Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,518   Online: 838

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I guess via format reduction.
    Oh, so one drives an 18 wheeler to carry a small package?!? That is like taking an 8"x10" camera and then shooting single frame [half frame] 35mm. There is something seriously wrong with that picture!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you got an expensive MF sensor back there is nothing wrong in putting it via a reduction device on a LF monorail. All LF camera manufacturers offered reduction devices even in times of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you got an expensive MF sensor back there is nothing wrong in putting it via a reduction device on a LF monorail. All LF camera manufacturers offered reduction devices even in times of film.
    Except that then one is carrying around unnecessary mass and volume and looses any advantages of the smaller format.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not all photographers had/have the means to buy apt outfits for each and every format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found the press release bizarre. 'Leica now covers all segments of the photo industry' what next? Smartphones? 3, 4,7,8,12,20,41 mpx etc?
    I would've have raged at that statement if I were a shareholder.
    Keep getting reminded of the car brand analogy, anyhow. Looks like another hassie like management. :-)

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not all photographers had/have the means to buy apt outfits for each and every format.
    But a camera company that wants to stay competitive in this market will off them for sale. Selling a 35mm camera and a large format camera and then claiming to cover the market is hardly an act of honestly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think they look at it as offering a compact digital camera, a FF digi, a medium format digi and now a view camera / studio digi option, with stitching backs and such. I doubt they care much for what they cover for film shooters, but I believe there still exists roll film and sheet film options for the view range. I think Sinar fans should be happy, it could've gone much worse. The landscape has changed drastically.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sinar had the Sinar/Rollei Hy6 going for a while, to cover the MF SLR part of the range, and now they have a MF view camera and the LanTec architectural camera, mainly aimed at users of MF digital backs.

But really, I don't think Leica needs to claim to cover everything. They are part of a company that markets luxury products, so they'll market Sinar as a luxury product as well. Can I get a bellows for my 8x10" P with Louis Vuitton logo leather now? Non-metering back, please.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fabulous!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, Leica sells 35mm digital and film cameras, plus a medium format-ish digital system, so they really can now claim to have products spanning the full range.

I expect they'll be pushing for more automation and electronic coupling to sell in smaller view cameras. Think 645-ish sensors (that being what's in mass manufacture right now) in a system with bellows, coupled sinar shutter and shorter focal lengths more appropriate to the MF sensor than 4x5+. Think commercial/stock shoots, etc, maybe rich people doing landscapes.

Sure Leica are expensive (they're a Hermes brand, right?), but it's not like Sinar was cheap.

Hell, maybe they'll be the first to market with a commercial non-scanning LF digital product. I doubt it though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin