Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,225   Online: 831

Shooter
    35mm

We need an analog film finder iphone app. (ilford?)

So why haven't anyone thought about making an iphone/android app that has registered all shops that sell - process film. Combined with Ilfords darkroom information it would be a great source of information. The user could register shops themselves so there will not be so much work to produce.

I know Kodak has one, but they seems to have only very few shops-labs registered.

Anders

Shooter
    35mm

then

Then I'd have to buy another silly portable gizmo I don't need or want. Why not an old fashioned posting on the Internet or is that too Luddidte?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy all my film online. Most stores (which don't sell online) I've been in that still sell film do not keep it cold stored.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is an app called aroundme that might do what you are looking for.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    I usually buy alot of my film online as well, but it is a nice way to support local filmstores.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaavie View Post
    The user could register shops themselves so there will not be so much work to produce.

... only very few shops-labs registered.
    And therein lies the problem. The app is probably easy. It's the data collection that is the snag.

Wiki type collections of data are proposed on this and other forums all the time - usually internet based, but times are evolving. Who's going to do all the "registering"? Perhaps some entities don't wish to be registered!

And maybe it's not needed.

We all know where we can get film locally. I live in a metro area of 6 million, and I know all 3 places I can get film. However, that's a moving target as it's not the same short list it was a few years ago. When one travels, one can ask on a forum such as this: "I'm going to <blank> ..." and someone from blank can tell you where to buy film at that time.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once spent a lot of time doing a comparison of like films + shipping at about six online retailers. It was a bit of work, and imagine it would not be easy for an App to stay current, though I like the idea.

Another idea, subject to whim and human error, would be like gasbuddy.com. People report prices when they purchase. Not as good as the automated App idea, though.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin