Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,388   Online: 1087

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    and all the smartphone pictures people take are filtered to look like film anyway so...
    The yellowed ones with scratches crack me up most.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree... (with post title).
    Matter of time perhaps that the only people that have DSLR's are the ones attempting any sort of living from it or passionate people.
    I muse off and on that the only way to make a mark in the portrait business is stop doing what everyone is doing now..."photojournalist style... run and gun"
    I like it when someone say's can you shoot photojournalist style and I say... I actually have a degree in photojournalism.
    And go back to tripod, careful lighting, and perhaps.... film... or at least MF digi.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everyone who truly enjoys imaging as a form of human communication really has nothing against either film or digital images. Or any other type of images. In the end they're all good.

The problem isn't the other technology, it's the venue. By definition and design, that other technology is simply out of place here. And that's not some difficult to interpret or discern, or even obscure, rule. The very first letter in the acronym representing the very first word of the name of the site itself makes it abundantly clear. And everyone here knows this in advance of signing up.

Those who come here to gleefully continue stirring the pot do not do so from a position of ignorance.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    The last word for me (not the forum), is that photography with film is an excellent escape from winding back up on the computer for every dmn thing we do in life any more. Seems like all roads lead to a computer any more. Soon we will have digital bullets for guns, digital chainsaws to cut down trees for firewood. And for my Dad, a blasted digital golf club. I LIKE taking pictures, I Like splitting firewood. I Don't like golf, but that's 2 out of 3 where I wouldn't need a dadburn computer to do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    OS X is POSIX under the hood now, so that analogy should apply pretty strongly.
    It's not really that Macs are so virus-resistant, it's that Windows has always been *incredibly* insecure, and M$ has consistently been willing to deliver features that were flashy but vulnerable. There are technical reasons why the underpinnings of Windows were originally flaky about security; Macs used to be just as insecure as anything else back in the 80s (when security was for mainframes), but Apple got out from under those legacy issues when they introduced OS X.
    -NT
    OS X is actually a descendant of Unix, having a strong influence from BSD (via something else Jobs did before rejoining Apple). Windows had implemented some POSIX compliance at one time. I'm not sure if it's still lurking in there, but it was back in XP. Being POSIX compliant, however, doesn't necessarily have to do with security.

Still, if windows is less secure than it should or could be, that makes other systems less "vulnerable" in comparison. Plus, the basic structure of the 'Nixes is more secure in general.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    The last word for me (not the forum), is that photography with film is an excellent escape from winding back up on the computer for every dmn thing we do in life any more. Seems like all roads lead to a computer any more. Soon we will have digital bullets for guns, digital chainsaws to cut down trees for firewood. And for my Dad, a blasted digital golf club. I LIKE taking pictures, I Like splitting firewood. I Don't like golf, but that's 2 out of 3 where I wouldn't need a dadburn computer to do it.

+1 Very well said ^^^^^^^

--so many ask me why I worked 10 years on my sailboat... It was just the time in the shop/and dreaming of the first sail, that perhaps for me is better than actually sailing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Soon we will have digital bullets for guns...
    That one is probably a good idea.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We already have digital brushes, digital tissue, and digital fluid. I saw them yesterday in a digital lens cleaning kit at the store. I was looking for a cleaning kit for my analog lenses, including my obsolete, analog, non-Google eyeglasses. But since all I could find was digital cleaning supplies, I passed and did not purchase anything.

The Law of Unintended Consequences at work. Marketers of "digital" take note.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    OS X is actually a descendant of Unix, having a strong influence from BSD (via something else Jobs did before rejoining Apple). Windows had implemented some POSIX compliance at one time. I'm not sure if it's still lurking in there, but it was back in XP. Being POSIX compliant, however, doesn't necessarily have to do with security.

Still, if windows is less secure than it should or could be, that makes other systems less "vulnerable" in comparison. Plus, the basic structure of the 'Nixes is more secure in general.

It wasn't about what the underlying OS was. It was -and is -about vulnerability to backdoors and exploits.

Very easy to talk of viruses but most of them exploit existing unpatched vulnerabilities. Anyone looking at security bulletins week-in and week-out will see enough of them on many Unix based environments as well.

There's enough misinformation around. Specific products existed and exist because of the way Root id gives permissions to execute anything on *ix platform. Windows security has actually improved and bypassed *ix systems because of its granularity levels.

The vulnerability with Windows that you mostly see is with the applications developed on it. Where application or OS security is given such short shrift, it's hilarious -unless you're facing the brunt of it.
    If the same developers developed on *ix platform expect no different.
    People are people.

/Last post on this topic, we've veered fairly off-topic. :-D
    /Have had it with arguments on windows being less secure and *ix being more. This FUD debate is just the worst thing for information security.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin