Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,026   Online: 696

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Thanks, and I would agree with you about Burtynsky, but not the others.
    He forgot to mention me... LOL
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Thanks for understanding, seriously felt like crappola when I wrote that. Film needs good vibes, regardless of origin.

What ever was not included could very well be done by someone else. I have been sitting on the couch most of the day fighting a cold, I just turned on the Food Network and the aspect of how much the passion in a kitchen resembles the hands on of darkroom work really speaks to me.

If you wanted to really pull people into the magic of the darkroom in a film, a fun and creative way in which to do that would be to produce a duality of a chef and a black and white printer resembling each other. How cool would it be to show John Sexton in his darkroom and Patrick O'Connell kitchen bound in his cow print pants in the same film, doing what they and we love...?
    The late Bob Carlos Clarke would have been a great TV Chef/Photographer he was virtuoso of both and no to forget the babes he would have shown in his show :-)
    I also agree that someone else could do the things that were not included in the movie I was just a bit astonished that a movie made by lab guys doesn't show the lab that's all the rest is just waxing poetics from me.

+1 for your Idea Kitchen Photographer let's write a treatment and send it to Kodak/Impossible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just turned on the Food Network and the aspect of how much the passion in a kitchen resembles the hands on of darkroom work really speaks to me.
    I can relate to that in a different way, summed up by Werner Herzog:

“Our civilization is starving for great images.”

I really love some of the great darkroom artists and agree, even though John Sexton's images don't do much for me, I'd love to see him pottering about in the darkroom - because this is the place where he really becomes the artist he is. I think you intuitively get that. But (and I've expressed this before) I feel that there is a reaction amongst analog photographers to retreat to the darkroom, when - with Herzog's sentiment in mind - more vital at this cultural, political, economic moment is a deeper interaction with what is happening (visually) in our world. And this applies to the young computer bound as well as the old fashioned shut-ins, who really, really just don't get out enough. I personally don't see any difference between a digital photographer 'shooting from the hip' thinking he/she can remedy mediocrity on the computer, and analog photographers who do the same in the darkroom.

There is no inherent value in the traditional image beyond its purity of means, and the purest way to make photographs in turn is to show people the world with a direct intensity that forces viewers to ask questions about it, not the material.

Speaking of Herzog. The other great visually motivated film maker, Kubrick, made so many subtle references to his craft which cinema aficionados pick up on - especially the Shining - but these things are purposefully and masterfully rendered incidental to the majority, in what is his most populist film. I wish more analog photographers could let their intentionality of craft speak a lot quieter in the way great film makers are able to do, allowing the content/narrative/message/whatever you call it, to take center stage.

PKM-25 - you often leave comments here urging people to just go out and shoot and I get the impression the reason you're not exhibiting around the globe, publishing books etc. (which you seem to want to do) is because you value the craft above all else. There's a lot of evidence on APUG that there's nothing more inhibiting.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    PKM-25 - you often leave comments here urging people to just go out and shoot and I get the impression the reason you're not exhibiting around the globe, publishing books etc. (which you seem to want to do) is because you value the craft above all else. There's a lot of evidence on APUG that there's nothing more inhibiting.
    No, the life and the images I make because of the life I live are by far the driving force of my motivation, not the method. But the method is indeed a deeply seated one, kind of a hunch or gut feeling that one has when they know they are onto something really good.

It took time to break into what puts food on my table now and it will take equally as long to break into fine art to the point to where it is 100% of what puts the same food on the table. I exhibit locally and that is not a short shrift by any means since I have friends and acquaintances who’s net worths are in the upper 1% of the global population….and they love good art. For example, one couple who I have known for over 10 years and has a large estate on a lakeshore hired me last Spring to shoot a series of black and white fine art images of the view of their abode from across the lake. This meant one shot that represented each season, I am waiting on enough snow to finish the last image. So far they love what I am doing which is good, because they have a net worth of 2.7 billion. At some point, when I break in, I might likely be pulled out into other venues on what you would consider an international scale, but for now, I am far better off where I am.

As far as books, I have had 4 titles published in the past 6 years in which my images represent anywhere from 25% to 50% of the total of the book. I am shooting one book right now and have been for the past few years and I am nearly done with the Kodachrome edit. I held off on that for a lot of reasons, one of which was personal. After fighting a cold for a few days, I went out and about and ran errands, got lunch and finished a roll of film in my M3….I feel pretty good today, I think I will fire up the darkroom and print.

My wife wants to see a print of the attached photo of a peninsula of ice on a lake we hiked near, so I will print it....

Either way, thanks for the reminder that I need to be heard from less on this site and more through other means, like exhibiting world wide, perhaps I'll log back in when that is about to happen.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 11-21-2013 at 03:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    No, the life and the images I make because of the life I live are by far the driving force of my motivation, not the method. But the method is indeed a deeply seated one, kind of a hunch or gut feeling that one has when they know they are onto something really good.

It took time to break into what puts food on my table now and it will take equally as long to break into fine art to the point to where it is 100% of what puts the same food on the table. I exhibit locally and that is not a short shrift by any means since I have friends and acquaintances who’s net worths are in the upper 1% of the global population….and they love good art. For example, one couple who I have known for over 10 years and has a large estate on a lakeshore hired me last Spring to shoot a series of black and white fine art images of the view of their abode from across the lake. This meant one shot that represented each season, I am waiting on enough snow to finish the last image. So far they love what I am doing which is good, because they have a net worth of 2.7 billion. At some point, when I break in, I might likely be pulled out into other venues on what you would consider an international scale, but for now, I am far better off where I am.

As far as books, I have had 4 titles published in the past 6 years in which my images represent anywhere from 25% to 50% of the total of the book. I am shooting one book right now and have been for the past few years and I am nearly done with the Kodachrome edit. I held off on that for a lot of reasons, one of which was personal. After fighting a cold for a few days, I went out and about and ran errands, got lunch and finished a roll of film in my M3….I feel pretty good today, I think I will fire up the darkroom and print.

My wife wants to see a print of the attached photo of a peninsula of ice on a lake we hiked near, so I will print it....

Either way, thanks for the reminder that I need to be heard from less on this site and more through other means, like exhibiting world wide, perhaps I'll log back in when that is about to happen.
    But then how can I harass you when I want to geek out about photos if you're not online?

Maybe one of these days I'll actually be able to publish at least one book! Lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I could name lots of really good ones, but at the moment can’t think of any really good digital photographers. There must be some, can someone enlighten me with a few names I could google?

Maggie Taylor.

Anyways, refreshing film. Thank you. On another refreshing note, I took my wife into a camera shop in local mall this evening to get pics taken for her passport and a kid no more than 15 was walking out with a Pentax K1000 around his neck and a handful of HP5. I don't know who was grinning more, me or him.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin