Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,614   Online: 966

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Whenever I hear LOMO, I just cringe...
    Whenever I hear LOMO, I think film sales.

If tanking film sales is the enemy, then the enemy of my enemy is my friend...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-07-2013 at 07:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added quote block since I paged over...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Jeez.....so much hate towards Kodak. Sorry I posted that link guys. I won't do so again.
    Please don't hesitate to post links like this in the future - there are also lots of people here who are cheering for Kodak. It is certainly true that Kodak's circumstances evoke passion.

On the editing issue, my take on the representative from Alaris is that his first language is not English. I think some of the "choppyness" of what he says comes from that.

One thing I liked from the conversation is that it is the first explicit reference I have seen to the effect that Alaris has the marketing responsibilities for Kodak chemistry.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Jeez.....so much hate towards Kodak. Sorry I posted that link guys. I won't do so again.

I very much appreciate you hinting at that interview. And aside confirming their conservative stand towards their portfolio there is is that important remark on marketing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    On the editing issue, my take on the representative from Alaris is that his first language is not English. I think some of the "choppyness" of what he says comes from that.
    There was some incorrect punctuation (and spacing) which is likely the fault of the writer. A few sentences make more sense if you imagine a few commas in opportune places.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whenever I hear LOMO, I just cringe...
    I don't understand comments like this. What about it makes you cringe? Have you ever worked with a Holga, or Diana?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I don't understand comments like this. What about it makes you cringe? Have you ever worked with a Holga, or Diana?
    If you didn't notice I followed that with positive things about the idea of "lomo"

Anyway, I actually know real Hipsters, not hipsters from some rural town who aren't really hipsters, I mean the real NYC hipsters, not many of them actually use Holga's and more than enough actually have some knowledge of film more than you'd think anyway, but the idea of lomo from how I perceive it, isn't about art, it's basically about making instagram images with film, there are some who use a holga as a tool, who truly create, but the fast majority of people I know who bought a holga who weren't already skilled in film etc, shot a roll or two, and either haven't ever had it developed because of the cost, or don't know where to go, and definitely haven't bought more film... it's like a one time purchase on a whim.

I'm not saying this is the majority, I'm just saying you asked why I cringe, it's because I think of all the failed introductions to film with what could have been some grand adventure, but instead was stifled by lack of info and cost.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I actually know real Hipsters, not hipsters from some rural town who aren't really hipsters, I mean the real NYC hipsters,

That is quite possibly the most hipster statement I have ever seen. Did you know these hipsters before it was cool to know hipsters? LOL

the vast majority of people I know who bought a holga who weren't already skilled in film etc, shot a roll or two, and either haven't ever had it developed because of the cost, or don't know where to go, and definitely haven't bought more film... it's like a one time purchase on a whim.
    How does this make LOMO at fault? You are talking about people who bought a film camera and didn't even get their film developed because of the cost... Do you honestly think they would be better served with a "nicer" camera? Hell they could have shot with a Hasselblad, that won't change the cost of development. If the Holga/lomo cameras weren't available to these people they probably would have never shot any film at all. I would be willing to wager a large sum of money that most of the people who gave up on film after using the Lomo cameras would have given up after using any other camera as well. I for one love Lomo even though I don't own any of their cameras or have any plans to, because it means more people shooting film.

In addition to being a photo nerd I am also a Hi-Fi nerd. I belong to several forums dedicated to that pursuit and for the last several years I've had to listen to a bunch of guys on those sites complaining about the "hipsters" buying up vinyl at the local record stores. Never mind the fact that until those hipsters started buying the vinyl most local record stores were closing up in droves. And never mind the fact that without those hipsters buying records most bands wouldn't be releasing new albums on vinyl. All they can see is young people who are excited about something but are doing it "wrong" and thus must be shunned and/or made fun of. I see a lot of that same mentality around photograpers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Both fascinating and poignant that in the end the interview devolves back to the same question for Kodak that always ends up getting asked,

"Can we have our Kodachrome back?"

It's not that the answer is ever going to change. No, it's just fascinating that the question continues to be asked. And poignant because I don't think EK ever really, really understood in depth what it had created in Kodachrome. Sure, they knew it was a highly profitable (at the time) product line. A technological and engineering (at the time) tour de force. An ongoing (at the time) cash cow. But still and all...

I don't think they ever really fully grasped the culturally iconic nature of the stuff. The collective emotions behind all of those family portraits. And town portraits. And factory portraits. And WWII portraits. And all of the other billions of portaits that over the generations, collectively, became a powerful de facto national portrait of America.

It's the vestigial remnants of that iconic nature that result in the question continuing to be asked. Even at this late, late date. And interesting to note is that he still beat around the bush and couldn't bring himself to give the necessary straight answer.

Which is simply "No."

Ken
    How about "can we have E6 back?" Unlike Kodachrome that might, just, be a not-totally-unreasonable hope. The higher saturation/contrast niche is filled well enough by Fuji still but I'd give - well I'd buy a lot of it anyway - to have E100G and Ektachrome 400 back. The latter wasn't as good as Provia 400X but with that going away, I'd take ANY decent quality 400 speed E6 film, plus a moderate contrast and saturation 100 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebbiebear View Post
    That is quite possibly the most hipster statement I have ever seen. Did you know these hipsters before it was cool to know hipsters? LOL
    I know a few too, but you probably never heard of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Interesting read, the important thing is that their business is film, not 'strategic interests in digital workflows' or other BS. All film users need is a company that wants to make film, without any of the extraneous rubbish that caused Kodak to fail in the first place.
    IOW, Ilford? And Adox and Foma?

Seriously, I know those don't and likely never will do color (Ilford could if it were profitable but they are wisely sticking to what they can do superbly and make money at.)

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin