo M.; 09-29-2013 at 04:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    All my local CVS pharmacies carry Kodak Tri-X 400. Must be a reason for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In looking for another topic this morning, I stumbled across a thread on dpreview. Ten years ago, this very same topic would have started a mud slinging fight the likes of a civil war, horribly ugly.
    By the time I got to the last post, I was literally teary eyed, I could not believe what I was reading...folks, there are still some small thorns in there, but overall, this is an amazing change of attitude:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52176002

Besides the many personal reasons, another possible reason is this, he is a bit long winded here so you might be like me and get most of it 1/3rd the way in:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...hy-camera.html
    Last edited by PKM-25; 10-09-2013 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    In looking for another topic this morning, I stumbled across a thread on dpreview. Ten years ago, this very same topic would have started a mud slinging fight the likes of a civil war, horribly ugly.
    By the time I got to the last post, I was literally teary eyed, I could not believe what I was reading...folks, there are still some small thorns in there, but overall, this is an amazing change of attitude:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52176002

Besides the many personal reasons, another possible reason is this, he is a bit long winded here so you might be like me and get most of it 1/3rd the way in:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...hy-camera.html
    Have you seen this thread? It'll bring a smile to your face.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...62#lastmessage

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well ... I could easily recognize all the places in those 6x7 shots if they were all consistently upside-down like they're supposed to be in a
    groundglass.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin