Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,376   Online: 1076

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 913141516171819202122 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hey Stone, i'm with you on this. Although, it has some good news but i bet this would have some bad news in the future.. Film price etc etc..

I'm also a Vinyl lover although i'm not into Hi-end audio stuff. I'm a digger.. These hipsters makes the Vinyl world go crazy.. What i noticed lately is the record prices are going up higher especially the new releases. Years ago you can get $8.99-$10.99 new releases, now it's going up because of the resurgence... I don't think that's getting any better. New album cost almost double, reissue and stuff.. Oh well.. I just hope these two (Film and Vinyl records) won't turn into very expensive hobby that i won't be able to afford in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    haha, I've only been allowed into a hipster club once, and it was under duress, I mean the real ones... it's pretty elite hah!

I think that giving people a camera with SOME controls, and SOME education would go a long way to helping people get into it, just give them a few settings like the old Kodak folder cameras, 1/100, 1/50, 1/25, B, T ... that way they LEARN something and become more invested in it by having "elite" lost knowledge...

Anyway this whole discussion is stupid, someone asked why I cringed, and it's because of a perspective I have, it doesn't mean it's right, even I know it's not right, I'm just telling you my reaction to it, it's a reflex...

hehe *snicker*
    FILM GUERILLA
    Film Photography All Day, Everyday!

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
    FG Blog

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Film Guerilla View Post
    Hey Stone, i'm with you on this. Although, it has some good news but i bet this would have some bad news in the future.. Film price etc etc..

I'm also a Vinyl lover although i'm not into Hi-end audio stuff. I'm a digger.. These hipsters makes the Vinyl world go crazy.. What i noticed lately is the record prices are going up higher especially the new releases. Years ago you can get $8.99-$10.99 new releases, now it's going up because of the resurgence... I don't think that's getting any better. New album cost almost double, reissue and stuff.. Oh well.. I just hope these two (Film and Vinyl records) won't turn into very expensive hobby that i won't be able to afford in the next few years.
    I would bet that the vinyl prices going up has more to do with the oil prices going up there anything else, but I'm sure the hipster movement doesn't help, it's also very specialized so it cost them more to produce and distribute then say a CD or even less than that iTunes Store purchases that everyone is using now.

Good luck!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, looks like they (Kodak - Alaris) are doing something....

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124533
    Popped up in my mail now - lovely isn't it? Kodak is going where a ready and un-complaining market exists!!
    It will definitely do a good deal for the market share. I wonder if lomo is going to be a hub now!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Popped up in my mail now - lovely isn't it? Kodak is going where a ready and un-complaining market exists!!
    It will definitely do a good deal for the market share. I wonder if lomo is going to be a hub now!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
    Oh don't worry, lots of old photographers will start to gripe about this too, how kodak is going "amateur " or some crap... lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh don't worry, lots of old photographers will start to gripe about this too, how kodak is going "amateur " or some crap... lol
    ?
    kodak INVENTED the amateur market
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ?
    Yeah I suppose it's kind of ironic, Kodak cameras though some of them in the early days were more elaborate, then all of a sudden it seems like they just produced a bunch of plastic junk for a while, film was always good, but their cameras sometimes sucked just like the Lomography cameras do.. Good point John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ?
    I read that somewhere a few years ago and it's just a US illusion. A bit like Beaumont Newhall's History of Photography.

That doesn't mean either is false rather that they are purely US viewpoints and have little in common with the wider reality in the rest of the world. Kodak certainly didn't invent the amateur market but they learnt how to milk it That's good business.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I read that somewhere a few years ago and it's just a US illusion. A bit like Beaumont Newhall's History of Photography.

That doesn't mean either is false rather that they are purely US viewpoints and have little in common with the wider reality in the rest of the world. Kodak certainly didn't invent the amateur market but they learnt how to milk it That's good business.

Ian
    If you consider the difference between the ultra professional view camera users, and the Kodak folder / Autographic type users as amateur versus pro, I'm sure it's pretty clear that Kodak had a big hand in the amateur market, even if the quality was decent.

Shooter
    35mm
    The George Eastman House has a great new exhibit: The Kodak Camera at 125 see: http://www.eastmanhouse.org/events/d...title=kodak125

It includes a teardown of the rotating cylinder shutter used which was quite innovative.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin