Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,742   Online: 1032

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getting back on topic, I relate to a lot to the opinions in this short film or advert. And most general public will too. Especially to the wedding photographer who just wants to spend time with his family and sailboat, out in the open instead of in being stuck in a darkroom or in front of computer screen.

I started shooting film for many of the reasons mentioned in this flick. But the most important are the results. The look I want to achieve and the viewfinders which aid me in composing etc... I couldn't care less about the chemicals vs electrons etc. In the end, everything I shoot is shown on computer screen (since my audience is all over the world, not locked away in my apartment).

Most of the general public aren't luddites and they are not interested in the arguments people on this forum get into. Actually, it would push an average person away. Most people only care about getting from point A to point B with the least effort possible, not how it's done.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I feel like maybe some people are trying to read too much into this?

I don't think this was meant to be some great treatise on the nature of art and the human condition nor is it claiming that these are the world's best photographers.

It's a couple of guys who own a film lab and went on a road trip talking to some people who shoot film about why they shoot film. I don't know but I'd bet that most of the people they talked to are people who send them film for processing.

Oh yeah, and I thought it was great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    Getting back on topic, I relate to a lot to the opinions in this short film or advert. And most general public will too. Especially to the wedding photographer who just wants to spend time with his family and sailboat, out in the open instead of in being stuck in a darkroom or in front of computer screen.

I started shooting film for many of the reasons mentioned in this flick. But the most important are the results. The look I want to achieve and the viewfinders which aid me in composing etc... I couldn't care less about the chemicals vs electrons etc. In the end, everything I shoot is shown on computer screen (since my audience is all over the world, not locked away in my apartment).

Most of the general public aren't luddites and they are not interested in the arguments people on this forum get into. Actually, it would push an average person away. Most people only care about getting from point A to point B with the least effort possible, not how it's done.
    Yeah, whatever man, really....

Being stuck in a darkroom....?...did you really just say that? And about that global audience you are in love with via Flickr? No way man, I value my work and so do the people who buy it and would never pay for some computer print digital garbage.

*You* think the way you about photography do based on a bunch of factors, but not everyone does and because they are different, does not make them a luddite or wrong.

I want a LOT more out of photography than a bunch of empty circle-jerk like praise you get tons of on Flickr....really man, good luck with that. APUG is not a A to B kind of place, lots of people care about the journey called life, photography often being a big part of it, not what design will be on their casket.

By the way, I like the film any good press is *really* good press when it comes to film...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 11-20-2013 at 01:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Yeah, whatever man, really....

Being stuck in a darkroom....?...did you really just say that? And about that global audience you are in love with via Flickr? No way man, I value my work and so do the people who buy it and would never pay for some computer print digital garbage.

*You* think the way you about photography do based on a bunch of factors, but not everyone does and because they are different, does not make them a luddite or wrong.

I want a LOT more out of photography than a bunch of empty circle-jerk like praise you get tons of on Flickr....really man, good luck with that. APUG is not a A to B kind of place, lots of people care about the journey called life, photography often being a big part of it, not what design will be on their casket.

By the way, I like the film any good press is *really* good press when it comes to film...
    Ha, how nice to assume and make baseless remarks. Without even knowing their person or their background or even looking at that so called flickr page...
    By the way, if you talk that way in real life I feel sorry for you.

Now considering that my immediate family lives on 4 continents and a number of countries on those continents, flickr comes really handy. I don't mind making it public and available to everyone.
    But before you start criticizing someone for having a flickr page, you should take down your website?

As for me criticising darkrooms, I'm not sure if you are reading impaired, but I also criticised computers too. In the same sentence never the less. My guess is that you didn't make that far? It seems a lot of people are a bit of hypocrites here and should take a good hard look at themselves before criticising others. Few people on their own free time made a video about their love for film. But it seems that for a lot of people here that's not good enough, even though they have made less effort than the skinny jeans wearing kids. Instead, they need to vent about it and push more people away. Too many grumpy old men around here maybe?

Besides, I'm not sure why you got so defensive and feel the need to attack others all of sudden, did I step on your toe or something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oh excellent, more examples of makes APUG great: openness to diversity, tolerance, lack of mean-spiritedness, generosity towards others ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Fun stuff. Thanks for the link Whitey
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ha, how nice to assume and make baseless remarks. Without even knowing their person or their background or even looking at that so called flickr page...
    By the way, if you talk that way in real life I feel sorry for you.

Now considering that my immediate family lives on 4 continents and a number of countries on those continents, flickr comes really handy. I don't mind making it public and available to everyone.
    But before you start criticizing someone for having a flickr page, you should take down your website?

As for me criticising darkrooms, I'm not sure if you are reading impaired, but I also criticised computers too. In the same sentence never the less. My guess is that you didn't make that far? It seems a lot of people are a bit of hypocrites here and should take a good hard look at themselves before criticising others. Few people on their own free time made a video about their love for film. But it seems that for a lot of people here that's not good enough, even though they have made less effort than the skinny jeans wearing kids. Instead, they need to vent about it and push more people away. Too many grumpy old men around here maybe?

Besides, I'm not sure why you got so defensive and feel the need to attack others all of sudden, did I step on your toe or something?
    Sorry but I am really under the weather at the moment, I do a lot to promote film use outside of the web...not everyone is on the web, thankfully.

Moving on now...

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I am missing in this film is the magical part and since it was Lab Guys that made the film I wonder why they didn't include the Darkroom and the magic that happens there. "where once was only a white paper suddenly an image emerged it felt like magic" The darkroom is still one of the most magical places to me and one of the reasons I like analogue so much I seemingly can create something out of nothing this is also one of the big differences between analogue and digital digital gives you an image as soon as the shutter closes no magic there. Honestly I would have preferred an old or young foggy who waxes poetics about the magic of film. Film can't compete on a logical level with digital only on the emotional one and the enthusiasm of some of those old/young film foggies can catch customers on an emotional level and draw them in. Also many of the chosen photographers come across as dorks or hipsters that many people can't relate to imo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Sorry but I am really under the weather at the moment, I do a lot to promote film use outside of the web...not everyone is on the web, thankfully.

Moving on now...
    That's cool, everyone has bad day. Anyway, I did enjoy few of the photos you have posted on your website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's cool, everyone has bad day. Anyway, I did enjoy few of the photos you have posted on your website.
    Thanks for understanding, seriously felt like crappola when I wrote that. Film needs good vibes, regardless of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    What I am missing in this film is the magical part and since it was Lab Guys that made the film I wonder why they didn't include the Darkroom and the magic that happens there.
    What ever was not included could very well be done by someone else. I have been sitting on the couch most of the day fighting a cold, I just turned on the Food Network and the aspect of how much the passion in a kitchen resembles the hands on of darkroom work really speaks to me.

If you wanted to really pull people into the magic of the darkroom in a film, a fun and creative way in which to do that would be to produce a duality of a chef and a black and white printer resembling each other. How cool would it be to show John Sexton in his darkroom and Patrick O'Connell kitchen bound in his cow print pants in the same film, doing what they and we love...?
    Last edited by PKM-25; 11-20-2013 at 11:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin