Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,572   Online: 1085

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    What I am challenging with my statement has a lot more to do with the total movie going experience. If the digital capture bothers you so much, then why are you in the cinema in the first place? To view the wonders of film frames captured on 35mm stock, or are you there to have an experience of emotions, laughter, tears, disgust, wonder, amazement, and thought provocation? Like I said, artfully missing the point.
    In my opinion the colors used in a movie display have great impact on how I emotionally respond to that movie, so they are of essential importance to the whole movie watching experience. If that aspect is lacking in finesse (as exemplified by "Skyfall", and probably many others), there is one less advantage of movie theater screen over viewing an MPEG4 on my laptop, which means one less reason to go to a movie theater.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do agree that colors mean a lot to the mood, but have not yet witnessed a big enough difference in the presentation that it's made a difference in how I appreciate a movie. I'm pretty sure that movie makers are intimately aware of the psychological effect of color, so I think what you witness personally is a matter of taste. I'm certain that in a production such as Skyfall, cinematographers, producers, and directors have discussed how colors need to be presented.

I'm sorry that digital is making such a big difference for you, and I hope that you can find ways to enjoy it again.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen some of those splices, fortunately not during the show. One was at a check screening of a print for the Australian premiere of "The Piano" and it was my humble duty to make sure everything was ship shape. I was less than amused to see the leading lady jump several metres across the set because the projectionist had "fixed" some damage in the print by ripping several feet out and resplicing.

It took some hours and God's blessing to find an undamaged print in Australia in the couple of hours before the show. I would have preferred a total digital breakdown rather than some cackhanded dopey projectionist "helping" us out. Furthermore the director, Jane Campion, would be likely to have my intestines for garters had this proceeded.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I do agree that colors mean a lot to the mood, but have not yet witnessed a big enough difference in the presentation that it's made a difference in how I appreciate a movie. I'm pretty sure that movie makers are intimately aware of the psychological effect of color, so I think what you witness personally is a matter of taste. I'm certain that in a production such as Skyfall, cinematographers, producers, and directors have discussed how colors need to be presented.
    The producers of "Skyfall" were probably extremely proud of all the high-ISO stunts they could pull with their new capture medium and wanted to show off these new capabilities at their best. Excitement about a new medium does not create interesting pictures, though. Maybe we will see a phase where this excitement fades out and directors start making decent looking movies again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    I've seen some of those splices, fortunately not during the show. One was at a check screening of a print for the Australian premiere of "The Piano" and it was my humble duty to make sure everything was ship shape. I was less than amused to see the leading lady jump several metres across the set because the projectionist had "fixed" some damage in the print by ripping several feet out and resplicing.

It took some hours and God's blessing to find an undamaged print in Australia in the couple of hours before the show. I would have preferred a total digital breakdown rather than some cackhanded dopey projectionist "helping" us out. Furthermore the director, Jane Campion, would be likely to have my intestines for garters had this proceeded.
    From what I have seen, directors must be pretty mellow now. When we saw "Wallstreet II" in digital projection (in a big movie theater, mind you), several scenes, especially where they panned across skylines, had interlacing artifacts that were so bad that I couldn't believe people would put up with this. Of course they could have fixed that by pushing the right buttons on their projector, but they didn't bother. Amateur youtube clips have better quality for free than what we were charged 10 Euros each to watch.

Recording a movie on film does not automagically make a good movie or suitable color palette, but my impression is that those, who chose the non-standard option to record a movie, are those who will go the extra mile for quality. Likewise, if movie theaters chose digital projection because it allows them to project movies with less qualified people, that's what you get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Probably not the end of non-motion picture film, but certainly the end of my patronizing any theaters. What's the point? There's a nice TV in my home.
    You said it, man! Exactly my thinking. And as a bonus, no more having to put up with other people's chatter and their cell phones going off.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post

Too bad they didn't see fit to send a brand new print for the Australian premiere, especially with the director present.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    You said it, man! Exactly my thinking. And as a bonus, no more having to put up with other people's chatter and their cell phones going off.
    You will seriously miss something if you don't go to movie theaters, like this for example ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    You will seriously miss something if you don't go to movie theaters, like this for example ...
    Yeah, or this
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The producers of "Skyfall" were probably extremely proud of all the high-ISO stunts they could pull with their new capture medium and wanted to show off these new capabilities at their best. Excitement about a new medium does not create interesting pictures, though. Maybe we will see a phase where this excitement fades out and directors start making decent looking movies again.
    Uncanny similarity to computer generated content. If done tastefully it can be almost seamless.

Let's hope it's a fad.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wow, cops are so stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Yeah, or this
    Wow, that will teach people to stop texting in theaters...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin