Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,301   Online: 839

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL and Kodak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Why is the NFL shooting 16mm film? NFL games are broadcast live on TV, which requires digital (TV shows broadcast at a later date can be shot on film, but live must be digital). I cannot think of any reason at all that they would shoot film movies.
    The NFL films aren't what you see in live broadcasts.

They document and promote the NFL.

They also to all sorts of feature presentations that show up in corners of the sports television world.

Here are their "current" productions: http://www.nflfilms.com/programming.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    In the early days of television the shows were live or on tape. Desi Arnez pioneered the idea of putting I Love Lucy on film because the tape copies of such a show were extremely poor.
    Actually, kinescope was the standard method of recording at the time that I Love Lucy started. Tape was just being developed and was of very poor quality. It was introduced commercially about the time I Love Lucy ended its run.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    The NFL shoots more film (16mm) per year* than all of the studios combined. They process their own as well. Every single game has multiple guys running around with Arri SR's.

*I read this somewhere a long time ago.
    All that slow-motion footage helps with that consumption rate!

NFL Films says they shoot 1000 miles of 16mm film per season.
    Last edited by lxdude; 02-01-2014 at 02:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The NFL films aren't what you see in live broadcasts.

They document and promote the NFL.

They also to all sorts of feature presentations that show up in corners of the sports television world.

Here are their "current" productions: http://www.nflfilms.com/programming.html
    Yes, they are documentaries of games with lots of field-level shots of the stuff going on along the sidelines, coaches yelling at players, players trying to keep warm or acting silly, etc., lots of slow-mo shots of the action on the field, and narration (not sounding at all like game announcing) over it all. They always have a story, like the snowstorm the teams were playing in or the underdog/overdog angle, etc. They are very well done.

EDIT: This really describes it.

http://www.nflfilms.com/about.html
    Last edited by lxdude; 02-01-2014 at 02:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Why is the NFL shooting 16mm film? NFL games are broadcast live on TV, which requires digital (TV shows broadcast at a later date can be shot on film, but live must be digital). I cannot think of any reason at all that they would shoot film movies.
    You are right. All their footage is digitized. The reason they use film seems to be their benefit from slow motion abilities of their film cameras in the past and not yet having changed their winning horse. With completely digitally filming being discussed though.
    In that the article and the TV report are contradictory.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The main reason according to the article is the longevity of film, compared to current digital storage technology.
    Digital, and extreme HD slow motion, is by far cheaper, and easier to manage, not to mention all the film lost due to mistakes (exposure/processing), and the associated cost.
    I guess they decided that its easier to store film as ultimate backup than raid arrays.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Digital is quite handy but is still quite iffy as to how long it will last. I have family photographs from the 1920 that are in perfect condition. Ditto with negatives from the 1930s on.
    None of our family digital photographs from the 1920s and 1930s have survived.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    The main reason according to the article is the longevity of film, compared to current digital storage technology.
    Which article? I did not read that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin