Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,385   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

memories

Aaah, now, that brings back memories. As a callow youth I could have gone to the theaters on the main street and seen Betty Grable dance and sing and watched Clark Gable push dames around, all for 25 cebts. But I always preferred to go to a crummy theater on a side street and spend a dime and watch Saturday Morning Serials, Republic Westerns and the Bowrey Boys. Somewhere along the line the film always broke and they would never give refunds. The floors were sticky, the smell not so good and the help snippy. But I had to know if the bad guys got away with the plans to the Norden Bombsight. And those John Wayne films were not to be missed. He produced many of the Republic westerns himself. Those were magical days my friends.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sad, I'm surprised Marti was ok with that, but I guess he's progressive...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I wandered through one of the larger city cinemas here in Melbourne that closed before Christmas (for a future apartment tower, kept open until they would have HAD to go digital) the other day - in a rare instance of sanity, the property manager had contacted other theatre folk so they could raid the 6-cinema multiplex for spare parts (rather than EVERYTHING going into a skip, as is usual practice). A friend managed to salvage a (not too thrashed) Cinnemeccanica Vic 8 for parts for his theatre (which has two), and I got a very nice cinema amp, and probably one of the last 35mm trailers we'll ever see...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3271.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	644.0 KB 
ID:	80359

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to also point out that this is print film. It doesn't necessarily mean that all Paramount movies will no longer use film for the OCN.

Have the major movie studios even been relevant for the last 5-10 years anyway? They're talking about "Anchorman 2" for christ sakes.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't watched a first run American film in a theater in over 10 years, so I can't say I'll notice anything different. As long as non American films will still be shot on film I can watch stuff on the DVD at home. How anyone can watch a full digital movie is beyond me, or look at a digital photograph for that matter. It just looks so bad!

Shooter
    35mm
    No scratches, no jitter, no distracting dirt on the film, no eye-searing flicker…I agree, it's horrible!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Since Simon's company has been providing all the big studios tons of B&W film??
    Industry, I didnt say Ilford.
    Given the really small number of film manufacturers around, I would be very surprised if they aren't aware of what the others are thinking/forecasting?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simon would hardly speak about other companies.
    There are only two manufacturers of colour release print films left: Agfa and Kodak.

Even costly restored versions of ímportant historic movies will no longer be released on film again.

Some cinemas will keep on projecting film copies out of the remaining stock.

It seems easy to blame the production companies for this development. But the creative people (directors and directors of photography) themselves were not eager to engage with film when approached out of the photochemical industry lately.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-18-2014 at 06:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Have the major movie studios even been relevant for the last 5-10 years anyway? They're talking about "Anchorman 2" for christ sakes.
    The smaller a studio the less likely they would invest in release prints.

Once a cinema has installed a digital projector it makes no sense keeping the means to project film unless they are used to show a lot of old movies not yet digitized.
    Or having an audience eager to see movies on film.

It still takes a trained person, and to pay for that person, to project film. With projecting digital files you can save on that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our local art house just pulled out the projector last week. They have been unable to get many of the films they wanted to show this entire past year as they were never issued on film.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin