Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,013   Online: 877

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a shame.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Kodak, like most companies, is still large enough that the change in the health care laws does not have ANY EFFECT.
    Not true. Many large companies are replacing FT people with PT. My company specializes in helping other companies do this. With the new rules, a company is very wise to get rid of a large percentage of FT workers who aren't key personnel.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best wishes for the holidays to you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Not true. Many large companies are replacing FT people with PT. My company specializes in helping other companies do this. With the new rules, a company is very wise to get rid of a large percentage of FT workers who aren't key personnel.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Is 3,542 the film work force? Or everyone they have?

As terrible as layoffs are, 30 of 3,542 isn't too unexpected for a large company. I expect their yearly turnover is much higher from regular departures. If everyone stuck with their jobs for 15 years before changing position that would still be an average ~236 departures and hires annually.

Just saying, not much we can get without context here though Photo Engineer may have a better sense of how they operate.

Shooter
    35mm
    3542 is everybody in Rochester. BTW, since that figure was as of the end of 2012 that figure also includes all of the Kodak Alaris people as well. I don't know what the current 'real' Kodak employment is.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ESS/309090042/ from 9 Sep 13 says Kodak Alaris has roughly 400 employees locally in Rochester so the 'real' Kodak employment in Rochester is about 3100.
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 11-27-2013 at 10:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post

Kent in SD
    I don't believe you. Why would big companies that give their employees good insurance suddenly want to drop them to part time to avoid doing what they've ALWAYS done for those employees? Are they doing it just to spite the [President]? Or are you just spreading falsehoods to steer people in the direction your handlers want? All Obamacare does is require companies to provide insurance. Companies that already do so are NOT affected, except for some low-wage employers like Walmart that provided insurance few employees could afford that provided little real benefit. It has no effect on high-wage, good benefit employers like Kodak.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 11-28-2013 at 02:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Let's try to avoid offensive language on the forum, even when it is clearly a parody of what other people might say.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have an idea PE really doesn't want to think about it beyond his initial post. And I'm not asking. I don't like rubbing salt into people's sores. It's not easy watching the computer eat up your whole life's work. It's different from automobiles putting the livery stable out of the picture. The computer is eating up EVERYTHING, not just photography. That beast swallows EVERYTHING whole.

Shooter
    35mm
    That stinks. I've been the subject of layoffs just before the holidays. It bites.

And it's not that the computers are eating everything whole. It's that guys like me think up new ways they can be used. So ya gotta blame the Electrical Engineers and Computer Scientists/IT guys.

A wise teacher once told me "Computers are stupid. They do exactly what they are told to do, not what you thought you told them to do." Come to think of it, maybe computers are like the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal - A beast so mindbogglingly stupid, it thinks if you can't see it, it can't see you. So the best thing to do if you should encounter the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (or its earthly counterpart) is to stick your head under the dark cloth and keep on making photos!

But seriously, I do feel bad for those that were laid off just before the holidays. It sucks. There's no nice way to put it.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    That stinks. I've been the subject of layoffs just before the holidays. It bites.

And it's not that the computers are eating everything whole. It's that guys like me think up new ways they can be used. So ya gotta blame the Electrical Engineers and Computer Scientists/IT guys.

A wise teacher once told me "Computers are stupid. They do exactly what they are told to do, not what you thought you told them to do." Come to think of it, maybe computers are like the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal - A beast so mindbogglingly stupid, it thinks if you can't see it, it can't see you. So the best thing to do if you should encounter one of these ravenous beasts is to stick your head under the dark cloth and keep on making photos!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    1. I don't believe you. Why would big companies that give their employees good insurance suddenly want to drop them to part time to avoid doing what they've ALWAYS done for those employees?
    3. Or are you just spreading falsehoods to steer people in the direction your handlers want? All Obamacare does is require companies to provide insurance. Companies that already do so are NOT affected, (54) except for some low-wage employers like Walmart that provided insurance few employees could afford that provided little real benefit. It has no effect on high-wage, good benefit employers like Kodak.

1. Premiums have done nothng but go UP, to pay for all the changes. This is expensive. A few large companies have been getting rid of their insurance all together.

3. The only "handler" I have is my wife. As for my company, we're making a LOT of money because of the new laws.

4. If you were to check, you'd discover that Walmart's health insurance, designed by Prof. Steve Schondelmeyer of the Univ. of MN school of medical economics, is actually considerably better than Target's and is even better than what PT people at many unionized grocery stores get. Walmart is actually mid-waged for people with those educational credentials. Walmart's ESOP has made more millionaires from employees than just about any other company. Unions kill jobs; Walmart creates them.

Kent in SD
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 11-28-2013 at 02:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Removed response to edited post.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin