Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,598   Online: 981

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10141516171819202122 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I read that somewhere a few years ago and it's just a US illusion. A bit like Beaumont Newhall's History of Photography.

That doesn't mean either is false rather that they are purely US viewpoints and have little in common with the wider reality in the rest of the world. Kodak certainly didn't invent the amateur market but they learnt how to milk it That's good business.

Ian

hi ian

you are right
    they capitalized on it ..
    and even after they nearly lost their shirt when the person who
    invented roll film sued them for millions ( and won! ) .. the history writers
    have most people brainwashed in saying kodak invented roll film thats good business+marketing too

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yeah I suppose it's kind of ironic, Kodak cameras though some of them in the early days were more elaborate, then all of a sudden it seems like they just produced a bunch of plastic junk for a while, film was always good, but their cameras sometimes sucked just like the Lomography cameras do.. Good point John.
    as soon as it was possible to make cheap / inexpensive cameras ( inexpensive materials ) kodak did
    millions of box cameras and other stuff just like everyone else in the usa and abroad between ww1+2 and then
    even more so afterwards. the lomo cameras aren't really much different than what was being sold already (by kodak )
    except they ( lomo ) have capitalized on the crowd that want to shoot lofi/low tech stuff.
    ( if kodak continued to make cheap 35mm and 120 cameras until their demise they would have given lomo and holga a run for the $$
    seeing they have a 100+ year history doing just that )

i agree with their (lomo ) philosophy quite a bit and think that with fewer controls ( focus aperture shutter speed ) it frees
    the photographer to just take photographs instead of everything else. yeah i know, i have full control cameras too
    but they aren't as much fun
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi ian

you are right
    they capitalized on it ..
    and even after they nearly lost their shirt when the person who
    invented roll film sued them for millions ( and won! ) .. the history writers
    have most people brainwashed in saying kodak invented roll film thats good business+marketing too

as soon as it was possible to make cheap / inexpensive cameras ( inexpensive materials ) kodak did
    millions of box cameras and other stuff just like everyone else in the usa and abroad between ww1+2 and then
    even more so afterwards. the lomo cameras aren't really much different than what was being sold already (by kodak )
    except they ( lomo ) have capitalized on the crowd that want to shoot lofi/low tech stuff.
    ( if kodak continued to make cheap 35mm and 120 cameras until their demise they would have given lomo and holga a run for the $$
    seeing they have a 100+ year history doing just that )

i agree with their (lomo ) philosophy quite a bit and think that with fewer controls ( focus aperture shutter speed ) it frees
    the photographer to just take photographs instead of everything else. yeah i know, i have full control cameras too
    but they aren't as much fun
    Depends on your perspective, I think the more control I have more fun I have, it's a slower process but my enjoyment is in the creation, rather than in the luck. That I can easily see how the fun crazy I'm not sure what's going to happen mentality can also be fun, it's just not as satisfying for some people as it is for others. But either way I'm glad the Kodak is hopping on the Lomography bandwagon rather then completely falling apart.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    naah has nothing to do with luck .. if you know your equipment, and materials
    it is just as easy to take a great photograph without controls as it is with controls ...
    look at some of the stellar holga work done by eddie and jersey vic ( just for 2 ) ... absolutely mindblowing and no controls.

i hope next they send some master rolls to photo warehouse so THEY can start doing custom sheet sizes again....
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    naah has nothing to do with luck .. if you know your equipment, and materials
    it is just as easy to take a great photograph without controls as it is with controls ...
    look at some of the stellar holga work done by eddie and jersey vic ( just for 2 ) ... absolutely mindblowing and no controls.

i hope next they send some master rolls to photo warehouse so THEY can start doing custom sheet sizes again....
    There's a company that does, I just emailed them about doing a custom 4x5 in double-x... They said they might... So.. If they can do that, the sky's the limit on other stuff.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    There's a company that does, I just emailed them about doing a custom 4x5 in double-x... They said they might... So.. If they can do that, the sky's the limit on other stuff.

thats kind of strange since super-xx hasn't been made in ages
    and kodak has never let anyone else cut master rolls of their film ..
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format

A Conversation with Kodak Alaris

Double x vs. super double x. Didn't think they coated double x on a estar base, at least not in recent years. Thought it was MP only.
    Last edited by erikg; 11-15-2013 at 08:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Double x vs. super double x. Didn't think they coated double x on a estar base, at least not in recent years. Thought it was MP only.
    It IS MP film, and it's DOUBLE X that's why I said EastmanXX (or I thought I did...) Eastman indicated Movie Stock...

Anyway I asked if it was possible and they are contacting kodak to see, I said I didn't care about the base, and I don't, the base on double-X is fairly thick so it should be able to process fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll quote my father:

"There have been far more great photographs taken with Brownies/Instamatics than all the SLRs and high-end cameras combined."

I think Stone is too young to know that at one time, in North America at least, people used the words "Kodak" and "Camera" interchangeably.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

A Conversation with Kodak Alaris

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'll quote my father:

"There have been far more great photographs taken with Brownies/Instamatics than all the SLRs and high-end cameras combined."

I think Stone is too young to know that at one time, in North America at least, people used the words "Kodak" and "Camera" interchangeably.
    I'm too young to remember, for sure, but I am aware of that, I read it here on APUG many times..

Or should I say AKUG...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    "Hey Buck, get the Kodak."
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin