Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,292   Online: 930

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Wouldn't want to hold my F100 or D600 to my ear.. at least not for to long.
    The vast majority of cameras sold during the last 30 years were not big SLRs but of the P&S type, some if which were smaller than common mobile phones.

Let's remember that the first camera&phone combo that people wanted to use was not built by a camera or a phone maker, but by a computer maker that happened to be led by a great visionary.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Let's remember that the first camera&phone combo that people wanted to use was not built by a camera or a phone maker, but by a computer maker that happened to be led by a great visionary.
    Nokia?

Seriously, the iPhone wasn't a significant player in the camera market until very late in the game; our Finnish friends were the biggest-selling camera manufacturer in the world before there even *was* an iPhone.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Nokia?

Seriously, the iPhone wasn't a significant player in the camera market until very late in the game; our Finnish friends were the biggest-selling camera manufacturer in the world before there even *was* an iPhone.

-NT
    Ericsson too, which Sony bought. And now you never hear of them. Both the Nokia and the Ericsson stocks were traded on the Swedish stock exchange back in the day and were VERY solid investments.
    That was in the 90s.

Today it looks like Ericsson is into mobile broadband as a service, and telecommunication. The Lumia range from Nokia isn't doing so well.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The vast majority of cameras sold during the last 30 years were not big SLRs but of the P&S type, some if which were smaller than common mobile phones.

You took my comment w-a-y too seriously.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Or an ideas thief who was good at marketing. I find it ironic that on local tv last night, ghey showed the episode of futurama where they all buy "eyephones". If you havd not seen it before, watch it. A good summary of the whole smartphone + social media explosion.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I... if you are aware of macro trends in society you had better ride the trends or they will ride you!
    When Apple brought out the first iPod touch (without a camera) in 2007 Kodak worked on a prototype snap-on digital camera for the touch. Luckily they didn't try to go further because Apple quickly brought out a touch model with a built-in camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Sometimes it's better to do it right than to be first. Apple understands this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Sometimes it's better to do it right than to be first. Apple understands this.
    Explain then, the luke warm offerings that we have seen over the last few years from Apple?

What Apple are good at is creating hype and buzz over what they sell. They know how to create desire and how to be the "cool kid" on the block. Some days I think if apple offered two tins and a string, people would still line up to buy it.

Way, way off topic....sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Ericsson too, which Sony bought. And now you never hear of them. Both the Nokia and the Ericsson stocks were traded on the Swedish stock exchange back in the day and were VERY solid investments.
    That was in the 90s.

Today it looks like Ericsson is into mobile broadband as a service, and telecommunication. The Lumia range from Nokia isn't doing so well.
    but the cameras on the lumina phones are beautiful ... huge image density ...
    and the images i have seen that the phone can make are pretty beautiful ...
    if i had the 600$ and the money to support the data plan LOL
    i would have bought the 29$ cheapo flip phone i just bought

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    but the cameras on the lumina phones are beautiful ... huge image density ...
    and the images i have seen that the phone can make are pretty beautiful ...
    if i had the 600$ and the money to support the data plan LOL
    i would have bought the 29$ cheapo flip phone i just bought
    I know that the camera is pretty good. But as a phone it's not good enough, so they're not selling any.
    They put that 41 megapixel camera on it to lure people to buy it, because it lacks in every other feature that makes it a good phone.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin