Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,566   Online: 1182

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i hear you ken ... but
    whenever there is a thread about kodak( since ummm 7 years ago maybe 10 ) or alaris now
    2/3 of any thread is venom spewed about how kodak screwed everyone over, they don't make this or that --- and alaris is nothing but the same bs ...

YADDA YADDA YADDA

i almost put threads that have kodak and/or alaris in the title on ignore ...

you forgot j&c, and the cutting-down, packing, shipping of ANY SIZE asa100/400 SHEET FILM ( 2x3 - 20x24+ ) done by photowarehouse.
    don't forget konica...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're of a certain age, and grew up in the US, it's almost a certainty that you learned using Kodak products. Your introduction to film, paper, chemistry, (and even guidebooks to learn from) were most likely produced by Kodak.
    Let's root for their success.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

you forgot j&c, and the cutting-down, packing, shipping of ANY SIZE asa100/400 SHEET FILM ( 2x3 - 20x24+ ) done by photowarehouse.
    Who is j&c? I've only mentioned those with coating facilities.

p.s. I'm a Kodak fan and user, past and present.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Let's see: Agfa Photo, Labaphot, Mimosa, Perutz, Kentmere, Forte, Svema, Ferrania, Fotokemika, Sterling (Allied Photographic India Ltd), Guillemoint,... went out of bussiness [sic] for good.
    Hmm. Kentmere film is made by Harman Technologies, the same folks that bring you Ilford B&W film. Kentmere 100 can still be had for under 3USD/roll from B&H, though I prefer the look of HP5+. Agfa Photo is a reseller of others' products (Precisa is apparently rebadged Fuji Provia). Nicola Baldini is in the process of bringing some Ferrania products back (filmferrania.it). Adox is attempting to bring back some of the Fotokemika products back under the Adox name.

B&W is in pretty good shape. There are lots B&W film products available and being manufactured. Folks have mourned the loss of HIE and Efke IR820, but Rollei IR400S is still around and you can get a good wood effect from it with an R72 filter. SFX200 from Ilford also has some IR sensitivity, though I've not tried it yet.

It's the color range that is becoming limited. In the consumer range of film we have Kodak Gold 200 and 400, and Fujicolor 200, 400, and 800. Agfa Photo markets rebadged Fuji Provia as Agfa Precisa, an amateur film (though I've not been able to find it in the US). Kodak used to make an 800 speed consumer film but apparently it's no longer around. In professional color negative emulsions we have Ektar 100 and Portra 160, 400, and 800. Fuji still has 400H in their professional line. In E6 we have only Agfa Precisa as a consumer film. In the pro range we have Fuji Provia 100F, Velvia 50, and Velvia 100. You can still get Velvia 100F from B&H though Fuji has discontinued it. Same with Provia 400X. We lost the Kodak line of E6 films last year, but Ferrania is supposed to be bringing back an updated version of Scotchchrome 100 in early 2014.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Me Super, Kentmere never produced films, only paper, some was quite unique (have you tried any of them?), it went belly up, was bought by Harman which recently killed the whole Kentmere portfolio except for the Select RC paper. Kentmere films are recent. Rough times for analogue photo industry I would say.

Shooter
    35mm
    For the record my daughter uses Kodak's consumer films, and when I shoot color negative, it's usually in my 620 camera, which gets fed Ektar and Portra. 35mm Color slide (which is what I usually shoot) is Fuji Provia 100F (which pushes nicely to 320), or Velvia 100, though I did run a roll of Velvia 50 through most recently for fall colors. B&W is either HP5+ or Rollei IR400S.

I guess you could say I support all of the Big Three manufacturers of film.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Me Super, Kentmere never produced films, only paper, some was quite unique (have you tried any of them?), it went belly up, was bought by Harman which recently killed the whole Kentmere portfolio except for the Select RC paper. Kentmere films are recent. Rough times for analogue photo industry I would say.
    Haven't tried the Kentmere papers, sorry. Didn't know pre-Harman Kentmere only made paper. The Ilford line is quite good, and while I don't do my own printing, I've used their papers for paper negatives, they work quite well.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    i hear you ken ... but
    whenever there is a thread about kodak( since ummm 7 years ago maybe 10 ) or alaris now
    2/3 of any thread is venom spewed about how kodak screwed everyone over, they don't make this or that --- and alaris is nothing but the same bs ...

YADDA YADDA YADDA

i almost put threads that have kodak and/or alaris in the title on ignore ...

So far my new thread about kodak is good, you should check it out since you know stuff
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    Who is j&c? I've only mentioned those with coating facilities.

p.s. I'm a Kodak fan and user, past and present.
    j+c was a company who started out as an importer of european films
    and were planning on starting their own coating &c ... it would have been glorious ..
    but unfortunately they are just a sad memory that makes a lot of good people kind of cranky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I am sorry to say, but you are wrong.
    Yes, you are of course correct.

I was thinking more along the lines of either first- or second-tier manufacturers with a global presence, not necessarily smaller, regional third-tier players. From the Big Four, three have crashed and burned. And the fourth is getting perilously close, at least for film. And of course at another level there is/was Efke, who was a bit of a different animal.

The biggest, EK, is now in the process of reconstituting in the form of Alaris. Agfa morphed into AgfaPhoto, which itself crashed. But Adox is slowly reconstituting parts of that product line as market conditions allow. Harman/Ilford is, of course, the gold standard of the reconstitution process itself. And Fujifilm is lurching toward an uncertain film future that is typically inscrutable. They could crash tomorrow, or ten years from tomorrow, and I wouldn't be surprised either way. And wouldn't know of it until the very day it happened.

So as of the moment, all four are still with us in some form, with three already reworked (or reworking) into formats with hopefully better chances of survival.

Besides those there is also Impossible Project (who seem to be doing just fine in spite of Fujifilm's mature instant offerings), and a possible sleeper in Ferrania, who is reportedly working on those newly reengineered E-6 possibilities everyone is talking about. If Fujifilm throws in the towel, Ferrania would have that niche market all to themselves. And if they can solve the problems of niche manufacturing (and I don't see why they would even be trying to reconstitute themselves if they didn't think they could), that market could be lucrative as a niche monopoly.

So really, in the recent past none of the bigger players has actually gone out of business for good. It's been painful. Excruciatingly painful in some cases. But they are still around and still trying to downsize in various ways.

And a few new efforts are also showing promise. The TIP films have improved dramatically in quality, I hear. Adox has just released a new film to good reviews. And has also reconstituted some legendary b&w papers as well, with more on the way. Harman has added several new products, including of all things large format pinhole cameras that are apparently selling well. Well enough that they expanded from 4x5 into 8x10. Who knew??

So I question this breathlessly panicked doomsday attitude that postulates we must all just shut up, never make any of our new/old product wishes known, and buy as much of whatever Kodak tells us to buy as we can because the film world is about to go extinct by tomorrow morning. Really?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin