Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,035   Online: 992

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Alaris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I really cannot begin to fathom what people are expecting from them, annual runs of Kodachrome in ULF?

Come ON people, when they say nothing new they mean new film, not marketing. Of course they will market film, they can now and it will help to turn a profit.....you do want them to turn a profit, right? This is just incredible to me, the lineup they have right this moment is truly some of the best film they have ever made and the quality is near mil-spec for pete's sake and yet all people can do is complain, what a truly sad state of commentary.

I am 100% in support of what ever they need to do in order to keep the current lineup and not make films like TMX and TMY in 4x5 $200+ a box, which I would still pay by the way.

You guys have got to start waking up, this is 2013 and Kodak film has emerged from bankruptcy, it could have been far, far worse folks.
    Old-timers around these parts will probably fall over dead hearing me say this, but...

I really think we need to give these guys some breathing space and a chance to get their feet on the ground and get going. No one has been more critical of EK's business decisions over these past several years than I. That was some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen, ranking right up there in business sense with those dotcoms I worked for back in the day. Unbelievable incompetence of vision. Don't even get me started again...

But these guys aren't EK. True, we don't yet know what they can or will do, but the flip side is that unlike EK under Perez, they haven't done anything fatally wrong yet either.

Besides, if a reconstituted Ferrania doesn't manage escape velocity in 2014, and Harman hasn't been secretly squirreling away aces up its sleeve while no one was watching, then these Alaris guys might very well be your last, best, and final hope for survival of color film of any type.

The prudent thing to do might just be to give them the benefit of the doubt and some room to maneuver.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten301 View Post
    Sorry to sound cynical but, with no debt and a fresh start, they have the name recognition and a perfect opportunity to do great things. I guess I was expecting too much.
    Yes I think so. It is unrealistic to expect that previously discontinued emulsions are going to reappear and even those that are currently available will only remain so as long as there is demand. It is also unrealistic to expect that Alaris are going to develop and release any new emulsions - they may re-badge some and market them as new but Kodak and Fuji have been doing that for years anyway.

This business arrangement at best stops the supply of Kodak film being cut off suddenly in one fell swoop rather than after a more graceful decline. Sales of colour film in particular will continue to fall away - black & white could last forever and colour paper probably has quite a few years left in it yet. Whether Alaris would be interested in keeping the remaining few Kodak B&W films after colour goes is a moot point and probably depends on the capacity of the Rochester factory to continue their manufacture.

You can bet, though, that Alaris will be the last player standing in colour paper because they own the factory that makes it and it's potential sales volume is not dependant on analog photography. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I look forward to seeing what an improved marketing campaign can do about availability of Kodak film in parts of the world where we get reports it's difficult to obtain.

But mostly it's nice that they now have a clean sheet, a fresh start, without the massive burden of having to be a cash cow for the rest of the business. That's a real opportunity for them, and like PKM-25 and Ken, I also hope they can simply maintain the products they currently offer, and bring some calm to the turbulent mayhem and chaos that has existed around the products for some time now. I'm a very happy Kodak film user. Ilford rocks too, and they get my paper purchases.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The existing Kodak film line up, while obviously trimmed back a lot, covers pretty much most needs with the exception of E6. I'd love to see E6 from Kodak again, particularly E100G and a 400 speed film, but don't think it likely at all. Otherwise, the line up is trim but covers most all needs. I miss Plus-X somewhat, and I know many folks miss Pan-X, but what we have is good stuff. If we can keep it, great. If we can get the price of sheet film back down from the stratosphere, at least competitive with Ilford in black and white and not so silly high in color, that would be nice too.

Keeping what we have is a modest, but hopefully realistic goal.

Shooter
    35mm
    My sentiments exactly, Roger, Ken, Ozjohn, Thomas. Well said, all of you.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    My camera and my son's camera are mostly fed Fuji E6 right now. Kodak 400TX and Ilford HP5+ for my B&W with Rollei for IR. My daughter feeds her camera Kodak C41 exclusively. My 620 camera is fed Kodak and Ilford 120 on 620 spools.

Long live the big 3!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would be nice to see Plus-X back.

E6 as well.

Ironically, if they are able to re-establish a reasonably effective distribution chain, and have some success with it, it may prompt the (re)-development of some older, discontinued products.

Especially ones that don't require re-introduction of chemistry.

I wonder if we might see the return of Kodak instant materials!

I would certainly expect that improved distribution could prompt the re-introduction of certain sizes in sheet film, and maybe even sheets of colour paper.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe Kodak will rethink their B&W paper discontinuation in 2005. There are currently 10 differnet types of RC and 14 types of FB papers in production - if I counted right -, I bet there is some market left for a Polymax revival.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Panalure if I had my druthers.

A true cold tone VC FB paper.

Other than those I can get paper that suits my needs now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Panalure it is then

(wasn't panalure RC only?)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin