Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,839   Online: 815

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Cool, do you ever use an IR filter with HIE or not? Glad you keep on going.
    I use at least a 29 red if not a 87c which I have an IR meter for. This was with the 29, crappy D800 scan so I can show the athletes the IR effect when I approach them tomorrow. We now have Winter X for 5 more years after this one so I think I am going to use 5-10 rolls of HIE on it per year until I run out, should be a sick body of work when 2020 rolls around...:-)

Back on topic, forget about when MP stock is done, we have no idea what K-Alaris has in store to keep the coating lines going once MP film hits rock bottom, you have to know they are making that transition a top priority...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I keep saying how many young people I run into that *LOVE* shooting film and how they are not only not jaded from losing products that very few ever used but are amazed at how many great films there are out there.

So every year, I shoot black and white at the Winter X Games and this year it is some of my Kodak HIE in 35mm & 120. Today, this 21 year old woman was over the moon to see me shooting a Nikon FM3A and Hasselblad. We talked for awhile and she really echoed what I have been telling you all for years, stop pining for what we no longer have, get out and crush it with fresh imagery on film, because that is what moves film forward, not AARP conventions of how it used to be....
    Absolutely! I was out there "crushing it" with film yesterday. Then, when I got home, I hit the "lab" and got to work. 4 rolls developed, one after another. It was a mini marathon session for me, as I never did more than 2 rolls in a day before.

I just love turning my bathroom into this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep saying how many young people I run into that *LOVE* shooting film and how they are not only not jaded from losing products that very few ever used but are amazed at how many great films there are out there.

So every year, I shoot black and white at the Winter X Games and this year it is some of my Kodak HIE in 35mm & 120. Today, this 21 year old woman was over the moon to see me shooting a Nikon FM3A and Hasselblad. We talked for awhile and she really echoed what I have been telling you all for years, stop pining for what we no longer have, get out and crush it with fresh imagery on film, because that is what moves film forward, not AARP conventions of how it used to be....
    +1, exactly Daniel.
    I am also teaching film photography to young photographers. And they are always asking me: "Wow, so much different films, so much variety, which ones should I use...." .

Best regards,
    Henning

P.S.:
    - In BW I have now more options compared to the time when I started BW as a young guy. And the films are of much better quality. Delta 100, TMY-2, CMS 20 II, CoRa? I only could have dreamt of such amazing films at my beginning.
    - And for color: The quality difference is even bigger. I prefer having three really excellent films to having ten mediocre films. I don't miss Kodachrome for example, Provia 100F is so much better in all parameters.
    - Movie: Here in my area all the cinemas have installed digital projectors parallel to the film projectors, so the film projectors are all still there and can be used at least.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use at least a 29 red if not a 87c which I have an IR meter for. This was with the 29, crappy D800 scan so I can show the athletes the IR effect when I approach them tomorrow. We now have Winter X for 5 more years after this one so I think I am going to use 5-10 rolls of HIE on it per year until I run out, should be a sick body of work when 2020 rolls around...:-)

Back on topic, forget about when MP stock is done, we have no idea what K-Alaris has in store to keep the coating lines going once MP film hits rock bottom, you have to know they are making that transition a top priority...
    Cool, I didn't know that that had planned to discontinue the winter-x games...

Good luck! Now why don't you start shooting the games with your 4x5!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I wonder if our gigantic hole in the ground up the street, which is going to become the new Pacific Film Archive, is going to actually show film.
    Otherwise they should be honest enough to rename it as the Pacific Pixel Archive.

Note that the term 'film' can mean:

film
    noun
    plural noun: films

a thin flexible strip of plastic or other material coated with light-sensitive emulsion for exposure in a camera, used to produce photographs or motion pictures."he had already shot a whole roll of film"

a motion picture; a movie."a horror film"

So the name 'Pacific Film Archive' would be correct even if it was all digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another interesting point is archiving. But please listen to this NPR story.

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/26/266515...ole-to-digital
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The amount of film needed for an archive copy (max. 3x the lenght of a release copy) is miniscule compared to the volume made up by hundreds of release copies employed for many movies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Paramount Picturs says it will still distribute some 35mm prints of its movies on film.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2rikpfNI6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I think movies will still be shot digitally

Quote Originally Posted by falotico View Post
    Paramount Picturs says it will still distribute some 35mm prints of its movies on film.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2rikpfNI6
    I think they might use film recorders to make the prints. Which means they'll "print" the movie from a digital file on to a piece of film with a film recorder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_recorder

It's still film I guess.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    I can tell you as someone who has sent digital files to Dwayne's Photo for printing to slide film, that I was hard pressed to tell that they were digital printed to film than shot on film originally when I projected them at reasonable home viewing sizes. I suppose I could've seen the difference had I projected on the side of the garage and pixel peeped. A couple of the files were scans that weren't so great, but here again, Garbage In, Garbage Out. When the source material was good, the end result was good as well.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin