Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,218   Online: 776

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Smartphones can't hurt any real camera sales - not until they learn how to get the image upside-down and develop a digital darkcloth to go
    with it !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Ohhhh, who gives a shit. Let's just talk about photography.
    this is talking about photography, it dont have to make everyones shutters fire...........or sound like one has fired. :-) Talk is good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Sure you do, if you want film pictures! About 6 months ago my sister-in-law got married. They hired a professional photographer, who brought a DSLR with one of those long lenses that screams "pro photographer." There were several others there shooting pictures with DSLRs and even digital P&S. I was the only one shooting film. Because I was shooting film, I decided to also shoot B&W, since everyone else was shooting color. I loaded up a roll of Tri-X, and her wedding present from me was 37 B&W pictures of her wedding and reception, negatives, and a lab scan of the negatives on CD. She really liked that these were B&W and so different from what everyone else was doing.

Ilford has a line of disposable cameras loaded with HP5+ and XP2 Super. You can get them from B&H for about a ten-spot.
    Well, when I said that I was trying to be funny, besides, some of the people wouldn't know the quality difference. We do obviously.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sounds good to me ..
    and when the solar flare screws everything up
    my k1000 will be worth thousands ...
    i can't even imagine how much my crappy box cameras will be worht .
    If that happens, taking photos for prosperity will be very much the last thing on my mind. And if Hollywood has taught me anything, it will only effect the US, so I should be ok

Shooter
    Multi Format
    soon we will see a smartphone nikon/canon brand...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I "ain't got no" cellphone. I live dangerously. Could break down in my truck in the middle of the countryside at night and be genuinely stuck. Just like the old days.
    Same here. Don't have one, don't want one, not going to get one.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    As a student it's quite essential to have one and be in facebook. If not, may god help you making group essays and work!
    Certainly smarthpones have pros and cons, it's a very useful tool just that it's dangerous to be "sucked by it". I read a complain on a local magazine written by a driver that almost ran over a mom with two children.
    The fact is that the mom was crossing the street without looking and sucked by the phone, ignoring her children!

For a layman point of view, If I get OK quality, have it all the time and it's very easy to share. Of course it will be more used and better than a camera. You know, on most cameras you must take the files to a computer to be uploaded (!) us the kids don't do that anymore!
    As of serious they must mean the ubiquitous Canikon DSLR's.

Might sound a bit satiric but it's not, that's the situation as I can see.

And of course, it won't replace at all any of my cameras. However, it documents quite a lot more because it's unwieldy to carry them daily (must buy a compact prime for the mirrorless) and very unconspicious while shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Same here. Don't have one, don't want one, not going to get one.
    Same here as well.

It's a lifestyle choice made many years ago in an airport bathroom after a long flight. As Ken was washing up he was treated to the hideous spectacle of a businessman sitting in one of the public stalls, taking care of business while he was taking care of business. The fellow literally closed a business deal over his cell phone with his pants down around his ankles.

You will never know how fervently Ken wanted to step into the adjoining stall and flush one of those very loud toilets. God would have then worked His business magic in mysterious ways for sure.

Ken vowed right then and there that he would NEVER subject himself to the indignities of being chained to one of those damned things. And decades later, he still hasn't.

Because of that decision, Ken has successfully evolved into the full and complete human being that God intended for him to become, and not some weak-at-the-knees whiner who can't decide which foot to place in front of the other without consulting a 3-inch screen every 5 seconds. And God forbid that whiner tries to lay his hands on some Wrigleys at the same time...

(Holy cow. Ken's on a roll tonight. Did he just write all of that? Yikes. Here comes the tar and pitchfork mobs. Better log off before he finds himself checking out birdfeeders up close from the wrong end of a rope.)

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    General observation - smartphones are getting cameras into people's hands -those who probably didn't think they could afford one to document their daily lives earlier -which means the poorest also. (some Chinese sets dumped here sell for equivalent of 5USD - almost a meal at a decent restaurant)
    As and when these folks upgrade -they'd definitely want a camera -whether P&S or DSLR.
    I have seen the 'pull' of ' owning a DSLR' or the 'me-too' brigade being a lot firmer than advise on buying a camera that best suits the need - like Micro 4/3rds, for example.
    So, even as Nokia touts their BS 41mpx camera, and people buy into it - I don't think smartphones will replace DSLR sales - in the emerging markets - for a while. Not till 2020. After that God knows what''ll happen!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Ken vowed right then and there that he would NEVER subject himself to the indignities of being chained to one of those damned things
    They seem to be remote control devices for humans.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin