Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,592   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Canoga Cameras. 91303 CA USA

After years of steady decline another one bites the dust. For many years a great shop for both pro and amateur, their signs says "going out of business". Sad, very sad... But unfortunately fairly predictable since they have been a shell of there former self for several years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sad to hear the news.

I saw both Claremont and Redlands camera stores go out of business many years back now too. Very hard to go up against all the big on line stores. The on line stores provide no tax purchases in many cases too with delivery to the porch.

Shooter
    35mm

canoga

Yes, for many years Canoga Camera was a great place to shop. I went in there around Thanksgiving -- after not being in the area since 1990 -- and everything they sold was digital. That was the end for me.
    There were several great camera stores along Ventura Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley (near where Canoga camera was) and they are all gone. One is a boutique or nail shop.
    In the late 1960s those camera shops were full of nearly new Leica M cameras. There was a recession then in the aerospace business and a lot of out-of-work aerospace engineers sold their toys. I shoulda bought a couple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scott Bloom now at Woodland Hills Camera was my go to guy at Canoga for years before I escaped LA in 1994. I remember soooo many great shops in the SF valley in the 80's and early 90's, but I'm very grateful to have left for good before it all came crashing down.....

Shooter
    Medium Format

Takes Me Back

I haven't lived in the area for decades, but I bought my first camera there in 1975—an OM-1. I still have (and use) the camera! Sorry to hear the news.

--Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It makes me wonder since the advent of digital imaging and photography has become a handmaiden of the the computer how many tens of thousands of other photographicretail stores worldwide have ceased trading, speaking as someone who worked in photographic retailing for more than 20 years it makes me very sad in one way, and very happy on the other to be retired and out of it
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of them, as you know Ben, have closed long ago. I'd like to know the number also. This shop has been in business since 1959... which is a very impressive span of time for a retail business. Now is a good time to be retired from photo retailing, or on the brink of retirement... but a very bad time to be in the midst of trying to have a career with which one can raise a family.

Last day for the retail store (which makes me wonder if the name will live on in the virtual world): tomorrow.

http://www.canogacamera.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2344

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    Sad to hear the news.

I saw both Claremont and Redlands camera stores go out of business many years back now too.
    I'm sorry to hear that Redlands Camera closed. I went to the U of R from 1969 to 1973, and was a yearbook photographer during one or two years of that time, so I knew that store well. Seems to me I recall also going to San Berdoo to rent lenses from time to time. The other photographer was a Minolta SRT guy, I used a Nikon IIRC and it seems to me some sort of LTM body with a WA Angenieux lens that I wish I could get my hands on now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    Sad to hear the news.

I saw both Claremont and Redlands camera stores go out of business many years back now too. Very hard to go up against all the big on line stores. The on line stores provide no tax purchases in many cases too with delivery to the porch.
    Empire Camera, which was along the 10 in Colton, moved here after Redlands Camera closed, and then they closed in November 2011. It hurt to see it go, but Claude the owner was ready to retire, especially with the financial struggles after the economic crash, and his sons didn't want to continue with the retail business. They kept the part going that interested them more, which is digital photo services like custom printing, restoration, PS work, etc., and moved to a new location with a new name.
    Last edited by lxdude; 01-27-2014 at 06:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that Redlands Camera closed. I went to the U of R from 1969 to 1973, and was a yearbook photographer during one or two years of that time, so I knew that store well. Seems to me I recall also going to San Berdoo to rent lenses from time to time. The other photographer was a Minolta SRT guy, I used a Nikon IIRC and it seems to me some sort of LTM body with a WA Angenieux lens that I wish I could get my hands on now...
    Yep, It was a great little place at one time. They seemed to change sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. They became more like a Ritz Camera to a degree, with more floor space given to frames and albums and such. They were still pretty good, but they weren't like before.

Maybe the place in San Bdno was Davis Camera on D Street? I think they're still there.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin