Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,712   Online: 898

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebbiebear View Post
    That is quite possibly the most hipster statement I have ever seen. Did you know these hipsters before it was cool to know hipsters? LOL
    haha, I've only been allowed into a hipster club once, and it was under duress, I mean the real ones... it's pretty elite hah!

How does this make LOMO at fault? You are talking about people who bought a film camera and didn't even get their film developed because of the cost... Do you honestly think they would be better served with a "nicer" camera? Hell they could have shot with a Hasselblad, that won't change the cost of development. If the Holga/lomo cameras weren't available to these people they probably would have never shot any film at all. I would be willing to wager a large sum of money that most of the people who gave up on film after using the Lomo cameras would have given up after using any other camera as well. I for one love Lomo even though I don't own any of their cameras or have any plans to, because it means more people shooting film.

In addition to being a photo nerd I am also a Hi-Fi nerd. I belong to several forums dedicated to that pursuit and for the last several years I've had to listen to a bunch of guys on those sites complaining about the "hipsters" buying up vinyl at the local record stores. Never mind the fact that until those hipsters started buying the vinyl most local record stores were closing up in droves. And never mind the fact that without those hipsters buying records most bands wouldn't be releasing new albums on vinyl. All they can see is young people who are excited about something but are doing it "wrong" and thus must be shunned and/or made fun of. I see a lot of that same mentality around photograpers.
    I think that giving people a camera with SOME controls, and SOME education would go a long way to helping people get into it, just give them a few settings like the old Kodak folder cameras, 1/100, 1/50, 1/25, B, T ... that way they LEARN something and become more invested in it by having "elite" lost knowledge...

Anyway this whole discussion is stupid, someone asked why I cringed, and it's because of a perspective I have, it doesn't mean it's right, even I know it's not right, I'm just telling you my reaction to it, it's a reflex...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I know a few too, but you probably never heard of them.
    hehe *snicker*
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    How about "can we have E6 back?" Unlike Kodachrome that might, just, be a not-totally-unreasonable hope. The higher saturation/contrast niche is filled well enough by Fuji still but I'd give - well I'd buy a lot of it anyway - to have E100G and Ektachrome 400 back. The latter wasn't as good as Provia 400X but with that going away, I'd take ANY decent quality 400 speed E6 film, plus a moderate contrast and saturation 100 film.
    We may have not always seen eye-to-eye on some things, but boy I'm with you on this one. I have no real interest in color negatives. I want something I can drop on my light box and drool over. Then scan up nicely because the final transparency IS the final display medium.

Besides, where I live it's overcast 90% of all days every year. Attach a warming filter and any transparency film will look great. The inherent higher contrast of the film type itself is not a liability. In fact, most dull, cloudy days here it's a real asset.

On a tripod, that is. Losing 400-speed up here is a serious loss. Hand-holding gets relegated to that other 10% of the days. And I have to work 5/7ths of all of those, dang it...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Have you ever worked with a Holga, or Diana?
    I want one of those wide aspect ratio Belairs. Is that what they're called? But I swear if I so much as whisper out loud that I want another camera my other half will use a steak knife to behead me in my sleep...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I want one of those wide aspect ratio Belairs. Is that what they're called? But I swear if I so much as whisper out loud that I want another camera my other half will use a steak knife to behead me in my sleep...

Ken
    Just tell your other half that that would create such a mess ...
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am rooting for Kodak Alaris and I am glad to hear that they won't be risking the currently fantastic product line by doing something fiscally idiotic like trying to bring back E-6, Techpan or Kodachrome. As 2013 comes to a close, I am both grateful and inspired by the choices we have from Kodak.

Thanks for reading the thread Colleen, you folks have worked your butts off! Just focus on the photographers proudly using great Kodak films to lure viewers into their personal vision. Especially the young people who are not bitter and pissed off at the new world of film, desperately clinging onto the hope of bringing back products that simply will not have enough demand to exist.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

Ken
    I wanted one before I had my 6x12 back. But I wanted to get a better lens in it.

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I am rooting for Kodak Alaris and I am glad to hear that they won't be risking the currently fantastic product line by doing something fiscally idiotic like trying to bring back E-6, Techpan or Kodachrome. As 2013 comes to a close, I am both grateful and inspired by the choices we have from Kodak.

Thanks for reading the thread Colleen, you folks have worked your butts off! Just focus on the photographers proudly using great Kodak films to lure viewers into their personal vision. Especially the young people who are not bitter and pissed off at the new world of film, desperately clinging onto the hope of bringing back products that simply will not have enough demand to exist.
    I'll come on Dan, you don't want some crazy new film like Alarichrome? Haha Alariroyal... Alari-X
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Whenever I hear LOMO, I think film sales
    +1 to that!

Maybe after Kodak Alaris has a chance to stabilize and see where things are at then possibly they can decide if an E6 (or other new) product could be made in a sustainable volume. I doubt there is much good marketing data from EK to really tell them much of anything since Perez clearly was not interested. And they have to have a chance to do some actual marketing - which I hope they will do.
    Last edited by kb3lms; 11-08-2013 at 09:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I started out in the 1950's with an Ansco 120 "TLR" that had a little knob to rotate a filter or a closeup lens into the optical path. Look through the red window, wind to the next number, and push the red button. The equivalent of a Diana or Holga, 30 years ahead of time. I managed to move from there to where I am today, having learned f/stops and shutter speeds etc along the way. I simply don't understand the attitude that people who are entering photography via Lomo etc are to be looked down on. Everyone starts somewhere, no one emerges from the womb uttering the Scheimpflug principle. Maybe the "I so hip" bit can get wearing, but from the point of view of preserving analog photography, what do we care? I'll only get upset if someone takes away all my quality gear and forces me to shoot with a Lomo; until then, welcome aboard. And if what remains of Kodak continues to produce stuff for me to use, well, I'll thank them for that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I started out in the 1950's with an Ansco 120 "TLR" that had a little knob to rotate a filter or a closeup lens into the optical path. Look through the red window, wind to the next number, and push the red button. The equivalent of a Diana or Holga, 30 years ahead of time. I managed to move from there to where I am today, having learned f/stops and shutter speeds etc along the way. I simply don't understand the attitude that people who are entering photography via Lomo etc are to be looked down on. Everyone starts somewhere, no one emerges from the womb uttering the Scheimpflug principle. Maybe the "I so hip" bit can get wearing, but from the point of view of preserving analog photography, what do we care? I'll only get upset if someone takes away all my quality gear and forces me to shoot with a Lomo; until then, welcome aboard. And if what remains of Kodak continues to produce stuff for me to use, well, I'll thank them for that.
    The perspective of use is different, when you were a kid things weren't so fast and that camera was your only option.

Now kids have cell phones with auto exposure so the camera is a novelty not a tool. But when you're used to auto everything, and you get a camera that appears to be auto with only one button, and then you get the results back and they aren't really very good because they are over or under exposed etc, you give up and chalk it up to film being lame. But given a few directions and options, they might have a better experience and have decent results to show for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone, I hope the "real hipsters" you know were of age in the 1950s. If not, there is little distinction to be made between contemporary "real" and "fake" hipsters. They are all fake. It's just another retro fad, whether you shoot lomo or iPhone.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin