Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,881   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both fascinating and poignant that in the end the interview devolves back to the same question for Kodak that always ends up getting asked,

"Can we have our Kodachrome back?"

It's not that the answer is ever going to change. No, it's just fascinating that the question continues to be asked. And poignant because I don't think EK ever really, really understood in depth what it had created in Kodachrome. Sure, they knew it was a highly profitable (at the time) product line. A technological and engineering (at the time) tour de force. An ongoing (at the time) cash cow. But still and all...

I don't think they ever really fully grasped the culturally iconic nature of the stuff. The collective emotions behind all of those family portraits. And town portraits. And factory portraits. And WWII portraits. And all of the other billions of portaits that over the generations, collectively, became a powerful de facto national portrait of America.

It's the vestigial remnants of that iconic nature that result in the question continuing to be asked. Even at this late, late date. And interesting to note is that he still beat around the bush and couldn't bring himself to give the necessary straight answer.

Which is simply "No."

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak, not much use to me until they bring back at least Ektachrome and Plus-X. I would be very happy if Tech Pan came back too.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SRT-102 | XD-5 | XD-11 | XE-7 | Hi-Matic 9 | Hi-Matic 11 | Sears 35RF | Minolta 5D | Sony A300 | Mamiya C220 | Bronica SQ-a | Yashica YK | Minolta Maxxum 7000 | Pentax K1000 | Speed Graphic 23

http://blisslars.tumblr.com/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    The whole "keep the remaining portfolio" party line is lame. The real reason that is the case is they have neither the talent nor resources to do anything else. They (alaris) couldn't develop a new emulsion if they wanted to.
    How do you know?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We're very fortunate that Fuji still makes transparency film at all. Face it, the market for the stuff is for all intents and purposes dead. What used to sustain it was the commercial studios that shot chromes for reproduction purposes in catalogs, magazines, and other print media. Right now, print media are facing a crisis of their own and are lucky to survive, and digital capture is the means of preference for any and all publications be they in print or online due to the speed of production and transmission. That market is never coming back. Color negative film availability for us consumers (and that's what we are, just consumers, not volume shooters) is sustained at a semi-affordable price only by virtue of the volume of motion picture film stock being produced and consumed by the motion picture industry. Should that decline precipitously, you can kiss C41 goodbye, even if every single APUG member were to go out and buy a thousand rolls of Portra 160 a year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeez.....so much hate towards Kodak. Sorry I posted that link guys. I won't do so again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really don't see anything bad in that interview...

Seems pretty rational to me to continue with what is working, and then see where you can go next.

Yes it would be something to see a huge announcement, and a world wide mega buck campaign brining back everything there ever was. And six months later when the whole thing imploded, how much fun then?

I'm thankful that there is any kind of film future. With time they may sort out a way to make it amazing. And if they do not, well at least somebody tried...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    I really don't see anything bad in that interview...

Seems pretty rational to me to continue with what is working, and then see where you can go next.

Yes it would be something to see a huge announcement, and a world wide mega buck campaign brining back everything there ever was. And six months later when the whole thing imploded, how much fun then?

I'm thankful that there is any kind of film future. With time they may sort out a way to make it amazing. And if they do not, well at least somebody tried...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    +1, still a Kodak user and probably will remain so until the last yellow box.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The editing is so poor, I find it almost impossible to read.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    (lomo? wtf... obviously not a serious film user himself)
    What makes you think people can't do "serious" work with lomo?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    What makes you think people can't do "serious" work with lomo?
    Whenever I hear LOMO, I just cringe, however when I truly think about it isn't using something like a Petzval lens on purpose to get a weird unfocused area with an interesting look kind of the same thing as what the Lomo guys do?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin