Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,570   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me the most important statement is:

That’'s [create demand] what we have to try to do.
    Though in the whole interview there is no further detail on this. Rather: Business as usual.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting read, the important thing is that their business is film, not 'strategic interests in digital workflows' or other BS. All film users need is a company that wants to make film, without any of the extraneous rubbish that caused Kodak to fail in the first place.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mean, why would you by factories and and a market share for a declining, without new ideas for it? Well, if it was cheap, then one still could earn profits during the resting time.
    But KPP payed a fortune for those assets.
    It rather seems they took what they still could get before getting nothing.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Interesting read, the important thing is that their business is film, not 'strategic interests in digital workflows' or other BS. All film users need is a company that wants to make film, without any of the extraneous rubbish that caused Kodak to fail in the first place.
    KPP bought three components from Kodak: digital documentation, photochemical plants (manufacturing RA-4 paper at the moment) and the product range of still-films. (Alaris does not even own any intellecectual property other than brand names for the latter share.)

With that RA-4 business they are completely dependent on "strategic interests in digital workflow".
    Last edited by AgX; 11-07-2013 at 06:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I mean, why would you by factories and and a market share for a declining, without new ideas for it? Well, if it was cheap, then one still could earn profits during the resting time.
    But KPP payed a fortune for those assets.
    Right. Buy Kodak's film business or get nothing. That's the answer to your question.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lars Fiedler: You know that very famous picture by Steve McCurry, the Afghan Girl on Kodachrome and then he shot her however many years later and he shot her on E100G. And he loved it, probably more than Kodachrome.
    Yeah, thanks for killing E100G as well. Would he loved it even more if it was re-shot on Portra?

But I will not complain. Its good to hear C-41 is alive and kicking. I like Portra alot, its really nice. For an C-41, that is.

Christian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All Kodak lies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I thought Fiedler's third answer addressed that: They're "starting almost from scratch", without the burden of Kodak's debts or additional business lines, and hopefully with a bit more flexibility to scale production (but I'm speculating about that last bit). As everyone has pointed out for years, Kodak's film business, taken in isolation, was profitable on paper---it seems plausible that KA's first big "new" idea is to run the existing business in a setting where it can turn its profit without all those extra qualifiers.

I expect that's true as well.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    he just sounds like a typical marketeering asshat flunky. (lomo? wtf... obviously not a serious film user himself) No new info here. Clearly he has no technical insight. The whole "keep the remaining portfolio" party line is lame. The real reason that is the case is they have neither the talent nor resources to do anything else. They (alaris) couldn't develop a new emulsion if they wanted to. Hopefully EK will continue to do some R&D on film, if even only for their motion picture stuff, as the benefits may flow into the still-photography film products. That's the only hope since alaris is clearly only a bunch of sales hacks. But, at least the film is still available, fortunately. If they (alaris) actually wanted to do something other than pay lip service to their marketeering nonsense, they would start packaging Endura in cut sheets again. They actually have a chance of making that happen as they own the RA-4 plant.

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin