Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,904   Online: 929

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I know that the camera is pretty good. But as a phone it's not good enough, so they're not selling any.
    They put that 41 megapixel camera on it to lure people to buy it, because it lacks in every other feature that makes it a good phone.
    huh ..
    doesn't make calls?
    or have reception?

or do all the gee-wizz stuff phones are "supposed to do" these days ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Explain then, the luke warm offerings that we have seen over the last few years from Apple?

What Apple are good at is creating hype and buzz over what they sell. They know how to create desire and how to be the "cool kid" on the block. Some days I think if apple offered two tins and a string, people would still line up to buy it.

Way, way off topic....sorry.
    Look at the demand for their products! Most young people want iPhones, iPods, iPads... It's at the top of wish lists, and in surveys among young people it's all about Apple! They're laughing all the way to the bank.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    huh ..
    doesn't make calls?
    or have reception?

Functionality isn't there. Sure it makes calls, but as a 'smart phone' it's based on Windows operating system, which has almost no support in the market, which means there's a lot less to choose from from an app standpoint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Sometimes it's better to do it right than to be first. Apple understands this.
    I dont know what that means.
    I still cant use bluetooth to transfer files to them. They lock you into their platform.
    And Bluetooth has been around for donkeys years!

90% of Apple's success is marketing and people reading tech blogs written by amateurs and unquestioning fans.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Sometimes it's better to do it right than to be first.
    If you are developing weapons control software for fighters and bombers, yes. If you are developing avionics control systems for space shuttles, yes. If you are developing embedded pacemaker systems for fragile human hearts, yes. And if you programmed the system software onboard the now-interstellar Voyagers 1 & 2, absolutely yes.

But if you are developing for throw-away, consumer-level, introduced-today-obsolete-tomorrow entertainment gadgets, including smart phones? Or any other end-user commercial software product targeted to the business and/or home mass markets? After almost 30 years as a developer doing software engineering in this industry I'm here to say, no. Absolutely not. That's not how the industry works today.

These days both hardware and the software that drives it are—with malice aforethought—designed, engineered, marketed, and discarded (for subsequent upgraded versions) on very, very short, artificially constrained and truncated life cycles. And a great deal of effort and money has been expended over the years to condition the customer base to accept and expect this model.

Would you like to know how many times in the past 30 years I've been party to engineering efforts in past companies where the design goals specifically stated that we were to cripple or leave out product features that everyone knew the customer base wanted? Can you guess why? Because you never leave money on the table. And dribbling out intentionally incomplete implementations over several upgrade cycles generates more money in the long run.

Same goes for hardware and software bug fixes. Generally speaking, one doesn't intentionally code bugs into a product. Although I have been asked to do that before. But when the inevitable unintentional ones begin to roll in after each upgrade release, if it's not a critical (show-stopper) error almost the very next question is always, can we put this off until the next major upgrade? The reasoning is for it to become yet another inducement to force the customer base to give the company more money down the road. Because you never leave money on the table.

In today's industry it's all about market share, not long-term quality, where the repeat consumable IS the product itself. The winners are those who get to the party early with the first-est (thus guaranteeing the greatest number of repeat purchasing cycles), not those that arrive later with the best-est (thus guaranteeing happy customers who have no reason to repeat the purchasing cycle even once more).

An early implementation of an incomplete and/or buggy product, but one with a lot of buzz, will generate far more money overall than a carefully crafted, rock-solid implementation of the second or third bug-free generation of a competing product introduced 12 or 18 months later. Guaranteed.

I know it's ugly, but sadly that is the way it is...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    aapl's stock price has been stuck on a plateau for some time now. That's all I care to know. And I'm not inspired to buy any of it. This cell phone and ipad bit is bound to succumb to market saturation at some point. It stands to reason. About the only thing left is an app for a time machine, a cure for cancer, and 3 wishes. As for cell phone being a camera, then why not save your money on the phone and service, and just look at everything with your eyes, remember it in your brain, and you won't even have to save it on some hard drive or cd. The point being, very few electronic photos ever actually get printed on an actual piece of paper. Therefor, they are not pictures or photographs at all. Cellphone disqualified from contention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    huh ..
    doesn't make calls?
    or have reception?

The phone system and ecosystem isnt mature enough yet.
    Typing is a pain if used to gesture input, or needing to type fast.

I see it eventually taking over from both Google and Apple, and being *the* leader. What happens in the enterprise segment would be interesting to see - that would be the bread and butter for MS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    90% of Apple's success is marketing and people reading tech blogs written by amateurs and unquestioning fans.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
    maybe that is true for their phones, but i have had and used apple computers since 1986. sometimes i had
    to use a dos based IBMPC but that was back in the early-mid 1980s ... never wanted to use a pc based computer
    seeing friends here in the states and abroad had nothing but problems with the OS and viruses &c ..

but the lap/desktop/pad is as far as i would go, not really planning on buying a telephonicecomputer system
    cause it seems like with technology at people's fingertips people are forgetting simple things like
    common courtesy, not being rude, and other simple tasks like figuring out 15% gratuity or using a dictionary ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's often suggested that Apple computers are some how not as vulnerable to virus attacks, etc. I question that. They are such a small percentage of the commercial computing environment (think money or access to info that will lead to money) there just is no incentive to focus on them.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    It's often suggested that Apple computers are some how not as vulnerable to virus attacks, etc. I question that. They are such a small percentage of the commercial computing environment (think money or access to info that will lead to money) there just is no incentive to focus on them.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/thestree...in-pc-decline/

Not that small, and it looks like they have a plan.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin