Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,491   Posts: 1,644,871   Online: 1146

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found the press release bizarre. 'Leica now covers all segments of the photo industry' what next? Smartphones? 3, 4,7,8,12,20,41 mpx etc?
    I would've have raged at that statement if I were a shareholder.
    Keep getting reminded of the car brand analogy, anyhow. Looks like another hassie like management. :-)

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think they look at it as offering a compact digital camera, a FF digi, a medium format digi and now a view camera / studio digi option, with stitching backs and such. I doubt they care much for what they cover for film shooters, but I believe there still exists roll film and sheet film options for the view range. I think Sinar fans should be happy, it could've gone much worse. The landscape has changed drastically.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sinar had the Sinar/Rollei Hy6 going for a while, to cover the MF SLR part of the range, and now they have a MF view camera and the LanTec architectural camera, mainly aimed at users of MF digital backs.

But really, I don't think Leica needs to claim to cover everything. They are part of a company that markets luxury products, so they'll market Sinar as a luxury product as well. Can I get a bellows for my 8x10" P with Louis Vuitton logo leather now? Non-metering back, please.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fabulous!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, Leica sells 35mm digital and film cameras, plus a medium format-ish digital system, so they really can now claim to have products spanning the full range.

I expect they'll be pushing for more automation and electronic coupling to sell in smaller view cameras. Think 645-ish sensors (that being what's in mass manufacture right now) in a system with bellows, coupled sinar shutter and shorter focal lengths more appropriate to the MF sensor than 4x5+. Think commercial/stock shoots, etc, maybe rich people doing landscapes.

Sure Leica are expensive (they're a Hermes brand, right?), but it's not like Sinar was cheap.

Hell, maybe they'll be the first to market with a commercial non-scanning LF digital product. I doubt it though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin