Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,532   Online: 1045

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are right on the pension costs. In the past these were to be paid by profits from that division. In times of severely shrinking markets research into new products would be the way to go. With Agfa seemingly steering off from material sciences and hardly funding research into new materials there will be problem. The other divisions who themselves need a lot of funds to establish their new products will have to take those costs too.

If I remember well pension costs were a constant topic in company statements since the AgfaPhoto case.

There seem to be basically two attitudes: that in bad times both, owners/investors and employees have to give in and that even in bad times the employees must hold their level.

One can assume though that investors have more cushion in their private lives to take in than employees.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-05-2014 at 05:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One could assume investors have more cushion than employees. But assumptions are not necessarily fact.

Often the "investors" at least in this country, are other pension plans trying to make money for their people, or individuals, who in this country have what is known as a 401k.

My company, based in Germany, ended our pension plan, here in the US a few years ago. Now we only have 401K plans, which they contribute some many to.

If the stock in the plan for a company goes worthless, then my savings decrease.

We need to realize that we are all in this together. If the company fails, nobody wins. Not the investors, not the employees, not the retired people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    ...Now we only have 401K plans, which they contribute some many to.

If the stock in the plan for a company goes worthless, then my savings decrease...
    A common perception based on drinking the Kool-Aid. If you've got your 401k contributions in stock, they're not "savings." They're a crap-shoot. Just like any non-401k stock investment. Anyone interested in "savings" will elect the Stable Value Fund option. Not sexy, not high-return, just slow-and-steady growth. Unfortunately, many employers only make matching contributions in company stock. A really, really bad thing. As soon as the plan allowed it, all mine acquired that way was immediately transferred to the Stable Value Fund.

As a nation, we have become spoiled children who want more than can reasonably be expected. I don't see it changing anytime soon. Oh for the days of 5.25% passbook savings accounts and loans at a reasonable spread above that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thread noted, opinion withheld. You're welcome.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 03-06-2014 at 12:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Looking at their film products I notice that they seem to have several colour products with near-infrared sensitivity (if I read the sensitivity curves correctly). I'm surprised those products aren't also repackaged for consumer use, like the BW infrared films. Or would the filtration needed make the result tonally indistinguishable from the BW films?

Copy films:
    http://agfa.com/sp/global/en/binarie...m611-42598.pdf
    http://agfa.com/sp/global/en/binarie...m611-42599.pdf
    Motion picture print film:
    http://agfa.com/sp/global/en/binarie...m611-36871.pdf
    In addition there's both colour and B&W paper.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have to take into account: absolute sensitivity in the IR-Region and size availability and put this in perspective with the offer of monochrome films with IR-sensitivity and make your decision.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mailed Agfa-Gevaert a year ago and they replied swiftly with a great offer for ten cans of 70mm IR Aviphot BW film. For a variety of reasons (non-EU European customs back then being one), I didn't take them up on the offer. This month, no reply to several mails, sent through same channels as previously. Hopefully the strike didn't ruin such nice company communication.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin