Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,226   Online: 901

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

And just before a holiday as usual

In the first major layoff since declaring bankruptcy, Kodak has announce 30 layoffs in the film division.

From some information, there appears to be a slight downturn again in analog product sales.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it may be worse than that. Today's Democrat and Chronicle says "Eastman Kodak Co. has laid off roughly 40 Rochester workers, most of them employed in film manufacturing."http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...rkers/3758641/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wonder what that means in percentage of employees.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One thing I am thankful for, though. I still have my job. I cannot fathom my level of WHAT THE HELL were I to just up and lose my job to cuts, let alone in the holidays.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fred, I may have misheard. This was on the news. And I was wondering what percentage too.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    This article says: "Eastman Kodak Co.’s local workforce dropped to 3,542 at the end of the 2012, down from 5,129 a year ago." http://www.rbj.net/article.asp?aID=194269

So that would be around 1% of the Rochester workforce,

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is barely possible that film sales is not the culprit, at least I hope. It may simply be a move in preparation for the health insurance situation that is fixing to hit the fan. I've little doubt that the management has that situation very much on their mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    It is barely possible that film sales is not the culprit, at least I hope. It may simply be a move in preparation for the health insurance situation that is fixing to hit the fan. I've little doubt that the management has that situation very much on their mind.
    Kodak, like most companies, is still large enough that the change in the health care laws does not have ANY EFFECT.

It is probably more driven by the fact that if people are laid off now, the company will not have to pay for the end of the year company holidays.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They just have a great sense of timing, don't they!

I am sorry to hear of the loss of those jobs and the troubles that will be caused for those former employees and their families.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Kodak, like most companies, is still large enough that the change in the health care laws does not have ANY EFFECT.

It is probably more driven by the fact that if people are laid off now, the company will not have to pay for the end of the year company holidays.
    Sorry--I'm the son of an insurance man. When my Mom died, he re-married an equally successful insurance woman from another agency. So I get an insurance angle on a lot of things from exposure. So that's just a prism I see things through some times myself. What I see isn't exactly comforting and re-assuring. You've got to believe these companies like this are very much in strategy mode.
    Because the only other possible scenario would be the one with declining film sales. That's a pill that's as bitter as Cipro. I don't like that one at all. GL Kodak

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin