Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,374   Online: 995

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If companies were aware of the market trends, why do we see traditional camera manufacturers in trouble, and no preemptive action to capitalize on the current situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I don't think any of us have been surprised how things developed. Small cameras were in play from the start. See the 1996 Nikon Coolpix 100 info at http://www.nikonweb.com/coolpix100/ Nikon had a camera like that that even had an LCD back that could be written on with a stylus.

It the old "the best camera is the one you have with you when a photo opportunity develops" thing. I used to always carry an Olympus Stylus XA with me; now I carry an Apple iPod touch. (The touch camera isn't as good as an iPhone, but it's plenty good for casual shooting.)

If there is any surprise (at least for me), it is the speed that internet sharing took off.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ice-Racer - those eye-controlled eyeglass digi cameras, replete with full computer interface, already exist! They were developed for combat pilots, are now being tested for use by the severely handicapped, and will inevitably filter their way into the consumer market. ... But with
    staggering sums of money being deployed to market and advertise the latest gotta-have consumer toys, this will be the factor in what is
    popular today, obsolete tomorrow. The whole industry is financial dependent upon rapid turnover - making people think they just gotta gotta
    have it to be happy. The underpinnings of any modern idiocracy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    May be cell phones being sold from Europe and US brands more everyday because japan is living a hard times since early 90s. I read an report last night , japan was the owner of %75 of electronics market at 1994 and they dropped to around % 6.

Report tells these ,

Japan is the master of production processes
    And their products rely on hardware more.
    They have no software writing crowds
    And their products dont rely on third party softwares.

About usa ,

US has invented a process that their hardware open to third parties codes.
    Far away more code writers than Japan.

And report tells that japan started to send low technology factories to China and China factory people was more active than us based japanese factories and finally all these factories felt to the hands of china.

This opens a question , there are hundreds of us based factories in china , will they take them from americans ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    If companies were aware of the market trends, why do we see traditional camera manufacturers in trouble, and no preemptive action to capitalize on the current situation?
    Because they are "caught between a rock and a hard place". What choices do they have? Try to enter the smartphone marketplace? Good luck to that.

Luckily, both Nikon and Canon have strong non-photographic businesses.
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 11-14-2013 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Because they are "caught between a rock and a hard place". What choices do they have? Try to enter the smartphone marketplace? Good luck to that.
    A phone is an UHF chip, a signal processor and an LCD, whereas a digital camera is a sensor chip, a signal processor and an LCD ... And we all know a photographic film company that suddenly made printers (and not even bad ones from what I read), and a web search and advertising company that suddenly made a smart phone OS (>80% market share).

Given that one of the most popular smart phones today is not made by a traditional phone maker, but by a desktop computer and software company, I don't see a reason why a camera had to be added to a phone instead of the other way round.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    May be cell phones being sold from Europe and US brands more everyday because japan is living a hard times since early 90s. I read an report last night , japan was the owner of %75 of electronics market at 1994 and they dropped to around % 6.
    I'm in the mobile phone business. The Japanese manufacturers have for a long time had a large business in low-end handsets for Asian markets, and in the last few years they've lost that business almost totally to Chinese competitors. At the same time, the high end of the market has consolidated around Apple and Samsung, and most of the Japanese handset manufacturing business has been squeezed out of existence in the middle.

This opens a question , there are hundreds of us based factories in china , will they take them from americans ?
    The ones I know about aren't "US-based", they're Chinese contract manufacturers with foreign customers. Some, like Foxconn, are actually based in Taiwan but have their big factories on the mainland---I don't know how that works politically, but I bet it's complicated. Certainly China would love to take over the places of giant consumer brands like Apple and Samsung, but they can't do that by kicking the brands out; instead they're working on competing up from below with the Chinese domestic brands like Huawei.

To stay vaguely on-topic, I don't have the sense that the Chinese electronics industry is very excited about advancing camera technology. There isn't a big cultural history of art photography in China, which may or may not be the reason. It may also be seen as an area where the existing technology is good enough for consumer purposes, so the payoff for improving it is low.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I read japan is producing the most complicated phones only for japanese market and they are ultra expensive and does not match with any international system. They do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    .. I don't see a reason why a camera had to be added to a phone instead of the other way round.
    Wouldn't want to hold my F100 or D600 to my ear.. at least not for to long.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Wouldn't want to hold my F100 or D600 to my ear.. at least not for to long.
    Not quite, but have you soon the Samsung S4 zoom:

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...camera/s4zoom/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't pretend to have the solution to the problems that the established companies that sell digital cameras face. If I did my life would be significantly different.

I do work in a combined engineering / marketing role at a prominent technology company, and understand that if you are aware of macro trends in society you had better ride the trends or they will ride you!
    One amazingly huge trend is the portable device market. A similar situation is how simple iPods with credit card sweepers and portable receipt printers are making a huge impact in check-out registers. What is Fujitsu and others going to do to buck that trend? That's for them to figure out.

There must be intellectual property that can be used in the new adjacent markets that have emerged around traditional cameras. There's a lens, a sensor, electronics to control focus, exposure, and other critical parameters that are common from one type of platform to the next, knowledge of how to make a camera good, inexpensive, fast, efficient, whatever. If you can't capitalize on that, you fight an uphill battle and will find yourself losing ground. I'm glad to hear that both Canon and Nikon have good diverse businesses.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin