Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,383   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Alaris article in Amateur Photographer...

For those who missed it (i.e. anyone not in Britain mostly), there was a short news article in the Amateur Photographer of 18th January entitled 'Kodak on mission to double printing'. It was based on a briefing given by Lee Palmer (European general manager for personalised imaging) in London last month. The article says that a recent survey suggested that only 2% of images are ever printed, and Kodak Alaris want to double that to 4% to boost colour paper sales, the paper being made in Harrow, England. They propose to do this via smartphone apps and tablet computer apps to allow direct upload of digital images. The article also states that professional film sales increased by 15% last year but that overall sales, including consumer film, were down by 30%. It doesn't separate out how much just consumer film sales were down.

I think it's an interesting, if brief, article. Kodak Alaris seem to be on a mission and at least have some idea where to go, and that fact that Pro film sales are up is very interesting. Let's hope it works out for them.
    Last edited by xtolsniffer; 01-23-2014 at 03:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks for sharing. Good stuff (sort of).

Seems Kodak is finally getting smart, (must be the Alaris part). Looks like they are basically funneling their film sales into their paper and print division. Which is smart, film sales will probably continue to decline but print will hold out longer, so they are being financially smart, and will survive, but it does mean that they probably will never make a new film again, just continue with what they still have, which I guess is pretty good news overall
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not too worried about no new films, I'd just be happy with the continuation of what we already have!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    They propose to do this via smartphone apps and tablet computer apps to allow direct upload of digital images.
    The feature of making photo books / uploading photos for printing, both from a smartphone, is something already offered from photofinishers.
    There is a lot of research applied at that industry. A industry typically overlooked.
    Last edited by AgX; 01-23-2014 at 06:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, a lot of companies already do it, with varying degrees of success, though the sites I've used are often slow and cumbersome, and the quality of prints is usually pretty poor. That's one reason that I still send print films away, low effort on my part to get high quality results, but at a financial cost obviously.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There were a couple of other pro-film features in there too. In their 'Ideal Cameras for Landscapes' feature, the X-Pan and several medium format cameras were mentioned and there was another feature near the start (which I can't remember at the moment as the magazine is at home).

I was quite surprised at how pro-film it was.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That might possibly have been a different issue Steve, I couldn't see anything in there about landscapes or the xpan, but there were quite a few pro-film letters on the letters page. Always good to see.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It was one I bought last night at Tesco, so I assumed it was the current one!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just happy they're working at promoting and expanding. Just keep the film coming.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The copy of AP I have is dated Saturday 25th of January.

Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    there was a short news article in the Amateur Photographer of 18th January
    That explains the difference then. It's probably because I went to Tesco in my converted DeLorean!

On page eight is an article titled 'Darkroom Revival Sparks Kit Shortage'. It is about a school which has appealed for equipment to expand it's darkroom facilities. Something I am aware of happening here too as a couple of years ago, I gave away an enlarger to a local school which was also expanding its darkroom.

Starting on page forty nine is the feature I mentioned earlier suggesting some medium format cameras as well as the X-Pan for landscape use. The first image in the article is captioned 'This picture was shot using medium format film for a smooth gradation of tones that is difficult to achieve when shooting digital images'.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 01-23-2014 at 12:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin