Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,702   Online: 1168

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i hate threads like this.
    kodak haters, kodak bashers, lomo haters and bashers
    hipster haters, hipster bashers

too much hate...

we're lucky kodak's stuff is still around, its been a rough 10 years.
    most every analog "consumables" company has had extreme troubles and some haven't come back from the grave.

i think it is extremely strange that in a shrinking market where fewer people are shooting black and white or color film than ever
    that people are upset with kodak for discontinuing films that weren't selling ? its obvious that these people
    have never owned a business, taken a college ( or high school level ) course in economics or have any idea
    what it is like to make products and lose your shirt when no one buys them.

its like the guy that opened up a sandwich shop about 1 miles from where i live ...
    he had a year lease that cost 1000$ / month
    he had to renovate the space
    buy restaurant equipment
    supplies
    "stuff"

he was open for maybe 2 months
    now he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    And be really grateful we have *any* film at all in 2014....
    amen!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John,

Just be careful not to be pulled too far off center line here. Healthy disagreement is not hatred. As well, it's vital that everyone's views and opinions be heard and not gagged. And the topic of returning a discontinued film (Kodachrome) to production was actually first broached by the interviewer in the link shared in the first post of this thread, not by later posters here.

And as far as doomsday scenarios are concerned, if I'm not mistaken there have been more new or reconstituted film manufacturing companies started in the last few years than there have been film companies that have gone out of business for good. Something to think about...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji's E6 offerings are very good. For B&W, I'm mostly an Ilford user, though I do use the Rollei IR400 for infrared. It's not HIE, but you get a very nice Wood effect with an R72 - in full sun I shoot it at EI25 with the R72. I shoot mostly E6, hence most of my shooting these days is done with Fuji. It is much rarer that I shoot C-41, but when I do, it's Kodak. Their Ektar 100 and Portra 400 work well in my "toy" camera. When I'm in the mood for a square format slide that's projectable with a 35mm projector, instead of lamenting the loss of 126, I respool some Kodak 120 color negative film onto a 620 spool and shoot it in my 6x6 camera. Once I have the negatives back from the lab, there's a hybrid process I use (that involves Dwayne's Photo) to get the images onto a 35mm slide. It doesn't have the full look of 126, but it's what's available, so I use it.

I'm actually excited about Ferrania introducing an E6 emulsion in 1st quarter 2014, because it gives us analog photographers who use primarily E6 another option besides Fuji. I am hoping that Ferrania and Fuji have scaled their machinery according to the market so that E6 will be with us for some time yet.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    I see the new E6 film Ferrania will be introducing will be a re-engineered version of the Scotch Chrome 100 previously produced by the IMATION company. Anybody have any experience with this film?

See data sheet at http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/...=24307&start=0

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji's E6 is good but they discontinued my two favorites, Astia and Provia 400X. At least I can still buy remaining stock of the later even if it is quite expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    I desperately want astia back. Provia is but a sad alternative to it. Way too blue. 400x is/was good but a little too grainy to justify the 15 per roll for me.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    And as far as doomsday scenarios are concerned, if I'm not mistaken there have been more new or reconstituted film manufacturing companies started in the last few years than there have been film companies that have gone out of business for good. Something to think about...
    I am sorry to say, but you are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see: Agfa Photo, Labaphot, Mimosa, Perutz, Kentmere, Forte, Svema, Ferrania, Fotokemika, Sterling (Allied Photographic India Ltd), Guillemoint,... went out of bussiness for good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I see the new E6 film Ferrania will be introducing will be a re-engineered version of the Scotch Chrome 100 previously produced by the IMATION company. Anybody have any experience with this film?

See data sheet at http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/...=24307&start=0
    Search here on APUG (or possibly LFF), the representative from Ferrania posted a thread (which I follow to many to find now lol) about 3-5 months ago about their new E-6, as I recall the comment was that it was based on the same technology as a starting point, but that it would be different and BETTER than scotchchrome, and those who had used scotchrome said that they were glad it would be better as they weren't quite satisfied with it.

This is my recollection but you should find the thread.

It was also mentioned they were considering many formats, including possible runs of 46mm for re-spooling 127, but that was simply a "that might be doable" response, they did put thought into it, saying they couldn't make the rolls/spools, it wouldn't be profitable, but they could cut long rolls of film AND BACKING PAPER and sell that as a set for home users to roll themselves. Again, this is my recollection... however ....ADOX? I think it was their rep, was also posting about their new films and new small scale facility that was designed to be produce upon request any size, so not sure if my brain is crossing thread discussions...

Anyway all GOOD news for film, but obviously we want to keep Kodak alive.

As a testament to the quality of Kodak, I just sold 2 pieces of NYC urban landscape that was shot on Kodak 70mm aerial film expired in the 1960's ...

Here's one...as much as they frustrate me, they produce a good product....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kodak-NYC-2400004.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	76690
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i hear you ken ... but
    whenever there is a thread about kodak( since ummm 7 years ago maybe 10 ) or alaris now
    2/3 of any thread is venom spewed about how kodak screwed everyone over, they don't make this or that --- and alaris is nothing but the same bs ...

YADDA YADDA YADDA

i almost put threads that have kodak and/or alaris in the title on ignore ...

Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Let's see: Agfa Photo, Labaphot, Mimosa, Perutz, Kentmere, Forte, Svema, Ferrania, Fotokemika, Sterling (Allied Photographic India Ltd), Guillemoint,... went out of bussiness for good.
    you forgot j&c, and the cutting-down, packing, shipping of ANY SIZE asa100/400 SHEET FILM ( 2x3 - 20x24+ ) done by photowarehouse.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin