Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,324   Online: 783

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak Pro films 15% up in 2013, overall (incl. consumer) 30% down

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...photo-printing

Article is about increasing photo printing buisness, but figures about film sales are given further down. This is along my own impressions, enthusiasts are going for the pro films while the large amount of supermarket films is going down due to people switching to digital. I addition, I am not convinced that all Ektachrome slide film shooters switched to Kodak negative film also, which might have contributed to overall film sales. Nevertheless, it is nice to know that the films with higher renevue are going very well.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The figur given for the overall decline in film sale is the standard figure for the last years.
    The industry got used to it...

Palmer said that ‘print conversion' is falling and currently stands at 2%
    The quota of digitally taken photos being printed is hard to establish. That 2% seems even high to me.

The number of prints being made by photo-finishers in Western Europe has been quite stable over the last years.
    (The number of prints with digital origin has even been rising.)
    In case of a decline that must have been a matter of the last few months.

At 4%, industry print projections move from decline to growth.
    That would mean that the photo-finishers must double their production to establish a rise again. That is nonsense.

So there is something wrong with that article.
    Last edited by AgX; 12-13-2013 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just like AgX, I have no idea where that 2% number for print conversion comes from. Except for the few prints that I make (or sometimes order), nobody in my extended family has made or ordered prints in years. Most photo albums shown to me show special events (weddings, newborns, baptizings), but the common family photo album usually stops a few years ago ("I have these somewhere on my computer/phone").

The +15% number for professional film sales tells me that analog hobbyist photography, as exemplified by APUG, is not in decline, and that Ferrania could actually succeed in that new market.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin