Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,696   Online: 1178
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lower Michigan, USA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    371

    Not sure a SD card would have survived.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Live Free or Die
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,429
    Images
    90
    It's an interesting story, and there is another thread.

    As for SD cards, probably not for 100 years, and probably there won't be anything that can read one 100 years from now.
    But, FWIW, I dropped one out of my Palm into the snow one winter in my driveway, and my wife found it while gardening 1+ years later, and it works just fine.

  3. #3
    jp498's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Owls Head ME
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,467
    Images
    74
    SD might not survive, but Compact Flash surely would have. They survived 9/11

    http://digitaljournalist.org/issue01...gart_intro.htm

  4. #4
    IloveTLRs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,000
    Images
    2
    It reminds me of the Leica II found in a glacier in the Austrian Alps. It doesn't look like the film would produce any images.

    Poor thing http://leicarumors.com/2013/09/11/th...austrian-alps/
    Those who know, shoot film

  5. #5
    MDR
    MDR is offline
    MDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austria
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,085
    Those SD and CF cards are pretty resilient they survived quiet a few washings in my washing machine. I seem to constantly forget them in my pants don't know why. must be a freudian thing.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PO Box 231 New Underwood, SD 57761-0231
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    191

    SD card survival

    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Those SD and CF cards are pretty resilient they survived quiet a few washings in my washing machine. I seem to constantly forget them in my pants don't know why. must be a freudian thing.

    They may be tough on the short term........... But long term? I'd bet all the tea in China that in 20 years there won't be any available new, or be anything that could even read them. I have several 5 volt Smart Media cameras in my museum, the very first and second versions of the Apple Digicam. If it were'nt for my love of old computers there would be no way to use or read these cards and devices. And never mind the cards, my Sony and Ricoh Mavica cameras that use 2" Video Floppy Disks are truly orphans. Good thing I stocked up on 100s of disks when they still being made. This media is also a touch over 20 years old also.

    If you want true archival images, use more film and promote its use!!!!! The world has lost almost 20 years of archival history due to digital imaging devices. Over 90% of these images never get to see paper and only exist in the cloud. And like clouds, a puff of wind, virus, static or drive failure will blow them away, never to be seen again. I have some amazing 80 year old audio recordings from pre WW2 on WIRE RECORDERS, ( like reel to reel tape, but using .005 stainless steel wire running at 24 inches per second).

    It's pretty simple, there is no digital based media that will survive time. Either the media will deteriorate or the technology to play it will be long lost. Analog media will survive!
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

  7. #7
    bobwysiwyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI U.S.A.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,556
    Images
    3
    Don't forget an EMP, though I suspect the impact on digi pics would be secondary to every day survival.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

    Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

  8. #8
    J.Marks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Holly Hill, Fl
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    40
    I have many 2x3 negatives of my grandfather when he was approx 5-6 years old, except for some minor handling damage over the years, still print beautifully. Making these negatives 105- 110 years old. Negatives of him in France during WWI are in marvelous condition and print very nicely. These negatives will be printable for maybe another 100 years who knows. So I'll keep my FILM and my darkroom for recording my little piece of the world. Some digital snapshots that i took are all gone because my computer crashed the other day and is toast. Like was said above most digital images never see the light of day and live in a little plastic box. Digital has its place in photography but will NEVER be archival to the point my grand kids kids will see the images.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PO Box 231 New Underwood, SD 57761-0231
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    191

    Pictures WILL be very important

    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Don't forget an EMP, though I suspect the impact on digi pics would be secondary to every day survival.

    After EMP, film will be the only imaging available, and become very important for documentation, perhaps less than basic survival, but we've all seen the images from Japan during after the bombs. Virtually every "solid state" electronic device will be dead, computers, cell phones, all of it. Vacuum tube radios and devices will survive completely unharmed, (if they are not broken). Its nice to listen to the warm tone of a tube radio or tape anyway. Film may take a hit from fallout radiation as seen in the Chyrnoble images, but intact images are recorded for history.

    I know I'm preaching to the choir.............
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NT - what other option is there?
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8

    analog rules

    Quote Originally Posted by J.Marks View Post
    I have many 2x3 negatives of my grandfather when he was approx 5-6 years old, except for some minor handling damage over the years, still print beautifully. Making these negatives 105- 110 years old. Negatives of him in France during WWI are in marvelous condition and print very nicely. These negatives will be printable for maybe another 100 years who knows. So I'll keep my FILM and my darkroom for recording my little piece of the world. Some digital snapshots that i took are all gone because my computer crashed the other day and is toast. Like was said above most digital images never see the light of day and live in a little plastic box. Digital has its place in photography but will NEVER be archival to the point my grand kids kids will see the images.
    Awesome work by your family to protect the history there. I scored some old negs from my grandparents but they have curled lengthways very badly. Tried some printing years ago off them but iwasn't really successful. should I re wash them maybe?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin