Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,938   Online: 825

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HFR is coming to town

HFR (High Frame Rate), being pushed by Douglas Trumbull (2001) and James Cameron (Avatar) is verging on the edge of introduction. It uses 48 or 60 fps rather than the current value, and thus it improves resolution and "uses more film" which are both good for us.

Lets hope that it moves forward and captures the market. And lets hope that they don't do it digitally!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    huh? how does it improve resolution without using a larger negative?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Higer frame rate increases resolution of movements (object- or camera-wise).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "The Hobbit" was shot at 48fps and most certainly was not shot on film, and neither was Avatar which was shot on a digital 3D camera.
    ... an array of high-resolution RED Epic cameras recording video at 5,120-by-2,700-pixel resolution, and at 48 fps ...
    Both films were dropped down to standard speeds for film prints for most theaters that don't have the expensive projectors required.

It only increases temporal resolution, not spatial.

PS: the high speed showings of the Hobbit movie(s) still cause a lot of debate over whether the higher playback speed is better, worse, or just different.

No other filmmaker in the intervening years has used this format, which hardly counts as a landslide of positive opinion from the guild. Also, in the meantime, at least one major franchise (aka Star Wars) is specifically going to shoot to film at standard speeds and not digital because they don't like the look one little bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't stand the look of 30fps+ in cinematic applications. In other media, such as video games or television, it's fine, but there's something about the look of a movie playing at 30+fps that is extremely offputting to me...it almost imparts a low-budget look in my opinion.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought the latest Hobbit in HFR looked awesome - the first one made me a little seasick because it looked at times like the film had been speeded up. I read that Peter Jackson adjusted the second film so it looked more 'film like' and by golly it seems to have worked, the HFR was not obvious at all, which I guess is the point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Douglas Trumbull used 60fps in his "rides" for the theme parks in Las Vegas and Orlando. It is all film. He says that it give an almost 3D quality to 2D images and for 3D is superb.

And, even if shot using digital, the films were projected using print film. At this time and for the foreseeable future, most theaters will be analog.

I know the arguments pro and con and all of the comments above, but this is possibly a new trend that I am just going to be open minded about and hope that something good for film comes of it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Douglas Trumbull used 60fps in his "rides" for the theme parks in Las Vegas and Orlando. It is all film. He says that it give an almost 3D quality to 2D images and for 3D is superb.

And, even if shot using digital, the films were projected using print film. At this time and for the foreseeable future, most theaters will be analog.

I know the arguments pro and con and all of the comments above, but this is possibly a new trend that I am just going to be open minded about and hope that something good for film comes of it.

PE
    I thought most theatres would be converted over to digital by 2015. Isnt that the set conversion date?

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Should the higher frame rate become the new standard then death will come knocking on films door not the other way. Higher frame rates means the death of film not the survival twice the frame rate means twice the cost meaning less people will be able to afford a film shoot. Also a higher frame rate makes the film look more like digital (ultra realistic and sharp) than film imo. Europe has gone nearly 80% digital cinema. Higher frame rate also favours digital as most digital cine cameras have a natively higher frame rate than 24/25 fps. Most cine film cameras are only truly Sync sound between 24 to 32 fps all faster cameras are MOS and Showscan requires twice the frame rate too bad that no current Sync Sound camera can handle that speed. I congratulate the digital guys they finally found a way to kill off film.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nearly forgot film projectors in cinemas have a fixed frame rate of either 24 or 25 fps so the few remaining analogue cinemas would have to retrofit their projectors something they won't be able to afford. In short they have to make the move to digital or perish.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin