Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,640   Online: 786

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Careful guys. This site WILL cut you off because of political talk. Believe me on that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... Edited because I do not want any part of this discussion...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not appreciate any racial slurs or allusions to such in a thread I am associated with. Please stop this sort of thing.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The economics is simple. Let older trained people train younger people who are paid less. Then lay off the older people and have a smaller payroll and lower individual pay!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a depressing thread on many levels.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    What a depressing thread on many levels.
    Don't be too down. A year ago on this forum I was contemplating the possibility of Kodak Park turning into a section 8 housing project. But alas, my Yahoo news page tells me of new construction of apartment buildings UP 20% this year. There's your section 8 housing right there. So it looks like Kodak Park might just have to go back to making film after all. Better than none at all. How would you like to be the average dimwit taking your photos by whipping out your cell phone? Borrring... That's no hobby, that's just dumb.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Not true. Many large companies are replacing FT people with PT. My company specializes in helping other companies do this. With the new rules, a company is very wise to get rid of a large percentage of FT workers who aren't key personnel.

Kent in SD
    All politics and partisanship aside, that is simply not true.

First, the corporate trend towards an increasing reliance on PTEs started long before the PPACA and long before January 20, 2009. Second, the only "large companies" [i.e. those that employ 50 or more people] with any sort of possible incentive to even consider transitioning FTEs to PTEs are ones that currently provide no health insurance benefits to their FT workforce.

As far as Kodak is concerned, the insurance benefits that EK currently provide to their workforce already exceed the PPACA minimums, so the PPACA has nothing to do with their decision as regards these layoffs. I would guess that the timing of these layoffs is based on HR planning for the coming new calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    1. Premiums have done nothng but go UP, to pay for all the changes. This is expensive. A few large companies have been getting rid of their insurance all together.
    The Y-O-Y increase in healthcare premiums peaked around 2009 and have been decreasing steadily ever since.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 11-28-2013 at 02:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Response to edited post.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Stick to Kodak, folks and take the political discussion elsewhere. The racial slur was clearly something that the poster was attributing to others by way of parody, but better not to push the level of discourse in that direction.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    I don't believe you. Why would big companies that give their employees good insurance suddenly want to drop them to part time to avoid doing what they've ALWAYS done for those employees?
    Actually, I work for a very large company. They provided insurance well before this Obamacare debacle. We were warned about upcoming changes when the law goes into effect. For those in my region, changes were far less noticeable, but in other areas, changes were quite drastic.

My company pays the greater portion of our insurance, and when the statement came out, I saw a large increase in what they're paying. If that increase holds true for many smaller companies, I can see where others may not be able to continue providing as much. I have also seen first hand other companies having to cut hours to keep the business running, either through workforce reductions, or hour reductions to PT to save on costs.

Politics aside, certain requirements of the law require vast administrative resources. Because certain plans do not meet the new requirements of the law, plans have to change and costs increase. The law doesn't do anything about increased insurance costs caused by the lawsuit lottery and junk science. These lawsuits cost consumers far more than general healthcare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a statement, Kodak said Tuesday that it has consistently indicated that as motion picture film volumes continue to decline, “We will continue to make adjustments to keep our scale in line with the decline.”

It seems very much likely that the future of Kodak is tied to the future of motion picture film.

What will happen when all movies are digital?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin