Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,006   Online: 930

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL and Kodak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

NFL and Kodak

Today, in an interview on the local NBC news, the NFL stated their commitment to film. The person interviewed referred to the ability to view film images directly and to preserve them longer than digital. He discussed their contract with EK for film supplies.

I am sorry that I missed a bit of it, but it does show that film is not dead.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The NFL shoots more film (16mm) per year* than all of the studios combined. They process their own as well. Every single game has multiple guys running around with Arri SR's.

*I read this somewhere a long time ago.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm

film

In the early days of television the shows were live or on tape. Desi Arnez pioneered the idea of putting I Love Lucy on film because the tape copies of such a show were extremely poor. It made him and Lucy very rich. Digital is quite handy but is still quite iffy as to how long it will last. I have family photographs from the 1920 that are in perfect condition. Ditto with negatives from the 1930s on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film has a big advantage for NFL films - it is far easier (or at least cheaper) to do super slow motion filming with film than it is with digital. And NFL Films and slow motion kind of go together .
    I am glad to hear of the interview, because last I heard NFL Films were actively pursuing transition to digital media.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I asked Pete Carroll once ("Film or digital?") ... yes, met him and couldn't think of any thing else to ask. Duh.

Anyway, he said without hesitation: "Film, of course!". Go Seahawks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Film has a big advantage for NFL films - it is far easier (or at least cheaper) to do super slow motion filming with film than it is with digital. And NFL Films and slow motion kind of go together .
    I am glad to hear of the interview, because last I heard NFL Films were actively pursuing transition to digital media.
    not really.
    the arri sr's only go to 120fps and that's easily obtainable with many current video cams. 150fps burns up a 400ft load pretty quickly.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This was nice to read! I may have to start watching more NFL games.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This link tangentially adds more (although it talks about a coming transition to digital): http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com...nsing-hd/38804
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    This was nice to read! I may have to start watching more NFL games.
    +1

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why is the NFL shooting 16mm film? NFL games are broadcast live on TV, which requires digital (TV shows broadcast at a later date can be shot on film, but live must be digital). I cannot think of any reason at all that they would shoot film movies.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin