Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,400   Online: 812

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Alaris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Alaris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Kodak Alaris, the new company born of KPP's purchase of Eastman Kodak's personalised and professional imaging businesses, has no plan to reduce its portfolio of films in the short term, its bosses tell BJP"

Goodness me! They need to get some plans in place to increase their range...

RR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's not really breaking news, it's not really exciting news, but at least it's good news. I could re-read the same story all day as long as it includes "continue selling film."

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, my excitement and hopes for Kodak Alaris' commitment to analog photography has gone down a few notches after reading that post. The "new" Kodak is pretty much saying the same thing the "old" Kodak has for years. Instead of promoting the use of film, with all the millions of analog cameras out there, with the resurgence (while maybe not a tidal wave) of interest in film photography, we have the new guys saying, 'Oh gee...film is a mature product, so don't expect anything new from us. We'll keep it going as long as we can, but our real focus is on printing!'. Why don't they just hire Antonio Perez as their CEO? He'd feel right at home. Why am I experiencing deja-vu? Could it be because that road was so successful the last time Kodak made it their priority? Sorry to sound cynical but, with no debt and a fresh start, they have the name recognition and a perfect opportunity to do great things. I guess I was expecting too much.
    Last edited by Ten301; 09-24-2013 at 01:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great news to be sure, and right on time at the end of my discussion.
    akfotog

Seneca/National 8x10, Cambo SCX 4x5, Tachihara Wood Field 4x5, Busch Pressman 4x5, Mamiya RB67 Pro SD, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Mamiya M645 1000S, Nikon F5, Nikon F100, Nikon F4S, Nikon FM2 Chrome.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There are many labs around my home and they say its very hard to find kodak film for sale. One of them was kodak express lab and lab owner told me that kodak is no longer manufacturing film , other guy have many boxes of kodak film at his display , all empty. I waited 2 weeks , and before 3 weeks to buy fuji film. When photographing children , one extra fatman stopped me by his car and asked my id and why I am claiming I am a photographer and using a cheap camera , it was a Leica , he wanted to see the camera , I gave it , he rounded it rounded it and gave back to me and went hell Processing is terrible , all results are not sharp and very low contrast , scanner scans half from the first , half from the second. I can say color film photography and kodak completely dead here.
    I have to buy a 40 dollar scanner , developer , fixer and big can of bw film and shipping is extremelly expensive. There is one shop at the city and have all but I did not like the guy , he is like a pirate movie star, I dont want to see his face and face with his anger.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good news and I'd love for them to resurrect some old emulsions but the reality is that they have enough problems selling what they have in their current product portofolio

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Certainly good news, they provide some feedback by saying they have a good demand for their film portfolio and will continue with it.
    Yes; No debt, clean start. But will do what we've always done. However, it might be still early to see their potential.

Given that the people at PI on Kodak Alaris might not see our forum, we could write them in behalf of the film community. Sending our letter directly to Mr Dennis Olbrich (IIRC he is the head of PI) In the lines of:

"APUG, in behalf of the film photography community are happy that the film capture division of Kodak Alaris continues to offer a good portfolio of excellent products. We would appreciate that Kodak Alaris further promoted the use of their film products. Some competitors (think Ilford) and endeavours (IP) in the same industry are currently advertising, promoting and following closely our community. In this era of Digital Imaging, Kodak's film is not as known as it was in the past; despite its superb quality. Many potential users don't know Kodak.
    Because it is not only about making and distributing film; Kodak film needs passion."

Don't you think it would be a nice way to say hello to this new company?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten301 View Post
    Well, my excitement and hopes for Kodak Alaris' commitment to analog photography has gone down a few notches after reading that post. The "new" Kodak is pretty much saying the same thing the "old" Kodak has for years. Instead of promoting the use of film, with all the millions of analog cameras out there, with the resurgence (while maybe not a tidal wave) of interest in film photography, we have the new guys saying, 'Oh gee...film is a mature product, so don't expect anything new from us.
    I really cannot begin to fathom what people are expecting from them, annual runs of Kodachrome in ULF?

Come ON people, when they say nothing new they mean new film, not marketing. Of course they will market film, they can now and it will help to turn a profit.....you do want them to turn a profit, right? This is just incredible to me, the lineup they have right this moment is truly some of the best film they have ever made and the quality is near mil-spec for pete's sake and yet all people can do is complain, what a truly sad state of commentary.

I am 100% in support of what ever they need to do in order to keep the current lineup and not make films like TMX and TMY in 4x5 $200+ a box, which I would still pay by the way.

You guys have got to start waking up, this is 2013 and Kodak film has emerged from bankruptcy, it could have been far, far worse folks.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yaaay - I can keep using TXP320. My favourite...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin