Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,131   Online: 905

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Regardless of what you do with it, I'm just saying I'd personally prefer to get 3 400 foot rolls, for instance, instead of a single 1000 foot roll, to make handling it easier. Unless for some reason you needed or could only afford precisely 1000 feet.

Duncan
    Since it's movie film, their main source of income our movie productions that purchase lots and lots of rolls, The only reason they even need the short rolls (400') is for using on handheld cameras because the thousand foot rolls are heavier (not just the role but the whole entire case that the film has to be put into) and so it's more difficult for the camera operator to handhold so much weight so they have smaller roles for that purpose as well as if there's a space issue and they need the camera to be smaller to fit.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Where are you sourcing this data from?
    Observation, I work on movie sets
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Where are you sourcing this data from?
    FWIW, the gun cameras on my Volkswagen don't use anywhere near that much. But I travel back roads.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    FWIW, the gun cameras on my Volkswagen don't use anywhere near that much. But I travel back roads.

s-a
    Alright will now you have to prove that by backing it up with vehicle pictures, cause that just sounds too awesome to not be able to see!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Well definitely they go through probably I would say easily 30-60 1000 feet rolls in a single day on some projects.

If the price is the same, I would buy the 1000' roll and split it up and sell off the stuff I didn't need, you could end up with free film!

but stone, you are talking about repurposing this movie film for still film cameras ..
    its kind of a no brainer the movie industry uses/used 1000' and 400 foot rolls.
    100 feet is like ummm 3 minutes of images if you run it ...
    its obvious that a movie camera uses more film than a 35mm film cassette ... but it is a PITA to deal with 1000 feet of film in the dark pulling it off a spool
    to wind it in a 35mm still camera film cassette. i used to buy large spools of plus x and pan x aero film and cut it down to 8x10 &c
    and cutting off of a large spool was a pain .. but certainly the industry the film was meant for, used 1000' of film all the time

there is a thread here this past week with umut who has bought a 8mm camera and he is getting 400 or 500 or 1000 feet of film that he needs to respool onto his
    25 foot spools which will be equally a pain in the neck ...

getting bulk is a great deal but the hassle isn't for everyone ...
    and thanks for prodding me to buy some of the 5222, can't afford 4x5 film at 2$ / sheet, wish i could but its not in the stars at the moment ...
    unless of course you want to buy me 4 boxes for a gift lol
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    but stone, you are talking about repurposing this movie film for still film cameras ..
    its kind of a no brainer the movie industry uses/used 1000' and 400 foot rolls.
    100 feet is like ummm 3 minutes of images if you run it ...
    its obvious that a movie camera uses more film than a 35mm film cassette ... but it is a PITA to deal with 1000 feet of film in the dark pulling it off a spool
    to wind it in a 35mm still camera film cassette. i used to buy large spools of plus x and pan x aero film and cut it down to 8x10 &c
    and cutting off of a large spool was a pain .. but certainly the industry the film was meant for, used 1000' of film all the time

there is a thread here this past week with umut who has bought a 8mm camera and he is getting 400 or 500 or 1000 feet of film that he needs to respool onto his
    25 foot spools which will be equally a pain in the neck ...

getting bulk is a great deal but the hassle isn't for everyone ...
    and thanks for prodding me to buy some of the 5222, can't afford 4x5 film at 2$ / sheet, wish i could but its not in the stars at the moment ...
    unless of course you want to buy me 4 boxes for a gift lol
    Lol.

I know this is all talk because I certainly haven't done it, but it seems like a no-brainer to me to take Alden bulk loader, Cut off the spool area with a plastic cutting saw, then take a Movie Can, it doesn't matter if it's a 400' or 1000' you cut out just a part of the side of it, enough space that film cans pool out of it, and add edge protection so it doesn't scratch the film of course. Then attach the can to the cut off portion of the loader and feed the film through the gate like you would the normal loader...

To pretty basic concept it's just a round disc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    100 feet of film is between 15 and 20 arm lengths of film ...
    (depending on how tall you are )
    you'd have to pull it off the main spool, and wind it onto a core
    which pain in the neck part the cutting the cutting the film
    and stuffing it into the bulk loader, well that is something
    the talented dog on the disney channel can do, seeing he can type ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    100 feet of film is between 15 and 20 arm lengths of film ...
    (depending on how tall you are )
    you'd have to pull it off the main spool, and wind it onto a core
    which pain in the neck part the cutting the cutting the film
    and stuffing it into the bulk loader, well that is something
    the talented dog on the disney channel can do, seeing he can type ...
    What are you talking about?

I'm saying that you leave the film in the can you don't take it out, don't re-spool anything, you attach it to the bulk loader and run it through the bulk loader permanently attached...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Lol.

I know this is all talk because I certainly haven't done it, but it seems like a no-brainer to me to take Alden bulk loader, Cut off the spool area with a plastic cutting saw, then take a Movie Can, it doesn't matter if it's a 400' or 1000' you cut out just a part of the side of it, enough space that film cans pool out of it, and add edge protection so it doesn't scratch the film of course. Then attach the can to the cut off portion of the loader and feed the film through the gate like you would the normal loader...

To pretty basic concept it's just a round disc...
    In the normal loader, the forces pull against the core, which is held by the post in the middle of the loader compartment. In your scheme, the forces pull against the roll of film until it hits the edge of the can, and then rub it as you pull out film! Not to mention that the loader is wider than the can, and a few other mechanical/logistical puzzles to solve. No, instead of the original can, you need something like half of a Mitchell 400' magazine to glue your cut-off Alden loader mechanism onto...

Maybe someone needs to convince Alden (do they even still exist?) to make the "Alden 400" and the "Alden 1000" models of loaders!

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You guys are over thinking it. I never use a loader. Just go into a darkroom with your cassettes and load up. Just did 8 rolls yesterday at lunch. Still I think it would be great if KA would do factory loads for those who want to try some of these films and don't want even 100ft. to start. It would be so easy for them to do it, or at least it seems like it would be.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin