Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,606   Online: 810

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

"Smartphones Destroying High-End Camera Sales"

"Smartphones with powerful cameras have begun to take a toll on sales of expensive, dSLR cameras."

A future of only film cameras and smartphone cameras? Poetic justice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and all the smartphone pictures people take are filtered to look like film anyway so...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm
    According to this, next week we'll see wedding photographers out there shooting the happy occasion with their iPhone. Oh, and it seems that all interchangeable lens cameras are dslr's. One thing that the digital age has definitely produced is a whole lotta people who have no idea what they're talking, (or writing), about.
    Thank goodness I don't much care anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Naples View Post
    "Smartphones with powerful cameras have begun to take a toll on sales of expensive, dSLR cameras."

While it's not impossible it's a lot harder to make smartphone shoots film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    According to this, next week we'll see wedding photographers out there shooting the happy occasion with their iPhone. Oh, and it seems that all interchangeable lens cameras are dslr's. One thing that the digital age has definitely produced is a whole lotta people who have no idea what they're talking, (or writing), about.
    Thank goodness I don't much care anyway.
    I am with you on this! There are a whole lot of cameras out there which are called either SLR or rangefinder but don't have an SLR viewfinder nor a rangefinder.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ohhhh, who gives a shit. Let's just talk about photography.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I am with you on this! There are a whole lot of cameras out there which are called either SLR or rangefinder but don't have an SLR viewfinder nor a rangefinder.
    Please cite sources.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A future of only film cameras and smartphone cameras?
    I guess rather digital system-cameras ending next to film cameras on those used stuff shelves...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Ohhhh, who gives a shit. Let's just talk about photography.

Alas, camera owners far out number photographers ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "We are seeing tough figures at the moment, but I don't think this will last forever,'' said Nikon Chief Financial Officer Junichi Itoh. "There still is potential demand, and I think China is the key."
    Wow, I wish I could lay my hands on original quote, but substitute "Kodak" for "Nikon" in this quote and some one at Kodak said this same exact thing about 15 years ago. Make no mistake - it's the death knell.

"We are reinforcing and expanding our commitment to 35mm film and cameras in emerging markets because of the significant demand from China, India, Eastern Europe and Latin America," Masson said. "The 35 mm film industry continues to grow at double-digit rates in those markets."

-- Kodak Press Release from January 13, 2004
    http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/pres...40113-01.shtml
    We all have seen how well that worked out. Oops! (Not the quote I was thinking of but close enough)

And then this by the Associated Press published August 26, 2005.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) - Eastman Kodak Co., battling a steep drop in demand for photographic film and paper, is scaling back film manufacturing in China and closing various businesses in Rochester and West Virginia, eliminating about 1,000 jobs.
    <snip>
    It said manufacturing of consumer film products will be cut back in Xiamen, China.

I found it here: http://lubbockonline.com/stories/082...82605015.shtml
    Actually, for the whole article, where it says "dSLR" put "film" and where it says "smartphone" put "dSLR" and it sounds like any article on how digital SLRs are going to "win" from 10-12 years ago.

"Taking photos with smartphones and editing them with apps is like cooking with cheap ingredients and a lot of artificial flavoring," said Canon spokesman Takafumi Hongo to The Journal. "Using interchangeable cameras is like slow food cooked with natural, genuine ingredients."
    Yep, heard that too!

Next Canon and Nikon will be "focusing on core competencies." That's like putting you in charge of the United Way campaign at work. Sorry guys!

See below
    |
    |
    |
    V
    Last edited by kb3lms; 11-10-2013 at 03:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin