Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,981   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bollywood

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bollywood

Is Bollywood going digital as fast as Hollywood? Bollywood makes MORE movies than anywhere else so they certainly carry some weight in the film market. Don't they?

I would guess that India is slower to go digital than the US so hopefully after 2015 Bollywood can sustain film production.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cine markets in general are declining faster than expected.

For India that means that the share of new optical-film copies forms only a tiny fraction of screenings of new films.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In any consideration of the digitisation issue one must not mix up the share of analogue cinemas with the share of optical-film copies within the new-released films.The latter will be smaller.

Furthermore, the number of cinemas is even growing in part of the world. Those will be digital only.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If I can download any movie from internet , they can also. I read television programs are playing more important part in India , at some hours , even bus drivers follow their programs and nobody at the streets. They have a hindu legend and they produce every program on that legend.
    It continues for years and every year they make more on that. One american visitor writes , subject and its continuation turned to absurd and extremelly cheap. But this is their god.

If you want , watch india televisions from satellite and I saw ten cobras attacks a bad guy and kill him I dont know how they find these ninja cobras but it was really scary

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not quite true. In India, even due tio digitisation, new cinemas are emerging.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If I can download any movie from internet , they can also. I read television programs are playing more important part in India , at some hours , even bus drivers follow their programs and nobody at the streets. They have a hindu legend and they produce every program on that legend.
    It continues for years and every year they make more on that. One american visitor writes , subject and its continuation turned to absurd and extremelly cheap. But this is their god.

If you want , watch india televisions from satellite and I saw ten cobras attacks a bad guy and kill him I dont know how they find these ninja cobras but it was really scary
    Mustafa Umut Sarac: If APUG had an award for the most colorful, fun and interesting replies, you would have to be near the top

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, but are the movies MADE on film or are they digital from day one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Yes, but are the movies MADE on film or are they digital from day one?
    The relatively tiny volumes involved in shooting movies on film aren't nearly enough to maintain the industry.

The volumes involved in projection prints are what makes the industry work.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say think about it like this, what influences the decision to shoot film over digital?

If you want a certain 'film look', or 'digital look', the answer is obvious, but this is not a huge percentage of filmmakers anywhere.
    If you're renting your equipment, and can only afford so much on your budget (filming, editing, production, etc), and one is extremely cheaper than the other then that'll influence most people's decisions.
    If you're a big studio have a lot of old(er) film equipment lying around, and you can't afford to upgrade the whole lot to digital, then that'll influence what they choose. (This also counts for rental houses, the prices they charge are proportional to what they've got available).

So, does bollywood have lots of old film equipment lying around that they've been using for years? Are the incomes and profit-margins enough that they can all afford the latest digital equipment? Is the competition so fierce that mostly they just scrape through with a few pennies left, and they rely on the hand-me-down second-hand (film) stuff from the rest of the world?
    (not rhetorical, I've got no idea).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The relatively tiny volumes involved in shooting movies on film aren't nearly enough to maintain the industry.

The volumes involved in projection prints are what makes the industry work.
    I dont think this is true. Aren't most 1st world nations already heavily digital in theatres now? Sony just recently signed a deal with Kodak for 450 MILLION feet of film, for 2 years of production. One studio, half a billion feet of film. Surely a huge amount of that is for filming the movies, no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin