Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,299   Online: 917

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    So then, assuming for just a moment that such an international anti-film grand conspiracy is true, it's comforting to know that Alaris is already on it. They are on it, aren't they? By quickly rolling out highly visible new advertising and awareness campaigns to counter and blunt this digital conspiracy against film? And to begin shifting the marketplace back into their favor?

Ken
    Whhaaaaaat?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Whhaaaaaat?
    Taking the obviously incorrect converse point of view in order to more clearly define and advance the original argument.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, thank goodness. I thought for a minute there that you had completely lost it.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Wow, quite a discussion up here! And I just find it before going to sleep... Anyways will try to write a few points around but I might miss as I'm quite tired.
    And Dan, you finally updated the blog, nice! Will have to read that post soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    There is a somewhat sinister momentum that has been taking place in regards to the public's awareness on film ever since all the news about the demise of Kodachrome that Stone is talking about.
    [...]
    This is NO JOKE dammit, so THINK about this next time you ask for Pan-F in 4x5 or the return of Kodak E6. The best thing you can do as a film user to help market digital is keep asking for films that have been discontinued. Because you are making a potential film user feel like they are late to the party and all the good stuff is gone, so why bother.

It's completely baffling to me how some can not see this...
    I think the conspiracy era has passed but there is that negative momentum in that people think film is dead. I guess that it was the Overwhelming tsunami of digital that just filled in all the information channels everywhere and film (as interest for the public) vanished in an information point of view.
    A friend once told me: "Oh, film, I thought it ceased to be manufactured a long ago, I just remember it was quite expensive". Rather than the general public, cater to the Amateur/pro, the Nikon DF client.
    And all the hype and interest is in digital. Difficult to change that, but it's easy for alaris to keep mentioning film on their pages.

Have a look at Google trends searching film related terms. Gives a sense of googling volume.

And well, I think Alaris are doing a good job at the moment. Probably much better than EK and it's unpredictability. Expectations matter a lot, and if people believe that it's getting worse, it will be worse.

As of Kodachrome, I am (now) 19. Didn't get to shoot it until the last and ended loving it. I understand it's unfeasible to bring it back, but I'm a case in which a bit of consumer curiousity led into it. I think it was crazy to ask them about Kodachrome. E6 is all it can be aspired to remanufacture with a reasonable frame.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great Kodak film shooters like John Sexton and ULF film vendors like KB Canham Cameras all link and like each other on Facebook to great effect, that is proper marketing
    Is it? A few industry insiders "liking" each other on Facebook? This is the kind of proper marketing the man in the street who thinks Kodak closed down when they stopped making Kodachrome is never going to see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    Is it? A few industry insiders "liking" each other on Facebook? This is the kind of proper marketing the man in the street who thinks Kodak closed down when they stopped making Kodachrome is never going to see.
    For every 10 people on the street, there's 1 on facebook - dont count it out.

Twitter and Facebook are both news and information sources to people now. Regardless of age and location.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear PKM,

As other people have said this is a KODAK Alaris thread but to briefly answer your question, our marketing efforts have certainly moved away from printed media to the Web and web based methods in the last 5 years, but our brand allows us to get more editorial and coloumn inches than perhaps our $ size would justify.

Lots of our 'sweat' marketing ( meaning time / effort / not always money ) comes from work we do with our distributor partners around the world to promote analog ( monochrome mostly) photography and especially relating to photo education and things like Defend the Darkroom.

The issue we always had was ILFORD 'the smallest of the biggest or the biggest of the smallest' photo companies.

This makes broader ( world wide ) marketing initiatives challenging for us.

I had an excellent markeeter mentor when I joined ILFORD Photo...loooooong ago and I have never forgot what he said about print advertising

'Simon... its all very well but only half our advertising works...I've been at this for thirty years and I still don't know which half it is ! '

I hope that helps a bit.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Lots of our 'sweat' marketing ( meaning time / effort / not always money ) comes from work we do with our distributor partners around the world to promote analog ( monochrome mostly) photography and especially relating to photo education and things like Defend the Darkroom..
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Simon, great insight and very down to earth in prose. The quoted statement above really embodies what we all need to be doing I think, including Kodak alaris. I knew it was somewhat edgy to ask you to reply on this thread but in some ways, it shows exactly what a company who makes film and wants to sell it needs to be doing.

I defend Kodak a lot, because I know that the people who really want to do more of the above have had their hands tied by the previous regime. But Colleen....and I know that you are reading this, it's time. It's time to really start making a presence in communities like this one and for very little capitol investment engage with past, present and future film customers in refreshing new ways. You have a captive audience right now, some naysayers, some hopefuls and some dreamers, engage with all of them in the manner in which Simon has above and you will have fully seized your new day.

With all due respect to Colleen, Audrey and the rest of Kodak-alaris, I hope to see you present your selves to us within 6 months in a manner that tells us that you are being smart in how you market your product line and inspire people to put their faith back into the yellow boxes.

Aside from continuing to make fine images with your products, I have done all I can, so come on now, join the party.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Simon, great insight and very down to earth in prose. The quoted statement above really embodies what we all need to be doing I think, including Kodak alaris. I knew it was somewhat edgy to ask you to reply on this thread but in some ways, it shows exactly what a company who makes film and wants to sell it needs to be doing.

I defend Kodak a lot, because I know that the people who really want to do more of the above have had their hands tied by the previous regime. But Colleen....and I know that you are reading this, it's time. It's time to really start making a presence in communities like this one and for very little capitol investment engage with past, present and future film customers in refreshing new ways. You have a captive audience right now, some naysayers, some hopefuls and some dreamers, engage with all of them in the manner in which Simon has above and you will have fully seized your new day.

With all due respect to Colleen, Audrey and the rest of Kodak-alaris, I hope to see you present your selves to us within 6 months in a manner that tells us that you are being smart in how you market your product line and inspire people to put their faith back into the yellow boxes.

Aside from continuing to make fine images with your products, I have done all I can, so come on now, join the party.
    There must be some really bad things going on with the Kodak (U.S.) distribution system right now. Twice in the past couple weeks, photo store assistant managers have told me that Kodak film was hard to get. And these were major stores. I hope it's because of the uncertainty surrounding the sale and not an indicator of the future.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    There must be some really bad things going on with the Kodak (U.S.) distribution system right now. Twice in the past couple weeks, photo store assistant managers have told me that Kodak film was hard to get. And these were major stores. I hope it's because of the uncertainty surrounding the sale and not an indicator of the future.
    This was mentioned earlier, it's not just in the US apparently, it's worldwide?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin