Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,689   Online: 856

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As to the choice of photographers who use "like" as a comma and "awesome" for just about any other adjective, think of who this video is aimed at. Old farts like me don't need to be sold on film.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe Gregory Crewdson shoots 8x10 colour film but then the shots are higly manipulated. Gursky works in a similary fashion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    I believe Gregory Crewdson shoots 8x10 colour film but then the shots are higly manipulated. Gursky works in a similary fashion.
    Ah, that might be the case. Certainly for some work - maybe advertising- I've seen a video of him using a digital back.

Have conflicting feelings about Crewdson, but find myself coming back to his pictures nevertheless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    well can you help me out here by naming a few?

Photographers who use hybrid processes.

http://www.joecornishgallery.co.uk

http://www.clayharmon.com/

http://sandykingphotography.com/
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a nice enough video but conceptually shallow. If they'd had me on the production team I would have insisted the challenge is not merely about film or the "look". More is a stake.

Film is a common option in photography but not really at the heart of things. Hey, some people expose paper in a camera. Others do wet-plate. The unique and decisive thing about photography is the making of pictures out of light sensitive materials. Platinotypes, ambrotypes, gelatin-silver pictures...the list goes on... are just as much part of photography as exposing film. Without this insistence we may end up with people taking digital pictures of photographs (by camera or scanner) and displaying the re-calculated digital results as photographs. That's a deceit I won't buy if I'm going to stand up for photography.

As for the "look", what happens when electronic picture making can replicate exactly the appearance (just the appearance not the substance) of a photograph? Do I abandon photography and it's special physical and causal relationship to subject matter? No way! I'm not going to buy "looks like means same as" and go through life as an eternal patsy.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Maris, how do you feel about the hybrid list above your post? Dinesh informs they are digital photographers.
    Last edited by cliveh; 11-19-2013 at 04:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So how do you feel about the hybrid list in the post above? Dinesh informs they are digital photographers.
    Incorrect. I said that they have used a hybrid process.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    You're kidding right?

There are many great photographers who are using digital. If you cannot find them, it's because you choose not to.
    Then don't quote hybrid, I want to know your list of great digital photographers.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    ...we may end up with people taking digital pictures of photographs (by camera or scanner) and displaying the re-calculated digital results as photographs. That's a deceit I won't buy if I'm going to stand up for photography.
    Most who shoot film now are already doing this? But agree with the sentiment. 'A picture of a photograph' is a bit daft, or at least sounds daft.

But worse, and I can imagine this happening in the not to distant future, is Health and Safety™ taking hold. Chemicals... hazardous, hazardous chemicals. I remember my sister licking a family photograph when she was a toddler and my parents panicking, not about the germs from hundreds of fingerprints, but about 'the chemicals'.

When you think about it, you could more easily 'take your eye out' with the edge of a printed picture. Surprised I haven't done it myself in fact...
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then don't quote hybrid, I want to know your list of great digital photographers.
    Read my quote "There are many great photographers who are using digital".
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin